Cannot setup Zigbee & Z-wave USB device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot setup Zigbee & Z-wave USB device

I created a ticket on this issue, but have not heard back from support (I also escalated it). I purchased the Hometroller Plus hub Model: HT-Plus-G1. It came with the Zigbee & Z-wave USB device. I've followed all the instructions to set up the hub and installed the Zigbee & Z-wave pluggin. On step 2 of setting up the network, I selected "Nortek Security & Control HUSBZB-1" but when I try to set it up under Plugins, I get to step 3 where it requires me to select a serial port.

All of the documentation appears written to support the dongle when HS4 is installed on the computer and not plugged into a hub. It will show up under (Windows 10) drivers if I plug it into the computer, but not when it is plugged into the hub.

What do I need to do to get past step 3? Unless I can get the dongled installed, this hub is nothing more than a brick.

Unclear what instructions you're referring to. Instructions for HUSBZB-1 are here. This procedure needs to be run on the Hometroller, once for the Z-Wave port and again for the Zigbee port. Once configured, two COM ports labeled "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge" appear in Windows Device Manager, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HUSBZB-1 COM ports.PNG
Views:	499
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1474227

To determine which is which, select one in Device Manager, right click and open Properties. Go to Details tab and display the property "Bus reported device description".

Name:	HUSBZB-1 devmgr props.PNG
Views:	456
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1474228
    This one is the Zigbee port.

Comment

Those are the instructions I am following. How do I get the driver package from my Windows computer to the hub? I can see it in my Windows device driver, but the install does not seem to show up when I am trying to update the hub.

Comment

what windows computer are you referring to? You should be setting up the drivers in the Windows residing in the hub with the stick plugged into the hub.

Comment

I have the hub plugged into my switch, which is connected to my computer and also the Internet. I went to http://find.homeseer.com and did the setup. As per step 5, I also created an HS4 Web Account. Now I logon to the hub using http://192.168.1.54/devices.html. The hub might have Windows on it, but I'm not seeing how to log directly onto the OS to do any driver updates, downloads or anything else.

According to the quickstart instructions, I can also hook it up directly to my monitor and keyboard instead of using http://find.homeseer.com. I will give that a try. I'm guessing that is the only way it can be setup instead of http://find.homeseer.com.

Comment

That hub does have Windows on it, and you need to get access to the Windows Desktop.

You'll likely need to connect up a monitor, keyboard and mouse. In the long run, it may be more convenient to remote in using either VNC (virtual network computing) or Windows RDP (remote desktop protocol).

When I got my Hometroller S6 some five years ago, the instructions stated it was VNC ready -- but it wasn't. I spent the first year fixing all sorts of dumb stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              That hub does have Windows on it, and you need to get access to the Windows Desktop.

You'll likely need to connect up a monitor, keyboard and mouse. In the long run, it may be more convenient to remote in using either VNC (virtual network computing) or Windows RDP (remote desktop protocol).

When I got my Hometroller S6 some five years ago, the instructions stated it was VNC ready -- but it wasn't. I spent the first year fixing all sorts of dumb stuff like that.
              Thanks zwolfpack. I was going to connect using cables, but decided to use RDP. Took a little bit to figure out the name/password combo, but finally succeded. Zigbee now appears fully installed, but do not see anything about z-wave. Now that I've made progress, it's time to start ordering my devices.

Comment

Excellent!

For Z-Wave, follow the same process as the Zigbee instructions to add the Z-Wave COM port. Instructions to add a controller are here. From the Z-Wave Controller management page, click Add Interface, set "Interface Model" to "Sigma Designs UZB", Serial Port to COM port corresponding to the Z-Wave device, click "Add", then click on the icon marked 'Click to Enable'.

Comment

I installed the Nortek Security & Control HUSBZB-1 in my HomeTrollerPlus hub last week. The install went fairly well, the instructions didn't specifically note that you had to go back and repeat the process for Z-Wave, so there was some lost time getting the PI's working. Well how well they work remains to be seen. I just bought a couple First Alert combo detectors running Z-wave as well as 2 GE Z-wave toggle switches. I have had no luck with either getting them 'included' in the network. This is my first Z-Wave install so it just might be something I've missed or not understanding. When I select the Action: 'Homeseer Include Button', then press 'start', the PI appears to do something for about 2 seconds. The GE toggle switch instructions say to press the ON or OFF to include the node. Am I supposed to do that within those 2 seconds? Totally confused. Don't know if the PI is working properly and I'm doing something stupid, or just spinning my wheels on a device that isn't working out of the box.

Comment

I've never tried 'HomeSeer Include Button'. The 'old-skool' method is the action 'Add/Include a node'. When this is selected and started, it starts listening for a join request. It'll stay in this state for up to two minutes, then time out.

Once the 'add' is initiated on the device, messages appear indicating its working. (Difficult to screen cap that as the display is erased pretty fast).

Name:	HUSBZB-1 add node.PNG
Views:	440
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	1474545

Comment

Well, that looks like exactly what I was expecting. What machine are you running that on? I don't have that selection for an action.

UPDATE: I did a full reset of the PI, after which I had the 'add/include' node action available. Finally able to add a node. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by field888; May 14, 2021, 11:28 PM. Reason: UPDATE: PROBLEM RESOLVED

Comment

That is strange...

My test was run on my HS4 "evaluation" system, running "beta" Z-Wave plugin 3.0.5.3, HS 4.1.15.0, on a Raspberry Pi 4b.

My Actions menu:

Name:	Z-Wave Actions HUSBZB-1.PNG
Views:	486
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1474565
                        This is identical to that shown on my main (network attached) controller, running Z-Wave 3.0.2.0, HS 3.0.0.548, Windows 7.

I have had this HUSBZB-1 for a long time (never it used it as my "real" system), so you may well have a newer firmware. Mine shows Controller firmware version: 4.32 (displayed in the log when the plugin first connects).

For your issue, you might try

1) Reset Z-Wave data: Plugins->Config, then click on "Reset Z-Wave Data"
                        2) On the Actions menu: 'ERASE this interface and create a new network'.

Comment

Success!!! I have my hub setup and working! My first device is a Z-Wave Leviton Plug-In Dimmer which is located about 40 feet from the hub and around a couple of walls. Aside from the first issue of not understanding the initial setup instructions, the only other gotcha was needing to configure the server to keep the applications running when I exit out of RDC. Seems like that should be part of the build, but not hard to figure out for those who have exerience with RDC. Since I need to manage this over wi-fi, I will start another thread concerning system hardening.

Comment

Great news on the z-wave front!. On a completely different note, because I was testing various things, it took almost 3 weeks for this to happen but HS4 just shut down unexpectedly. I saw one other reference to this on the forum and don't know if you are aware, but the startup task for HS4 as shipped out of the box, do mine anyway, was set to run for 3 days. I verified this in the logs and that was the problem - exactly 3 days since the last startup! I've changed my task and verified that it now functions correctly. Homeseer has said they have corrected this now

Comment

Originally posted by field888 View Post
                              Great news on the z-wave front!. On a completely different note, because I was testing various things, it took almost 3 weeks for this to happen but HS4 just shut down unexpectedly. I saw one other reference to this on the forum and don't know if you are aware, but the startup task for HS4 as shipped out of the box, do mine anyway, was set to run for 3 days. I verified this in the logs and that was the problem - exactly 3 days since the last startup! I've changed my task and verified that it now functions correctly. Homeseer has said they have corrected this now
                              That sounds frustrating. Where are you finding the startup task for HS4 and what change did you make? I might as well check it out instead of waiting to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X