S2 and Pi systems - SD Card corruptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S2 and Pi systems - SD Card corruptions

Since the Raspberry Pi based products such as the S2, G3, and Pi systems use the micro SD card, this posts apply to them. I am sharing this because I was lucky, with the help of HS Support, to recovery from an SD card corruption. The issues that very likely are related to corruptions of the SD card are: Backup issues, Events File disappearing, among others. The SD card is probably the least reliable hardware component in the central controller system. My SD card was the only hardware failure I have had in the 5+ years of using the Pi based HS S2 system.

So what are the most likely causes of SD card corruption? While there are likely multiple reasons an SD card can become corrupted, most do not mean the SD card has failed but rather the system created a corrupted file. I have come to believe that the most likely reason for the system related corruptions is sudden power disruptions either caused by utility company power flickers, which we see often, or by unplugging power to the Pi based system while it is running. To reduce these issues, I moved my system to a small battery powered backup like those battery packs used to recharge a cell phones to keep my S2 fully powered during a power flicker. The important thing is to select backup power unit that puts out a regulated 5-5.1volts and is rated for at least 3 amps and had the correct plug connector to fit the jack. This will run all the Pi based controllers. (note-the Pi4 uses the newer USB C style connector. The second reason for power interruptions is me. I am now constantly reminding myself to first perform a full shutdown of the HS system which performs an orderly shutdown of both the HS application, and the Linux operating system. This done from the tools menus in HS4 or HS3 by selecting the Shut Down System choice.

It should be noted that the controller will often survive power fails and come back up without any issues, but not always. I mentioned a backup corruption and the loss of the Events file as two issues that are most likely reasons for SD card corruptions. These two files heavily exercise the SD card when they are running. The backup corruption would most likely happen when a power interruption occurs during a backup. A corruption that causes a loss of the events file is likely because the events file is among the most active files being used in the system so it is first in line to get corrupted by a power loss event.

In my case when I lost my events file and went to restore it, I discovered that my backups had stopped working 8 months back and that file was corrupted and permanently corrupted every controller it was restore into requiring a re-flash of the SD card to correct the corrupted system. Fortunately with the help of HS support I did not to have to recreate and reenter the more then 180 events with about 750 total lines of programming to recover my system. So as I said I was lucky. I am also going to create a post about the backup and the SD cards role in that.

I might be in a similar situation. I can't access the web interface, but I can access the S2 via SSH. Do you still have what you did to save your devices and events files?

Comment

If you go to the 911 page (ip/911) you should have an option to reinstall HS4. This will not overwrite any of your config settings but should get the web interface back.

SD card corruption has been very rare (at least I have not seen many reports). We had made some changes to move a few things to a ram disk to avoid possible corruption.

Originally posted by SeaOtter View Post
      I might be in a similar situation. I can't access the web interface, but I can access the S2 via SSH. Do you still have what you did to save your devices and events files?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am running HS4 on a Zee S2 Raspberry Pi controller, and have recently had an SD card corruption. When I attempt to boot up the system, all looks well until I get the following errors in the command console (see image below) ....Notice the repeated error reading the file system....Once this error occurs, the system is hung. The keyboard does not respond, it can't be reached via network ping, or can't be logged into via SSH. The boot sector of the OS on the SD card has likely been corrupted. My first question is: Can this error be easily rectified? If so, can someone please advise on how to do this? Assuming that it can't, my second question is: Where are all my system configuration files located on the SD Card? I have removed the SD Card from my Pi, and have mounted it on my MacBook Pro. I can see the Root file system, and can view the files in it. I am thinking that if I were to copy all the files under /usr/local/Homeseer I would pretty much grab everything, but I really don't know if I need all those files, and am mainly interested the config files, my HS4 database, and anything else that would put a brand new install back to the same state as my system was before the system failed. If I have to start from scratch, how is the best way to take a new 32 GB SD card and get an image of HS4 loaded onto it. With my old system, I upgraded from an 8 GB SD Card to a 32 GB SD card, and I was never able to access the entire 32 GB. My system has been down all weekend, and I never realized how much I rely on HS4 managing my lights, temperature and door locks.​Click image for larger version

