Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get better voice audio from device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get the VoiceRSS script working with no success. I think the speak_to_file script is placing the file in a directory that the sonos plug-in can't locate. Anyone able to offer assistance?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post
      You can try Spud's excellent Chromecast plugin to get TTS output onto your Google Home speaker. It's in beta, but I am using it and it's very stable

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...ght=chromecast

A relatively easy replacement for the default Linux FLite TTS is Voice RSS. Albeit, it is a free cloudbased service, so your mileage may vary. I am using it and have not had any problems with it. You only get one female voice to use (can choose accents, eg. US, AU, etc), but it is a lot better than any of the FLite options.

http://www.voicerss.org/api/documentation.aspx

To setup Voice RSS on your Zee S2, you need to:
      1. Register an account with Voice RSS to get an API key.
      2. Install mpg123 on your Zee S2 from a SSH terminal like Putty. Run this command 'sudo apt-get install mpg123'
      3. Replace the contents of the 'speak_to_file.sh' in the HomeSeer directory on your ZeeS2 (/usr/local/HomeSeer) with the following script. Make a backup of the original file in case you want to revert to using the default FLite voices. Insert the API key you are provided with in step 1 in the last line of the script where it says 'Your_API_Key'.

Obviously not my script. All credit to the script writer, Dan.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Thanks for the great step by step. Works very good with anything I send to it typed in an event. HOWEVER

When I use ultraweather plugin to pull a weather conditions or forecast, the TTS is cut off. It still seems to work, but what is said is truncated.

not sure how to troubleshoot this anomaly.

EDIT: it appears it starts over every 100 chars. going out to the voice rss site to learn more
      Last edited by ; January 28, 2018, 01:55 AM. Reason: update of status

Comment

Working...
      X