From Windows to a HomeTroller Zee S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Windows to a HomeTroller Zee S2

Just bought a HomeTroller Zee S2 that was on sale to replace an aging Windows box, I couldn't resist for $99!
    Now the fun will begin in a few days.

Is there an easy way to migrate from a Windows based HS system that I currently have to the HomeTroller Zee? (I'm hoping yes)
    I have 206 devices (real and virtual) and 175 events - I would rather not have to start over again like I had to do when HS3 came out a few years ago.

I currently use a WGL W800 with the SimpleRF PlugIn as a receiver for my X-10 motion sensors. I have too many of them to try to replace with Z-Wave versions, I already have Z-Wave for lighting. Can I still use the WGL W800 or is there another solution I can use as an X-10 wireless receiver?

Any ideas, tips or advice is GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks for looking
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

What version of HomeSeer are you running now?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Dan-O

Comment

Your events will be the toughest to bring over. There is a 'Labs' tab in Tools -> Setup where you can export your windows info, then you import that file into your new Zee.

If you have Counters or Timers they may not make it over.
        Some Event Actions will have to be setup again - the sub-actions may/may not make it over.

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          Your events will be the toughest to bring over. There is a 'Labs' tab in Tools -> Setup where you can export your windows info, then you import that file into your new Zee.
          With the newer version of mono that should be on this generation of Zees, this should not be an issue anymore AFAIK.
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Excellent info about my events.
            What about my Z-Wave devices?
            Dan-O

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
              Excellent info about my events.
              What about my Z-Wave devices?
              Devices should be just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

As part of an evaluation of HS3-Liinux, I've exported my Windows installation to a Raspberry Pi a few times. Devices events, scripts, configurations all came across OK for the most part.

1) On the Windows system, I did the export from Tools->Setup->General->Backup Config. After export, check the log for any "locked file" type of errors. Some plugins have database files open which won't get exported unless the plugin is disabled. Disable those plugins and re-export if necessary.

2) After you've saved the exported zip file, open it up, then in the "Data.zip" component, check for large files (say > 5MB). It appears that the import process reads an entire file into RAM, so anything over some threshold will cause the import to crash. The specific files I had issues with were .s3db files used by the BLBackup and Device History plugins. Make a copy of the export archive and delete the big files. You can always import these manually later. (7-Zip is my zip file editing tool of choice).

3) Next, setup the Pi. Install the plugins first. Don't worry about licensing for now, as the licensing info will come across during the import. Generally, I'd suggest enabling them prior to the import, as some plugins perform some initial setup, and that setup doesn't get done if the imported configuration information is in place the first time the plugin is enabled (specifically, APCUPSD). On the other hand, another one (PHLocation) seemed to do better when the import was done before the enable. That was easy to recover from (by manually copying in files), thats why I recommend enabling plugins before the import.

4) Next, import. I used Tools->Setup->General->Restore Config; could also do it manually by copying in the contents of "Config.zip", "Data.zip", and "Scripts.zip" to the corresponding folders under the HS3 install root.

5) If you have any subfolders in your scripts folder, the import process doesn't copy these for some reason. Copy these manually if applicable.

6) Now its time to clean up some things. The biggest pain for me was the need to adjust all the script pathnames for all events with scripts (not including immediate scripts - those are ok as is).

FWIW - I've decided to stick with Windows for now. For me, there were too many little things that didn't work as well on Linux vs. Windows. I can fix the Linux stumbles (some creative hacking is needed in some cases), but it seems obvious that HSs' focus remains with the Windows platform that they have the most experience with.

Comment

HomeSeer rocks, litterally!
                  My daughter just sent me this picture of the Fedex delivery of my new controller.

Seems legit .🤔
                  Dan-O

Comment

Yikes, I hope it was laid on there gently!!

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                      Yikes, I hope it was laid on there gently!!
                      Safe and sound.
                      Dan-O

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                        As part of an evaluation of HS3-Liinux, I've exported my Windows installation to a Raspberry Pi a few times. Devices events, scripts, configurations all came across OK for the most part.

FWIW - I've decided to stick with Windows for now. For me, there were too many little things that didn't work as well on Linux vs. Windows. I can fix the Linux stumbles (some creative hacking is needed in some cases), but it seems obvious that HSs' focus remains with the Windows platform that they have the most experience with.
                        One small issue, I'm Linux illiterate.

What you're essentially saying is that I have a controller that will not allow me to take a functioning Windows based system running HomeSeer and have smooth importing into the HomeSeer system I purchased to run HomeSeer?

I hope HomeSeer decides to support the systems they sell, I can't believe that I'm one of only a few people that's coming from Windows to a HomeTroller Zee especially at the price they were sold at this month and how many that they sold.
                        Dan-O

Comment

I should have read more of the fine print. No HS Speaker - No Wireless X-10 receiver capabilities.
                          Difficult to use X-10 and Z-Wave together - Yeah I still have a couple X-10 modules for Christmas lights and all my motion sensors.

I'm not above doing a little work, but I can't see recreating my whole system and still have it be a backwards downgrade instead of an upgrade.
                          Back in the box it goes and then in the extra automation parts bin - very disappointed in the unit and the lack of features I need.
                          Dan-O

Comment

I should have read more of the fine print. No HS Speaker - No Wireless X-10 receiver capabilities.
                            Difficult to use X-10 and Z-Wave together - Yeah I still have a couple X-10 modules for Christmas lights and all my motion sensors.

I'm not above doing a little work, but I can't see recreating my whole system and still have it be a backwards downgrade instead of an upgrade.
                            Back in the box it goes and then in the extra automation parts bin - very disappointed in the unit and the lack of features I need.
                            You could always re-purpose it into a Z-Net

Comment

- No Wireless X-10 receiver capabilities.
                              There are three plugins that support a wireless X10 receiver. Are none of those three available for linux? Just curious.
                              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                              X