Local Back-Up to PC from HomeTroller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Back-Up to PC from HomeTroller

Is there any way to back-up locally to your PC from a HomeTroller with HS4? The back-up file seems to get stored on the HomeTroller itself which won't be helpful if I need to replace the HomeTroller. I see that you can subscribe to a cloud service, but I don't want that. With HS3, I was easily able to specify a local folder on my PC for the back-up. With HS4, it won't let me change the back-up location to my PC, at least not any way that I can figure out. The process described in the HS4 documentation for changing the back-up location doesn't work for the HomeTroller other than a location on the device itself. Maybe there's a syntax to specify the location that I haven't figured out.

Originally posted by fschwing View Post
    Is there any way to back-up locally to your PC from a HomeTroller with HS4? The back-up file seems to get stored on the HomeTroller itself which won't be helpful if I need to replace the HomeTroller. I see that you can subscribe to a cloud service, but I don't want that. With HS3, I was easily able to specify a local folder on my PC for the back-up. With HS4, it won't let me change the back-up location to my PC, at least not any way that I can figure out. The process described in the HS4 documentation for changing the back-up location doesn't work for the HomeTroller other than a location on the device itself. Maybe there's a syntax to specify the location that I haven't figured out.
    Use the BLBackup plugin instead. You can store the backups anywhere including a LAN device (assuming you mount the folder on the Hometroller). Also, the base HS backup utility does NOT backup your plugins. The BLBackup (free) plugin lets you get everything in your HS folder all zipped up nicely. Good luck!

Comment

I spoke with HS support today on another problem and brought this one up. I was able to restore a backup from a remote computer but can't save to that very same location which is on another machine. I was told that it may be in the works, but I will be looking into BLBackup.

Comment

Originally posted by awsum140 View Post
        I spoke with HS support today on another problem and brought this one up. I was able to restore a backup from a remote computer but can't save to that very same location which is on another machine. I was told that it may be in the works, but I will be looking into BLBackup.
        Is that a Boxer in your avatar?

Comment

No, that's a South African Boerboel, 165 pounds worth of loyalty and love.

Comment

Originally posted by awsum140 View Post
            No, that's a South African Boerboel, 165 pounds worth of loyalty and love.
            Your pup weighs more than I do! I have three Boxers, all rescues.

Comment

That was Bomani, our first. He left us about seven years ago, cancer. A year later we got Leonidus, Unfortunately he left us as well with other problems. We miss both of them so much.

Comment

I figured out how to save a back-up from HomeTroller to my PC. It is not obvious. Execute a back-up as usual. Then go back into backup/restore and click on 'local restore'. Select the date of the back-up that you took, and you'll see 'download' in blue next to your back-up. Click download, and the zip file will be downloaded to your PC. You'll also see 'Upload' on that same page which is what I assume you'd use to upload the saved back-up from your computer.

Comment

I just use copy and paste in a case like that, but I also back up the HSPro to another machine that serves as a backup server.

Comment

Originally posted by fschwing View Post
                    I figured out how to save a back-up from HomeTroller to my PC. It is not obvious. Execute a back-up as usual. Then go back into backup/restore and click on 'local restore'. Select the date of the back-up that you took, and you'll see 'download' in blue next to your back-up. Click download, and the zip file will be downloaded to your PC. You'll also see 'Upload' on that same page which is what I assume you'd use to upload the saved back-up from your computer.
                    That's great... Thanks for the procedure....

Comment

Good info, thanks. I also set up the "auto local backup for 4 days a week. Anyone using that feature and have any comments?

Also wondering if there is a way to create a BACKUP GROUP and EVENT to automatically move a zip file to the PC on a regular basis.

...Al

Click image for larger version

Name:	snap003.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1540949

Comment

Interesting thought. I may look into that. In the mean time, besides regular backups of the whole HS machine being run by a backup server, I use BLBackup to write a daily backup to an SD card in the HS machine. Kind of another layer of redundancy.

Comment

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-the-pc-part-2

more hereā€¦..

Comment

This method worked for me - I had to swap out a faulty SD card. Installed HS on a new SD from the downloads section here. Made the backup and copied it to my laptop, then replaced the SD card in the PI - note that doing this required that I replace my old "unit" in HS licensing/account manager with the "new" unit (SD). The new installation did not have the plugins I was using, and the backup does not actually back up the plugins, just their data - so in order for the "backup" to be successful on a new SD card, you have to grab the plugins first - or later - in order for everything to work. I would imagine that a full image of the SD card would be a better bet - if you can get one before the SD card starts having issues.

Comment

Working...
                            X