Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check integrity of the Zee's micro SD card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check integrity of the Zee's micro SD card?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Zee runs entirely off the micro-SD card - OS and HS3 app etc.
    And I've read in other threads that these cards can become corrupt.
    Is there a command I can run to check the integrity of the card? Something like the Windows equivalent of the CHKDSK /F command?

I'm concerned that I might have a problem brewing because my Zee won't restart when I issue the Restart command from the Tools/System/Restart.
    I end up having to unplug it and do a cold reboot to get it back.

Should I consider cloning the entire card and switching cards?

THanks

Current Date/Time: 9/5/2019 10:33:21 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V5 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 13 Hours 27 Minutes 19 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.15.10
    Number of Devices: 214
    Number of Events: 162
    Available Threads: 399
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.5: CM15A
    3.0.0.67: EasyTrigger
    3.0.0.18: EnvCan
    3.0.1.252: Z-Wave

I ran on a RPi2 for years and am now on an RPi3. I would just take an image of the SD card and store it somewhere in case you ever need it.
    If you want nightly images, you can use a USB storage device and 'dd' the SD card every night, but I would think that would work the SD card even harder.

So, I would just recommend imaging the card and store it somewhere safe.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

The equivalent of Windows chkdsk in Linux is fsck.

I purchased one of these Samsung High Endurance cards to put in my Z-Net. I have not installed it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B98GXQT...DbMST0D4R?th=1

Comment

Yes you can ssh to the RPi and type:

touch /forcefsck

Which is a one time deal to check your SD card on reboot. This empty file will temporarily override any other settings and force fsck to check the filesystem on the next system reboot. Once the filesystem is checked the forcefsck file will be removed thus next time you reboot your filesystem will NOT be checked again.

There is also a setting to run fsck every X time the computer reboots.

sudo tune2fs -c 10 /dev/sdb1*

set fsck after every 10 reboots:

* note that this is the SD card device (change it accordingly).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks.I'm not a Linux person, Googling as I go.
          I just ran fsck -A -C -r -V
          and received

running command fsck -A -C -r -V
          fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
          Checking all file systems.
          [/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) -- /] fsck.ext4 -C0 /dev/mmcblk0p7
          /dev/mmcblk0p7 is mounted.
          /dev/mmcblk0p7: status 8, rss 2472, real 0.011123, user 0.000000, sys 0.010000

Is status 8 a problem?

Is there something I should do to repair the card before cloning it? I'd hate to clone the problem, as well.

Thanks

Comment

Yes typically to check the partition has to be unmounted thus the check when it boots.

Type the command sudo mount and it will show the partition mounted.

You can also remove the SD card and check it with a Linux computer. Just check the 2nd data partition.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
              The equivalent of Windows chkdsk in Linux is fsck.

I purchased one of these Samsung High Endurance cards to put in my Z-Net. I have not installed it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B98GXQT...DbMST0D4R?th=1

Interesting suggestion and thanks. However at this time, I have a good stock of the micro SD cards so I would rather clone some backups.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Yes you can ssh to the RPi and type:

touch /forcefsck

Which is a one time deal to check your SD card on reboot. This empty file will temporarily override any other settings and force fsck to check the filesystem on the next system reboot. Once the filesystem is checked the forcefsck file will be removed thus next time you reboot your filesystem will NOT be checked again.

There is also a setting to run fsck every X time the computer reboots.

sudo tune2fs -c 10 /dev/sdb1*

set fsck after every 10 reboots:

* note that this is the SD card device (change it accordingly).
                Great, I used Putty and did that and didn't see any error messages on the subsequent boot.
                I will file this suggestion to implement once I clear this stuff up.

Comment

As Rob mentions above a backup of the SD card would be recommended.

Easy to do if you remove the SD card, make an image of it. Save the image or write it to a spare SD card.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

As Rob mentions above a backup of the SD card would be recommended.

Easy to do if you remove the SD card, make an image of it. Save the image or write it to a spare SD card.
                    Agreed, Pete. I'm doing that today.
                    My only complaint is that I need to remove screws to remove the card. Wish it was one of those boxes where the card is accessible without taking it apart. Then I'd be making backup images even more frequently.

Cheers!
                    -steve

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post

Agreed, Pete. I'm doing that today.
                      My only complaint is that I need to remove screws to remove the card. Wish it was one of those boxes where the card is accessible without taking it apart. Then I'd be making backup images even more frequently.

Cheers!
                      -steve
                      There are ways to make live backups/clones.

Comment

Relating to the Zee you can purchase another case with an opening for the SD card for less than $10.

Very first Homeseer Zee here removed the SD card cover and left it that way.

Here using a 32Gb SD card such that I only imaged it once and keep an ongoing Homeseer directory backup.

So say your SD card goes. Just pop in the back up SD card, optionally update it and then copy over your most recent Homeseer directory.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

There are ways to make live backups/clones.
                          Such a teasing reply. Would you please elaborate? I would absolutely be interested in learning more.

Comment

Relating to the Zee you can purchase another case with an opening for the SD card for less than $10.

Very first Homeseer Zee here removed the SD card cover and left it that way.

Here using a 32Gb SD card such that I only imaged it once and keep an ongoing Homeseer directory backup.

So say your SD card goes. Just pop in the back up SD card, optionally update it and then copy over your most recent Homeseer directory.

Great thought. I just purchased one today!
                            I had imaged the SD card once, after losing everything in the Mono update fiasco. And now I make the HS/Z-wave backup Zips very often, I want to create more card images for added peace of mind.

Comment

Yes typically to check the partition has to be unmounted thus the check when it boots.

Type the command sudo mount and it will show the partition mounted.

You can also remove the SD card and check it with a Linux computer. Just check the 2nd data partition.
                              Pardon my confusion.
                              You suggested that I check the second data partition in this thread.
                              But in another one, for creating the backup image, you said I should image the first one.
                              Can you please clarify?

Thanks
                              -steve

Comment

Working...
                              X