Suggested Upgraded Replacement for S6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggested Upgraded Replacement for S6

Hello. I am interested in replacing my S6 with more powerful hardware. I would prefer the same type (or exact match) form factor with upgraded specs. The box sits in a hot, dusty environment so it needs to be rugged. I am willing to spend a good amount on a powerful upgrade. Any suggestions? Also, has anyone ever set up a hot/standby situation with two servers?

Check this page out for the variety of similiar sized computers.

Mini-PC Barebone (BRIX)

A hot duplicate would have to have same hardware connectivity. Easy if it is all ethernet...(virtual).

In the early Homeseer 2 days here recreated my main HS2 server running Windows 2003 Standard server with a duplicate with same motherboard, power supply et al. I did have to move cables. At the time though it was only one USB cable which went to a Digi USB hub to two Digi Edgeports and a few USB devices.

Here updating the "old" Homeseer 3 server (mITX Haswell Chipset motherboard / 16Gb of RAM) to a new Skylake mITX board with 32Gb of RAM.

It using using this case (which I bought a few of a few years back).

hxxps://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/general-discussion-area/how-to-s/1322404-new-homeseer-3-server-diy

Also have updated the Homeseer 3 Lite box ...

RPi ==> AMD XiS Xi5A Cube ==> ARM 9 Core TVBox ==> BeeLink BT3 Pro Intel*

* running Linux Ubuntu 64 bit.
    * TVBox is 3Gb of RAM and includes Gb NIC, Wifi and Bluetooth running Armbian Linux.

The BeeLink BT3 Pro is an Atom with 4Gb of RAM, way smaller than an RPi and way faster. The average street price is $150 USD for these. I picked up an open box for $65.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Also these if you like the S6 hardware:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Comment

Thank you for the helpful info! I assume I can just do a periodic copy of all files from one box to another, and then change cables to my standby if the primary system goes down?

Comment

BTW here purchased 3 Shuttle Netop computers a few years back. Made one in to a HS2 server. They are shut down now and never did have an issue with them.

In the HS2 Windows Server days here would just do an auto copy, compress of the HS2 directory over to a NAS. Still doing that today with Linux HS3.

then change cables to my standby if the primary system goes down?

yes.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HP EliteDesk 800 Mini and Dell Optiplex Micro are two micro form factor alternatives you might want to compare. I have one of each--the HP is my current HS3 server and the EliteDesk is my home desktop. Both were purchased used (ebay) for good prices after new generation was released. Seems to be a steady stream of them from corporate desktop change-outs.
            -Wade

Comment

Here swapped out the old Shuttle family Netops for Haswell Lenova Thinkcentre tiny desktops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lenova.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.7 KB ID:	1325320

In fact looking for one now for a user in the UK.

He is using a modded Foxconn D525 desktop computer purchased around the time of the Shuttle HS2 build PCs forum posts.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
              X