Newbie - WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie - WiFi

I am somewhat new to this and therefore have a newbie question.

I am told that my HomeTroller-SEL (Linux) has built in Wifi, but I cant seem to find a place where I can configure it. I don't have the ability to connect a monitor or keyboard so was hoping to do this through the web interface?

Sorry if I'm missing something basic. Appreciate the help.

As far as I know you need to plug it into an monitor with a keyboard and mouse.

Configuring the Wi-Fi Adapter

Wi-Fi is included with your SEL, follow these instructions for setting it up: (You must have HS set up with the Ethernet cable first). A monitor and keyboard is necessary for setting up static IP address.
    a) Once logged into the graphical interface of your SEL. Click on the Start Menu on the bottom left
    b) Go to System and locate Network Connections
    c) Go to Wifi tab and click on IPv4.
    d) Click Edit and enter in your IP, Subnet, and Gateway.
    e) Click Save.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Wifi

I'm aware of the steps, but those steps don't make sense .. for example

"once you connect to the graphical user interface..."

This implies that I am connected using a monitor and a keyboard/mouse, which I indicated I don't have. If it is referring to the web interface, then that is false as well, as there is no start button on the web interface.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit : I should also add that I am not looking to setup a static IP. Just want the HomeTroller-Sel to connect to the wifi network in the home. This is a Linux based Hometroller-SEL.

Comment

"once you connect to the graphical user interface..."

If it is referring to the web interface

The instructions are referring to the desktop GUI that you see with a monitor connected to the device.

The network status icon on the top of the desktop GUI shows a network connection where it is you can edit you network wired and wireless interfaces.

Note too that Homeseer 3 on Linux only has a web interface. You can see the granular stuff running Homeseer 3 manually via a terminal console.

Normally it will auto start when booting the Hometroller SEL.

If you are familiar with SSH to the Linux device you can manually configure the wireless interface with a linux text editor or with WinSCP and do this without a connected monitor or via command line. You can install RDP if you want to use to utilize the desktop GUI remotely.

My Zee-2 (RPi2) Homeseer 3 device is in the attic and connected to a POE (Power over Ethernet) connection. I do not think I have ever utilized the GUI.

Desktop for XUbuntu is similar but not the same as this:

Network wireless settings are accessible via the drop down stuff.

Last edited by Pete; February 16, 2016, 05:48 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thoughts

Anyone else have any thoughts around this? Im still struggling.

Im trying to do this over command line and Linux, but i cant seem to get associated with my AP. tried everything using wpa_supplicant.conf etc.

I dont have a way to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard to it. RDP I dont think is an option on Linux as mentioned above. Thought about installing vnc, but surely there has got to be a better way. Is there any documentation on whats needed to do this over command line?

Thank you.

Comment

It could be the drivers or the chipset on the wireless device are not on the Linux box?

What is the MFG company and model of the wireless stick?

What is the MFG company and model of the Access Point?

Sometimes if you have the SSID broadcasting off it will not work. I have turned it on here for a few minutes, connected to the AP, then shut off the SSID broadcast.

We can do baby steps via command line.

There are a number of tools that you can utilize both via command line and GUI.

You can install and utilize xRDP (really easier to go command line), Linux remote (which is sort of VNC) or pure VNC.

Here too have and utilize Webmin, WinSCp, Putty (SSH) and one of the above remote desktops (rarely utilized though).
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Probably too late to help but I have found a couple issues that will prevent use of command line over ssh to do anything.

1. As delivered the unit will not startup without a monitor attached (at least mine would not). This means you can not use it until you connect a monitor and fix the grub issue that prevents startup. This is fatal to efforts to configure the unit. Also, I could not find instructions on how to do this unless you scan the web looking for linux startup issues without a monitor. This is fatal for efforts by a new user. This issue needs to be fixed.

2. The wifi interface does not appear to startup even after configuration if the hardwired interface is enabled for autoconnect. An experienced linux user can probably find this and correct it but again, this is fatal to a new user. You simply can not use wifi to configure the device.

3. I have not yet figured out the different user accounts and how they interact with each other. There is the HomeSeer account you get when logging in via direct monitor/keyboard connect. If you start the web interface from a remote PC (as the OP did) you see a "default" user account and password setup. This does not appear to have anything to do with the HomeSeer account, probably just for the web interface. If you start the Web interface from the monitor/keyboard you are presented with a screen that requires you to change the HomeSeer account. Why the difference ?

But neither of these appear to allow ssh connections. I was able to ssh into the box using the root account (still had the default password). Why bother to change the HomeSeer account password if the root account still has the default and there is no mention of this ?? Seems like a big security issue.

I agree with other in that the docs and setup *really* need to be simplified and made coherent. Otherwise. this is an exercise in frustration. It is no fun to struggle with a new toy, even less fun with an expensive new toy.

Comment

Working...
              X