Name:	85592C7D-797B-46C9-80A3-7B7860AAA30F_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1600728

Comment

While waiting for the a response to my post, I found a web page on the HS website entitled "Clean Install of HS4 on Zee S2. Using Option 2, I have downloaded the install.zip file, and after formatting the 32 GB SD Card, have copied the files containing in the zip file to the SD Card. I still have not found any information about where the required system database and configuration files are located, so I still require assistance with this.

Comment

I think you are asking about the HomeSeer files? All of HomeSeer is in /usr/local/HomeSeer. You can simply copy that entire directory to a new SD card if needed.

Originally posted by grp View Post
            While waiting for the a response to my post, I found a web page on the HS website entitled "Clean Install of HS4 on Zee S2. Using Option 2, I have downloaded the install.zip file, and after formatting the 32 GB SD Card, have copied the files containing in the zip file to the SD Card. I still have not found any information about where the required system database and configuration files are located, so I still require assistance with this.

Comment

Well, now I have an interesting issue that has cropped up. I grabbed a .zip file from the HS website, entitled https://homeseer.com/updates4/zii_pi_instal.zip. I then unzipped and copied all the files onto my newly formatted 32 GB SD Card. I then rebooted the ZeeS2, and when it came up, it asked me for my wifi login credentials, which I supplied. Then it took a few minutes to apparently download files from the internet and install the operating system and system files. When it was completed, the system rebooted, and then shortly after boot up, I get a repeating message saying: Error sending: Network is unreachable. When I log into the Pi, and run the ifconfig command, it clearly shows the wlan0 network, but has no network address. Then, when I run the command sudo ifdown wlan0, or sudo ifquery wlan0, both commands produce an error message saying unknown interface wlan0.

So, at this point, I am at a total loss. The wireless network is connected and operating perfectly fine when downloading and installing the OS, but after it reboots, there is apparently no longer an operational wireless network. I have spent quite a bit of time researching on the internet, but have come up empty so far, and this is starting to get really frustrating.

Any assistance in getting to the bottom of this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I would really like to get my Homeseer operational again, and the sooner the better!

Comment

I assume you are trying to reload the flash from scratch, with a new OS? Is this is a Raspberry PI board? And not a PI-HUB unit? If it is an RPI I would download our RPI image file and write this to your flash card. This will get you a clean OS with HS4 already installed.

Download is here:

HS4-Pi Release 4.x Software Image - Products (homeseer.com)

Originally posted by grp View Post
                Well, now I have an interesting issue that has cropped up. I grabbed a .zip file from the HS website, entitled https://homeseer.com/updates4/zii_pi_instal.zip. I then unzipped and copied all the files onto my newly formatted 32 GB SD Card. I then rebooted the ZeeS2, and when it came up, it asked me for my wifi login credentials, which I supplied. Then it took a few minutes to apparently download files from the internet and install the operating system and system files. When it was completed, the system rebooted, and then shortly after boot up, I get a repeating message saying: Error sending: Network is unreachable. When I log into the Pi, and run the ifconfig command, it clearly shows the wlan0 network, but has no network address. Then, when I run the command sudo ifdown wlan0, or sudo ifquery wlan0, both commands produce an error message saying unknown interface wlan0.

So, at this point, I am at a total loss. The wireless network is connected and operating perfectly fine when downloading and installing the OS, but after it reboots, there is apparently no longer an operational wireless network. I have spent quite a bit of time researching on the internet, but have come up empty so far, and this is starting to get really frustrating.

Any assistance in getting to the bottom of this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I would really like to get my Homeseer operational again, and the sooner the better!

Comment

Working...
                X