Updating Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Ubuntu Linux

I got my new HomeTroller SEL Pro today and got it up and working. So far so good. One question, sorry if it's been asked, the current version of Ubuntu on my system is 14.04.1 LTS. I know this is old. Should I update it and if so can someone point me to a procedure. I was able to update the rest of the HS3 software.
    Thanks in advance, John

Update: So after doing some research I found that it's probably a good idea to update Linux on the Home Troller to get any security updates at the minimum and because 14.04 and even 16.04 is not supported any longer. That said when I tried to do an update I kept getting "No Updates Found". I then executed the commands from this link > https://0x00sec.org/t/ubuntu-upgradi...s-not-work/836 and now when I use the software updater it will let me update to 16.04 and eventually to 18.04. Now the big question is from reading the forums, it looks like HS3 and the rest of the Homeseer programs work fine with 18.04. Has anyone upgraded beyond 14.04 and had any problems with the Homeseer software? At the end of the day the only reason not to upgrade Linux is if the newer OS "breaks" anything with the Homeseer software.

Comment

You will surely need to update mono too

Comment

I recently did this exact upgrade. Two steps, first to go to 16.04 and then 18.04 (no direct 18.04 route from 16.04). The SEL ships with the sources file greatly edited, you'll need to fix that so you can see the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
          I recently did this exact upgrade. Two steps, first to go to 16.04 and then 18.04 (no direct 18.04 route from 16.04). The SEL ships with the sources file greatly edited, you'll need to fix that so you can see the updates.
          When you did the upgrade did you have any problems with any of the Homeseer software? How do you update mono?

Comment

Originally posted by jrref View Post

When you did the upgrade did you have any problems with any of the Homeseer software? How do you update mono?
            I had actually been upgrading Mono all along, so was running 5.x on 14.02, 6.x wasn't available so I upgraded to that post install. Everything is running fine, no stability issues from the OS change.

Comment

I had actually been upgrading Mono all along, so was running 5.x on 14.02, 6.x wasn't available so I upgraded to that post install. Everything is running fine, no stability issues from the OS change.
              Is Mono upgraded with the OS upgrade or do you have to load it separately? If you need to load it separately where's a good download source?

Comment

Is Mono upgraded with the OS upgrade or do you have to load it separately? If you need to load it separately where's a good download source?
                The Mono project instructions here will have everything you need:

https://www.mono-project.com/downloa.../#download-lin

Comment

With the current homeseer sel, has anyone figured out where the homeseer service is started? Is it done from crontab or a startup script?

Comment

I tried this today but my SEL is running 14.04.01 and I can't upgrade it to 14.04.04 so I can go to 16.04, etc, because 14.04 is not supported any longer. When I tried the update it complained a lot and wouldn't do the update. I have two choices, leave everything alone and worry about all this when and if the SEL ever dies or just get a new SSD drive and do a fresh load of 18.04 and Mono and be done with it. This way I have the old functioning system if I have trouble with 18.04. The Homeseer hardware is fine but I just can't get my head around why they don't deliver it with a supported OS for Linux or provide instructions on how to do it. I would even pay them a small fee to upgrade it. Very frustrated.

Comment

With the current homeseer sel, has anyone figured out where the homeseer service is started? Is it done from crontab or a startup script?
                      I found it thanks to Pete. It's In the
                      /etc/rc.local file.

Comment

If your gonna do a full install I suggest moving to Ubuntu 64bit. SEL (at least mine) shipped 32bit, but supports 64.

Comment

If your gonna do a full install I suggest moving to Ubuntu 64bit. SEL (at least mine) shipped 32bit, but supports 64.
                          That's the plan. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X