Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how transfer HS from Pi Troller v1 to new G2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how transfer HS from Pi Troller v1 to new G2?

will G2 SW work in the G1?

if not, How export G1 HS to G2 HS?

Did you ever get an answer? I have the same situation with a HSpi running HS3 and want to transfer to new HS-PI-G1 running HS4.

Comment

no. the HS support leaves everything to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by geeTee View Post
        will G2 SW work in the G1?

if not, How export G1 HS to G2 HS?
        When you say G2 SW, what are you referring to? The HS4 Pi software? If so, no it will not unless you have a 32GB microSD card as the image requires a larger card than what is available in your existing G1.

Comment

hs4 pi g2

Comment

I'm interested in this too ... I have a G1 which I purchased in January this year. Now I'm thinking about the G2 to get the unlimited plug-in feature. What's the transfer procedure like (for HS4)? Is it hopefully as simple as taking a backup of HS4 on the G1 and restoring it on the G2? Would that also cover all my Z-Wave devices or would I have to re-pair everything with the new hub? I poked around some of the documentation and it looks like there's a Z-Wave interface backup/restore that might do this? Just trying to decide if upgrading for the removal of the plug-in limit (and more storage) is worth the effort of possibly needing to re-setup everything.

Comment

Their HS Tech Support basically told me to go away and also reversed the earlier statement that the upgrade is free. After so many many many wasted hours fighting such buggy HS v4 software and me finally having it stable, I have decided I am way too afraid of trying to upgrade for the sake of unlimited plugins.

Comment

What upgrade did they say was free? I'm not talking about a software upgrade though (I'm already running HS4), just moving my existing HS4 install to a new G2 HomeTroller without needing to set up everything again.

Comment

they said when they announced the G2 that the G2 image would be free for G1 users. Its in the forum thread where they announced it. That way you dont have to buy a G2 Troller - just a larger SDCard

Comment

Originally posted by geeTee View Post
                    they said when they announced the G2 that the G2 image would be free for G1 users. Its in the forum thread where they announced it. That way you dont have to buy a G2 Troller - just a larger SDCard
                    I don't recall any announcement that the upgrade would be free.

Comment

Ah, he's probably referring to this:

"Current HS4-Pi users can download the new image and flash it to their own 32+ GB microSD to get the new features."

That'd be interesting, I suppose, if I could crack open the case on the G1 to put in a larger microSD card with a new image. But it sounds like that was never released.

Comment

Originally posted by windracer View Post
                        Ah, he's probably referring to this:

"Current HS4-Pi users can download the new image and flash it to their own 32+ GB microSD to get the new features."

That'd be interesting, I suppose, if I could crack open the case on the G1 to put in a larger microSD card with a new image. But it sounds like that was never released.

This is what I thought. If you have an HS4-Pi G1 you have a HS4 license so installing the new image with unlimited plugins. If you have an HS3-Pi you would need to purchase the HS3 to HS4 upgrade.

Comment

I'm assuming the HS4PiV5-072621.zip download here is the version without the plugin limit (since the .img file is 30gb). Now to decide if I want to try putting that on a 32gb microSD card and then trying it in my existing G1.

Comment

I was able to successfully "upgrade" my G1 to a 32gb microSD card and now have the unlimited plugins feature working.

I'm actually pretty impressed how the restore of my HS4 backup went. Everything came back, including the Z-Wave controller config. The only thing I had to do was re-install my plugins but as soon as I activated them, they picked up their existing config and everything was working. It took me a little longer to put back my Linux-level customizations (changes to cron jobs, setting up the mount points to my NAS, etc. etc.), but it's all functional.

Two minor things: the HS4PiV5-072621 image only has a 69mb /boot partition, so rpi-update complains that it might be too small to contain updates. Typically this is supposed to be 256mb. Not a big deal, I'll use gparted to expand the partition later. Also, the timezone defaulted to UTC which I didn't realize at first until my events started firing at the wrong times.

Comment

I already have the G1 with the 16gb micro sd card and want to upgrade to a 32gb card, is there a procedure to re-copy the original hs4 and flash it to the new 32gb card? I found it.

Comment

Working...
                              X