Adding Zigbee devices to a Zee/Pi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Zigbee devices to a Zee/Pi?

I had a Wink system. Initially it was GREAT. Now, not-so-much. Got a HomeTroller Pi running HS4. Comparable price but it looks like it does much more. It is taking me some serious cycles to figure it out. One thing it said in the HST store was that it has free integrations with Zigbee. I assume that is just the free plug-in. What is the best way to get my new Zee to talk Zigbee? Is there a USB dongle or internal card I need to add? Looking for best practices. Thank you.

A Raspbee with JowiHue PI is one way. There may be others.

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
      A Raspbee with JowiHue PI is one way. There may be others.
      OK, This crowd is definitely over my head! To me it sounds like you may have just ordered a drink and lunch. I come from the Wink forum/blog/group. I will do a better job of researching first. The next time I come back here, I will know what those two things are. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryPlace View Post
        I had a Wink system. Initially it was GREAT. Now, not-so-much. Got a HomeTroller Pi running HS4. Comparable price but it looks like it does much more. It is taking me some serious cycles to figure it out. One thing it said in the HST store was that it has free integrations with Zigbee. I assume that is just the free plug-in. What is the best way to get my new Zee to talk Zigbee? Is there a USB dongle or internal card I need to add? Looking for best practices. Thank you.
        Yes you can use the free Zigbee plugin and a Zigbee dongle which is available in the Homeseer store. There are also other plugins and Zigbee interfaces that will work with Homeseer including the ones metioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryPlace View Post

OK, This crowd is definitely over my head! To me it sounds like you may have just ordered a drink and lunch. I come from the Wink forum/blog/group. I will do a better job of researching first. The next time I come back here, I will know what those two things are. THANK YOU!
          The HS4 Zigbee plugin is not a mature product for now, they will definitly get to it sometime soon but if you are planning on installing all different kinds/brand of devices you'll probably hit a wall where product might not be supported for a while...

On the other hand, there is the JowiHue Plugin that seems to do the job for many HS users. In my specific case, the JowiHue turned out to be an issue as it was not supporting the devices I wanted at the time I started integrating zigbee in my setup, this is why I decided to go with the combo "MCSmqtt" plugin together with the zigbee2mqtt tool.

You can do some research on the forum, Michael Mcsharry have a post eplaining quite well this inegration
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...qtt-on-windows

Have fun

Comment

Originally posted by goldriver View Post
            The HS4 Zigbee plugin is not a mature product for now....

the JowiHue Plugin that seems to do the job for many HS users.

he combo "MCSmqtt" plugin together with the zigbee2mqtt tool.

Have fun
            Oh Canadian brother (parent was from Montreal) you may have just solved this for me! I have a limit of 5 plug-ins. I have Zwave and Tuya loaded. I need to add one for my thermostat, one for my security system, one for my irrigation system, one for ZigBee...... <buzzer!>, one for LIFX <buzzer!>

So the answer is, I need to choose a protocol that gives me the best bang for the buck, and I need to do the same thing for the plug-ins.

Or..... do I sell the Zee (can I transfer a license?) (or keep it and use it for a backup) and spend the big bucks for full fledged machine? Hmmm. A LOT to think about...... I should have joined this forum a LONG time ago.....

Comment

McsMQTT is an especially good choice when plugin limit is a consideration. Zigbee2mqtt is easier to install on RPi than on Windows. If you need the hardware dongle for Zigbee then let me know at mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net with your mailing address. It is $10 shipped in USA. I forget the additional postage for international, but likely around total of $20. Do a google search for supported devices with zigbee2mqtt to make certain you device is supported out of the box. Others can be added, but a little more effort.

Comment

Working...
              X