Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to use HomeTroller Zee S2 as a Remote Z-Wave Interface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to use HomeTroller Zee S2 as a Remote Z-Wave Interface?

Hello,

It's quite possible my search skills have failed me and this question has already been answered, but as I couldn't find anything I'm asking anyway.

Is it possible to use a HomeTroller Zee S2 and a Remote Z-Wave Interface?

It appears both are Rasp Pi based and I'm guess they run the same Linux OS and HS code.

Thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

Originally posted by jnl View Post
    Hello,

It's quite possible my search skills have failed me and this question has already been answered, but as I couldn't find anything I'm asking anyway.

Is it possible to use a HomeTroller Zee S2 and a Remote Z-Wave Interface?

It appears both are Rasp Pi based and I'm guess they run the same Linux OS and HS code.

Thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!!
    I'm a bit confused....

Are you wanting to use a Zee AS A remote interface?
    Or are you wanting to use a Zee AND A Z-Net remote interface?

Answer to both are YES it's possible.

Comment

I want to use a Zee AS A remote interface?

I have a spare Zee and was wondering if i can use that as a remote interface instead of buying the Z-Net remote interface device which would save me about $150 - which i'll just end up spending on more z-wave devices ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jnl View Post
        I want to use a Zee AS A remote interface?

I have a spare Zee and was wondering if i can use that as a remote interface instead of buying the Z-Net remote interface device which would save me about $150 - which i'll just end up spending on more z-wave devices ;-)
        Yes completely possible to do. There's several threads around on how to setup a raspberry Pi with a z-wave stick/hat as a remote interface. the Zee may already have everything installed that needed. You just stop HS3 from starting on the Zee and setup the ser2com to expose the Z-wave interface to the network and then in your HS3 primary add it as a remote ethernet interface.

Sorry for being abrupt in responses. Packing and getting ready to leave on a trip. zwolfpack is a great resource for this setup as well.

Comment

The hardware for the Z-Net and the Zee S2 is identical - consisting of a Raspberry Pi, a Z-Wave controller GPIO daugther card, and of course a spiffy case. The software is all different - the Z-Net doesn't utilize mono. That said, you have a couple of choices if you wish to repurpose your Zee - you can start from a fresh install of the Raspbian OS or you can reuse the Zee S2.

If you choose to reuse the Zee's OS, you'll need to disable the Z-Wave plugin (Plugins->Manage, click the switch for Z-Wave to off). Or you can disable running HS3 altogether by editing file /etc/rc.local and removing or commenting out the line that starts HS3 (insert a # character at start of the line "sudo /usr/local/HomeSeer/autostart_hs &").

There are a multitude of old post that detail how to install and configure ser2net, which is the software that creates a bridge from the network to the serial Z-Wave controller card. Here is one: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...91#post1060191

I'll repeat here and emphasize some details

Install ser2net
          Code:
          sudo apt-get -y install ser2net
          Replace the installed config file /etc/ser2net.conf with this:
          Code:
          2001:raw:120:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200
          Append this to the end of /boot/config.txt (this has already been done on the Zee S2 build).
          Code:
          # disable bluetooth function and restore serial0/ttyAMA0 over GPIO 14&15
          dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
          Modify /boot/cmdline.txt to remove the section "console=serial0,115200" (this change not done on the Zee S2 build, but should be).

Reboot.

Once complete, go to Plugins->Z-Wave->Controller Management and click "Add Interface". Set a name, select Interface Model "Ethernet Interface", enter the IP Address of the Pi, and set port to 2001. Click "Add", the click the "enable" icon. If all goes well it'll connect (green checkmark icon).

Note that the external LED won't operate. On the HS Z-Net, this is controlled via a HS customization to ser2net. (Long ago I I posted patches that provided this, but couldn't locate it. Wish the forum software had provisions to organize subscribed threads like the old one did).

Also note that this device won't appear on find.homeseer.com, as would an HS Z-Net. (I may have also posted my script for that, not sure).

Comment

Working...
          X