Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Zee S2 hangs after about 7-10 days - how can I debug this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Zee S2 hangs after about 7-10 days - how can I debug this?

For a few months now (sorry but I'm unable to be more specific than that), my HomeSeer seems to become unresponsive after running maybe one to two weeks.
    That forces me to do a power-off reboot.
    And obviously I lose the previous logs at that point so I don't know what's going on.
    One of the warning signs I get is when it stops responding to Google Home voice commands, or events no long run etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could debug this issue?
    I'm not a Linux person, but I can follow Linux-related instructions etc. to help investigate.

Thanks in advance
    -Steve

Current Date/Time: 11/1/2019 9:45:40 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V5 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 4 Hours 1 Minute 49 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.15.10
    Number of Devices: 222
    Number of Events: 171
    Available Threads: 399
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.5: CM15A
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger
    3.0.0.18: EnvCan
    3.0.1.252: Z-Wave

Did you contact HomeSeer support?

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
      And obviously I lose the previous logs at that point so I don't know what's going on.
      The logs are typically not lost. It's just that HS will show the log since restart. However, if you select a time range that cover the period before the restart till after the restart, then the old entries are shown.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
        Did you contact HomeSeer support?
        No not yet. I first wanted to check with the very helpful people here in case it's a known issue (and ideally, a known solution).
        That will be my next step.
        Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

The logs are typically not lost. It's just that HS will show the log since restart. However, if you select a time range that cover the period before the restart till after the restart, then the old entries are shown.
          WOW!! Awesome learning-of-the-day! I never knew that and will try that right now.
          Much thanks for this gem!

I just went into the Log screen and disabled Auto-Update and then tried to change the date range but it wouldn't let me.
          The drop down field for both date fields had a fixed, uneditable date (today)

Just to ensure it wasn't caused by one of my Chrome plugins, I also tried it in Firefox (no plugins) and had the same issue.
          Am I missing a step?

-steve

Comment

No not yet. I first wanted to check with the very helpful people here in case it's a known issue (and ideally, a known solution).
            That will be my next step.
            Thanks for the reminder.
            You should contact support as they have a build that can potentially fix this issue. support@homeseer.com
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

You should contact support as they have a build that can potentially fix this issue. support@homeseer.com
              Thanks for the quick reply.
              I will do that immediately.
              -steve

Comment

WOW!! Awesome learning-of-the-day! I never knew that and will try that right now.
                Much thanks for this gem!

I just went into the Log screen and disabled Auto-Update and then tried to change the date range but it wouldn't let me.
                The drop down field for both date fields had a fixed, uneditable date (today)

Just to ensure it wasn't caused by one of my Chrome plugins, I also tried it in Firefox (no plugins) and had the same issue.
                Am I missing a step?

-steve
                Hi Steve, if you can't select anything older than that, then your log file is getting turfed on restart. I'm guessing the Zee has the log in volatile memory, rather than writing it to the SD card. On Windows, it gets written to disk and you can go as far back (there is a max file size setting and HS will start truncating older entries once you hit the file size limit). Not sure if the build that Rupp is referring to resolves that.

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

Hi Steve, if you can't select anything older than that, then your log file is getting turfed on restart. I'm guessing the Zee has the log in volatile memory, rather than writing it to the SD card. On Windows, it gets written to disk and you can go as far back (there is a max file size setting and HS will start truncating older entries once you hit the file size limit). Not sure if the build that Rupp is referring to resolves that.

Cheers
                  Al
                  Ahh, ok, that would explain it - and the difference across platforms. It's unfortunate that it can't make use of the extra large microSD card I was running it on.
                  Too bad there's no option available like forcing it to write to a USB stick instead.
                  I had set my log file setting to 250MB thinking "more can't be bad", but if it's not retaining it....
                  Hopefully HS Support will have some suggestions for that, too.

Thanks Al

Comment

Did this ever get resolved? I now have the same issue. I'm thinking hardware because it's several years old.

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by ebyars View Post
                      Did this ever get resolved? I now have the same issue. I'm thinking hardware because it's several years old.

Ernie
                      HI Ernie, I thought it had. I had contacted HS Tech Support and they provided me with a release that supposedly addressed that.
                      But I've actually had the problem at least several more times since then, the most recent being 2 days ago.

I plan to contact Tech Support again.

Comment

Originally posted by ebyars View Post

Ernie
                        I’m having the same issue with my 1.5 year old Zee S2 and I posted my problem just now in another post before I read this thread.

I bought this Zee to replace my old Thinkpad PC HomeSeer system and so far I am not impressed with its lack of reliability to run my lighting events when I am away from home for a month at a time. It hangs typically during or after running an event. The house has all programmed lights on until I get back home. I’m going to install a WiFi TP-Link power outlet so I can remotely power cycle it and the Insteon PLM next time I notice it is offline.

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post

I’m having the same issue with my 1.5 year old Zee S2 and I posted my problem just now in another post before I read this thread.

I bought this Zee to replace my old Thinkpad PC HomeSeer system and so far I am not impressed with its lack of reliability to run my lighting events when I am away from home for a month at a time. It hangs typically during or after running an event. The house has all programmed lights on until I get back home. I’m going to install a WiFi TP-Link power outlet so I can remotely power cycle it and the Insteon PLM next time I notice it is offline.

Sorry to hear that your unit/config is unreliable.
                          I've had mine for a number of years now and other than the odd hiccup, it's been fantastically reliable.
                          I had originally bought it to run on its own without having to leave a Windows machine running.
                          In my config, I'm controlling a few legacy X-10 devices and several dozen Z-wave devices, along with several Google Minis for voice control.
                          For me, it's exceeded expectations (speed bumps aside), and I would buy it again.

I suggest contacting HS Tech Support - they're actually quite responsive and helpful (along with many, many people in this great forum).

Good luck!
                          -steve

Comment

Sorry to hear that your unit/config is unreliable.
                            I've had mine for a number of years now and other than the odd hiccup, it's been fantastically reliable.
                            Good luck!
                            -steve
                            Yes I too replaced an old PC with the Zee. I have also noticed twice the Z-Wave plugin just dropped dead requiring a power cycle to get it back running. Wondering if I should factory reset it and reload a backup? I’ll eventually contact HomeSeer about it see what they say.

Comment

For now I just have mine reboot every Wednesday at 2:00am.

Comment

Working...
                              X