Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I create a cloned “swappable” backup of zee and Z-net boxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I create a cloned “swappable” backup of zee and Z-net boxes?

We have a remote vacation house where our only neighbor is not very “technical”, and from which we could be away for up to three months at a time. I use a Homeseer Zee there, and am thinking of adding a Z-net to bring Z-wave devices in a separate building now controlled by an ISY under Homeseer’s control (removing the ISY if I do so, of course). Reliability at this site is a big concern because of its location, so... In the event of a catastrophic failure such as a corrupted SD card, I’d like to have the ability for my neighbor to just swap out the Homeseer box or the Z-net box with a cloned version I could leave on-site, as that would just involve plugging in power and ethernet. But is that possible? I know I could just clone the SD card, but what else is involved in creating a true “swappable” clone of each device? If I purchase an extra device from HST so that I have all the necessary hardware, and just clone the cards in each, is there anything in the hardware itself that would cause an issue if we needed to swap out the boxes?
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

You should be good to go, but it's important that both Z-Nets boot up using the same IP, so make sure both MAC addresses are in your static DHCP list, or manual adjust them to force IP.

Of course remember to re-clone the network if you add devices

And run a simple swap test yourself to verify, which is a good time to write procedure down with photos and arrows, so the technically inclined neighbor doesn't unplug HomeSeer by mistake, or jank out wrong cable

PS: You could put both on an IP switch so you can remotely power cycle active one down and bring backup on-line. If Z-Net is PoE powered you can control that with a good PoE switch, either way removing need for neighbor.

Comment

Excellent points and advice, RoChess. Thanks!
      Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Working...
      X