Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Zee S2 hangs after about 7-10 days - how can I debug this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bjhampe View Post
    For now I just have mine reboot every Wednesday at 2:00am.
    Is yours a Zee S2? If yes, how do you make it reboot automatically?

Comment

I use an Event. If the Time is xx:xx:xx, then Run Another Program or Process /sbin/reboot.

People have reported issues with this affecting the log but since I really don't use the log for anything it doesn't matter to me. Better than having the wife frustrated that the lights stop working.

Comment

Originally posted by bjhampe View Post
        I use an Event. If the Time is xx:xx:xx, then Run Another Program or Process /sbin/reboot.

People have reported issues with this affecting the log but since I really don't use the log for anything it doesn't matter to me. Better than having the wife frustrated that the lights stop working.

Great tip - thanks for sharing!
        With some recent release, (I believe), there's a checkbox now on the LABS tab to make the Logs persistent.
        Don't know when it appeared - I only stumbled on it this week and enabled it.
        Now, I'm going to let my S2 run until it hangs again, and hopefully be able to find something helpful in the logs upon reboot.
        If nothing useful is gleaned, I will enable this nice little reboot event.

Comment

I am not near my home to look but I recall some kind of timed restart line in the HS3 setup that reboots the unit every so often. Is that worth using? Seems that would do nothing if it was already hung.

EDIT: What I was thinking of is the checkbox to enable HSSentry in Setup. But HS Support told me that is a legacy holdover from the PC version and does not function in the Zee S2.

Is there a watchdog timer function in the Zee S2 that can be set to reboot if the HS3 app or the Linux OS hangs?

EDIT: There is no watchdog in Zee S2.

Comment

No watchdog timer thing that I'm aware of. Possibly something like that available in one of the hundreds of plugins available.
            Mine seems to hang after about 10-14 days running; never used to - it's something that started in the last year or so. So if I don't trap something interesting in the logs, I will start using this event......until the HS4 is released, and then we're riding a new horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
              No watchdog timer thing that I'm aware of. Possibly something like that available in one of the hundreds of plugins available...
              A watchdog is by definition a hardware timer that is on the processor board that the OS can see. The watchdog gets reset periodically by the application (HS3) but if it times out (typically a user setting) then the watchdog knows the app and/or the OS is hung up and pulls the reset line to the CPU and the whole systems reboots. You may well know all this but for benefit of others.

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post
                I am not near my home to look but I recall some kind of timed restart line in the HS3 setup that reboots the unit every so often. Is that worth using? Seems that would do nothing if it was already hung.

Is there a watchdog timer function in the Zee S2 that can be set to reboot if the HS3 app or the Linux OS hangs?
                At least on mine, it's the Z-Wave that hangs not the Zee S2 itself.

Comment

I contacted HS Support about Zee S2V2 HS3 getting hung up after 10 - 18 days. They said S2V5 does not hang and that I should upgrade to a newer image. They provided that image download in an email. You have to backup your system, then put that image on a microSD and swap out the card on the Zee S2. Then restore from the backup. I did all that and am now running S2V5 and am on day 2. We will see how long it runs without failure. If it hangs, I will add an Event to reboot once a week.

Comment

I contacted HS Support about Zee S2V2 HS3 getting hung up after 10 - 18 days. They said S2V5 does not hang and that I should upgrade to a newer image. They provided that image download in an email. You have to backup your system, then put that image on a microSD and swap out the card on the Zee S2. Then restore from the backup. I did all that and am now running S2V5 and am on day 2. We will see how long it runs without failure. If it hangs, I will add an Event to reboot once a week.

Thanks for sharing this info.
                    But as you can see below, I'm running S2V5 and it still hung on me again last week.
                    So I now run a weekly event to reboot Thursdays at 2am.
                    Would appreciate hearing from you if you find it helped you.
                    Cheers

-steve

Current Date/Time: 2/20/2020 11:09:24 AM
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548
                    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V5 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 9 Hours 3 Minutes 26 Seconds

Number of Devices: 226
                    Number of Events: 184
                    Available Threads: 399
                    HSTouch Enabled: True
                    Event Threads: 0
                    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
                    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
                    Device Exec Queue: 0
                    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
                    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    3.0.0.5: CM15A
                    3.0.0.71: EasyTrigger
                    3.0.0.18: EnvCan
                    3.0.1.252: Z-Wave

Comment

Thanks for sharing this info.
                      But as you can see below, I'm running S2V5 and it still hung on me again last week.
                      So I now run a weekly event to reboot Thursdays at 2am.
                      Would appreciate hearing from you if you find it helped you.
                      Cheers
                      Well that's a bummer.

I will let you all know how long my Zee runs before hanging. Then I guess we swap to HS4 and see if it hangs. It is HS3 that hangs, not the Linux system because the OS is always still running, just HS3 becomes unresponsive.

I read your post earlier about how you do a reboot with an Event to run an external process. What is the path and executable process name again please?

226 devices!! How is that possible? All on a Zee S2, amazing.

Comment

Well that's a bummer.

I will let you all know how long my Zee runs before hanging. Then I guess we swap to HS4 and see if it hangs. It is HS3 that hags, not the Linux system because the OS is always still running, just HS3 becomes unresponsive.

I read your post earlier about how you do a reboot with an Event to run an external process. What is the path and executable process name again please?

226 devices!! How is that possible? All on a Zee S2, amazing.

Hahahah - don't be fooled by the device count. I am using the EnvCanada weather plugin and it created several hundred devices for providing 14 days of various weather related bits of information - temperature, humidity, wind, UV, etc. etc.

But it works really well and I'm tickled silly at being able to do that and actually connect weather-related events/values to my house - affecting sprinkler routines, pool management etc.

As for doing the automatic reboot, here's my event
                        I had to delay the reboot to give it time to send the email (5 min was arbitrary)

I found the same thing - the OS appears to still be running - just the HS3 seems to become unresponsive.
                        And I found out that the "Persistent Logs" on the LABS tab wasn't working either, so I wasn't able to review the logs to try to debug.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS Reboot event.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1364562

Comment

As for doing the automatic reboot, here's my event...
                          Thanks for that event. Of course HS3 has to be running to execute the reboot Event, which the hope is that HS3 can always run for a week without getting hung up.

Now if instead we had a Linux app that would reboot the system every day, hour, whatever, that would be a more reliable solution since the OS always seems to be running after a HS3 hang. No doubt one is out there we could load into the Zee S2. Even better would be a Linux app that monitors HS3 to make sure it is responding, if not, then reboot.

Comment

Linux has everything build in to do this. Use CRON to schedule running the reboot command.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
                              Linux has everything build in to do this. Use CRON to schedule running the reboot command.
                              YESSSSS! Of course. Thanks for the reminder, been a long time since I last used Unix, QNX, or Linux.

Comment

Working...
                              X