Power Protection for In-Wall Z-Wave Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Protection for In-Wall Z-Wave Devices

I've been experiencing a number of power outages (local electric company not reliable) which have resulted in DEAD Z-Wave switches & outlets. The Z-Wave devices typically DIE after the electric company has tried to bring power back online (usually rapidly on-off-on-off). I use UPS's to protect servers and expensive electronics, but Z-Wave outlets and switches are directly connected in the walls. Is there a way to protect these devices? I've lost 11 Z-Wave Outlets & Switches in 4 months.

Check and read about it along these lines : https://new.abb.com/low-voltage/products/system-pro-m/surge-protective-devices-ovr and power conditioners : https://www.mouser.com/Power/Power-C...xgn8?P=1yzoxn9

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by rwenner View Post
      I've lost 11 Z-Wave Outlets & Switches in 4 months.
      What devices are you using? Just curiuos.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

What devices are you using? Just curiuos.
        I don't have many Zwave devices (and the switches I have are not installed at the moment)
        But if in doubt about the the devices I post in the links above, they are installed in the mains control box and they protect the entire premises so they have nothing to do with Zwave but will protect the whole house devices.

Contact your power distributer for best pratice.

Eman

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

I don't have many Zwave devices (and the switches I have are not installed at the moment)
          But if in doubt about the the devices I post in the links above, they are installed in the mains control box and they protect the entire premises so they have nothing to do with Zwave but will protect the whole house devices.

Contact your power distributer for best pratice.

Eman
          My question was directed at the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

My question was directed at the OP.
            Wow!

Am sorry I didn't check to see who posted. I thought I was responding to him.

You got it!

Eman.

Comment

Hard to tell if a surge or if it's the rapid on/off killing the devices... but would probably be worth investing in a whole-panel surge protector, something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Wh...RA-1/204761136 - the concept is any destructive surge will sacrifice the protector and save any other devices in the house. The downside is that you may need to replace the device often if surges are the problem and occur regularly, but will be cheaper than replacing electronics throughout the house. I haven't done much research into these devices, so there may be some models better suited depending on how large your panel is or if there are some better at offloading minor surges without having to replace the protector. Have you lost any other electronics or appliances to the outages?

Comment

Thanks all - - I like the Eaton whole house panel surge protector (great idea), I've already lost more $$$ then the $111.00 it costs.

My losses to date have been: 8 GE/Jasco Outlets and 3 GE/Jasco Dimmers. The Dimmers were older (z-wave) but the Outlets were new (z-wave +). The Outlets were on two separate 20 amp circuits, all of which had UPS plugged into them (these two circuits run a PLEX & Blue Iris servers, 80 TB of disk, SEL, 6 switches, router, & cable modem.

Comment

Working...
                X