Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeTroller Zee S2 - Totally bricked 12hr after installing HS3 3.0.0.551 (from .448)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeTroller Zee S2 - Totally bricked 12hr after installing HS3 3.0.0.551 (from .448)

Really disappointed now. No connection to the device at all. Was hoping an update to HS4 was going to put the S2 right. It's not been stable since HS3 3.0. I had to reboot every 2 or 3 days or else the thing stopped working because of the Too many open files issue.

The .551 beta update worked for a few hours and then the hub stopped responding to Alexa commands. The web interface was still up, so I did a restart and that was the end of it. Red light.

Maybe I can totally re-image and the S2 will start again? Wondering if I can I just go to HS4 (I pre-ordered months ago) or do I have to go back to HS3 first? Either way, I'll have to setup from scratch as I don't have any backup.

Arrrghhh!

Richard
    Sequim, WA (USA)

Send the Zee controller back to HomeSeer. Get them to set it up on HS4 for you.

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post
      Send the Zee controller back to HomeSeer. Get them to set it up on HS4 for you.
      That's a good idea, but I was suffering from automation withdrawal and needed to get the S2 back up ASAP. I stayed up all night doing it.

I tried to flash the HS4 image to a 32GB card, but Etcher repeatedly got an error after the first part of flashing got to 100%. The HS3 image worked, first time. I only have about 35 years of imbedded and application software development experience, so I struggled quite a bit. I eventually got the thing back up and running. I didn't have a backup, so I had to feel my way through, trying to manually match the previous setup. Homeseer terminology is a challenge to decipher. What documentation there is, mostly just restates the obvious. You have to setup the "Network" and "Interface". There are several options for "Model" and "Port", but good luck figuring out what choices are appropriate for HomeTroller Zee S2. I kept ending up with Home ID of 0 and no Z-Wave network. I tried many combinations and then gave up for a while. I'd left the thing with an interface set up for Model = none. I came back a few hours later and the thing had magically initialized. There was a network and interface all ready to go. I'd earlier responded to a support ticket and pasted the Help Desk Support details. I even thought that perhaps they'd remotely logged in, but I don't think so. Looking at the logs, I think the homeseer process restarted itself and I'd left the option settings - apparently in a good state. Woohoo - it initialized and I was in business. As an enduser, I find the whole Homeseer controller setup mysterious. I'm sure it makes sense to the Homeseer team and maybe users that spend their lives fiddling with their systems. I only have just enough contact with the thing to get it working and then hands off. Out of site out of mind.

I pre-ordered HS4, but I'm afraid to update now. When I updated to HS3 3.0.0.x, my previously rock solid S2 became unstable, requiring a reboot every few days because of a file handle leak - too many open files. Homeseer support only offered one possible solution - re-image the SD card. That seemed like too much work. I'd just wait for HS4 and hoped that would set things right. HS4 is finally here. The first step seemed to be to update HS3 to .551 beta. I did that. Initially it all seemed ok. But, within about 12 hours the S2 had corrupted itself completely, leading to my all night saga. I'm really gun-shy about updating now. I want stability. My needs are basic. Features are distantly secondary.

For now, I'm just hoping the thing will be stable with HS3 so I can get on with my life.

Comment

Working...
      X