Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create an event trigger with variable conditions tied to sunset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create an event trigger with variable conditions tied to sunset?

A friend and I have been mulling this over without success.
    We want to create an event that gets
    -triggered by motion
    -providing the time is after "x hours before sunset" and before sunset.

We can't choose the condition that checks for "before sunset but after this" because it requires a specific time to be entered, and over the course of the year, that specific time (Ontario) may actually be *after* sunset.
    I.e. "before sunset but after 5:30pm" would be fine in summer, but not work in winter, when sunset occurs before 5:30pm

We need something that moves the earliest portion of the condition along with "sunset".
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    -steve

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
    A friend and I have been mulling this over without success.
    We want to create an event that gets
    -triggered by motion
    -providing the time is after "x hours before sunset" and before sunset.

We can't choose the condition that checks for "before sunset but after this" because it requires a specific time to be entered, and over the course of the year, that specific time (Ontario) may actually be *after* sunset.
    I.e. "before sunset but after 5:30pm" would be fine in summer, but not work in winter, when sunset occurs before 5:30pm

We need something that moves the earliest portion of the condition along with "sunset".
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    -steve
    If you have the Easy Trigger plug-in there are Conditions and Schedules that will do what you want. Absent Easy Trigger, it also can be done with a virtual device. Use a pair of Events to turn the device on and off at the appropriate times, then use the device as a Condition in your motion Event.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy, I do have EasyTrigger - so I will have to investigate it more closely.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
        Thanks Randy, I do have EasyTrigger - so I will have to investigate it more closely.
        FYI - This post #2 will show you how to create a schedule that has time ranges tied to sunrise / sunset rather than absolute times. Then all you need to do is have a trigger on motion with a condition to check if the time is within the schedule period. See: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...274#post861274

Comment

That's amazingly helpful! Holy cow, I can get a lot of use out of that.
          Thanks for this link!

Comment

Working...
          X