Z-Wave problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave problems

Ever since the new Zwave plugin was installed I have had problems with my sensors and lights.I dont know if it is a problem with the new z-wave plugin or a problem with a corrupted database, or if my 32gb sd card is getting full. I will have large delays of devices turning on/off ,
    For exampleI have one light that just turns on on its own at random times. I have a motion sensor that does not always reset back to no-motion. Is there a way to see if Iam running out of space or have a corrupt database? Just looking for some answers for z-wave problems.
    Thanks

Version
    HS4 ZEE S2/PI Edition 4.2.16.0 (Linux)
    MONO Version
    Mono JIT compiler version 6.12.0.122 (tarball Mon Feb 22 17:44:05 UTC 2021)
    Device Count
    Event Count
    Last Event Ran
    Motion : Send email for motion at front door, Ran at 9/22/2022 3:37:30 PM
    # of unique event scripts
    Plugins Enabled
    TPLinkSmartHome4:,Tuya:,NetCam Plugin:,Z-Wave:,Z-Wave Parameters:,rnbWeather:
    Modules/Threads
    89 Modules, 58 Threads
    Available Threads
    HomeSeer Memory Used
    103 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed
    NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,rnbWeather 4.4.0.0,Simmap 1.0.3.1,TPLinkSmartHome4 2021.4.30.0,Tuya 4.0.37.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0,Z-Wave Parameters 4.0.55.0
    Disk Size
    28.33GB

I ended up uninstalling the Z-Wave 4.0.x and rolled back to the legacy 3.0.x version
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

To see if you are running out of space, ssh into your Pi and run 'df'. Look at the Use% column. For a corrupt database, disable the Z-Wave plugin and then look at the log messages when you re-enable it. Normally, I would suggest you fire up Z-Seer and have a look at your network. Unfortunately, you are not running the Pro version so Z-Seer would be an additional purchase. In your case, you're going to want o enable debug logging for Z-Wave, but you need to make sure you have the space on your SD card first. Don't leave logging enabled beyond a short test period as it can consume a lot of disk space.
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I am not the greatest at linux, I will look at going into the pi and checking the run df command to see what I get, before I proceed. Also I didnt know you could roll back to the legacy zwave stuff. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

You don't actually need to ssh into the Pi ... you can run that command through the Homeseer UI under Tools > System > Linux Tools if you want. I prefer 'df -k' so the results are in kilobytes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-09-22_20-13-00.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	1567497

Comment

Or 'df -h' for 'human-readable'
            Code:
            Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
            /dev/root        15G  4.5G  9.1G  33% /
            devtmpfs        3.7G     0  3.7G   0% /dev
            tmpfs           3.9G   28K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
            tmpfs           1.6G  1.8M  1.6G   1% /run
            tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
            tmpfs           3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /tmp
            /dev/mmcblk0p1  253M   50M  203M  20% /boot
            tmpfs           790M     0  790M   0% /run/user/1000

Comment

Aeon Labs Multilevel Sensor will not add correctly. It does not create all devices. Error message flashed by saying it could not complete. Headed out of town on trip tomorrow so will wait for beta update. Applaudable try but poor results.

Don't see an option to rescan. Where are backlevel zwave plugins available?

Comment

Thanks for the update I will give it a try.

Windracer, Great quick info on usage. I think Iam only half full on my sd card used 6.1G. Whats funny is that I have a 32gb SD card in the Pi system and it shows only 15G available. Is that right ? I replaced the old 16G card with a 32G card and thought I would have extra space.
                Thanks for the tip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HS4 Pi disk usage .png Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	1567600

Comment

Originally posted by wolfe4656 View Post
                  I am not the greatest at linux, I will look at going into the pi and checking the run df command to see what I get, before I proceed. Also I didnt know you could roll back to the legacy zwave stuff. Thanks for the tips.
                  I think you can only roll back if you made a backup prior to updating to the 4.x plugin. Something about the 4.x plugin modifying the format of the events file.
                  "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Thanks windracer and zwolfpack . I forgot about the Linux tools to run commands from the web UI.

Comment

Windracer,
                      I have a question look at my previous specs for usage. I think Iam only half full on my sd card used 6.1G. Whats funny is that I have a 32gb SD card in the Pi system and it shows only 15G available. Is that right ? I replaced the old 16G card with a 32G card and thought I would have extra space so i expected to see a total of around 28G or so.

Comment

Windracer,
                        I have a question look at my previous specs for usage. I think Iam only half full on my sd card used 6.1G. Whats funny is that I have a 32gb SD card in the Pi system and it shows only 15G available. Is that right ? I replaced the old 16G card with a 32G card and thought I would have extra space so i expected to see a total of around 28G or so.
                        Yes, you are at 46% so you are fine. The reason you are not seeing all of your 32G SD card is do to the partition size of the original card. You cloned your 16G card, so the copy is only using 1/2 of your 32G card. Normally, you can just expand the root partition, but because of the filesystem HST uses for the Pi, it's not that simple to do. I'll let others, particularly zwolfpack, explain the process.

In any case, you should probably re-focus on what is causing your Z-Wave problems. Without a copy of Z-Seer+, you'll have to describe how many devices you have and what type of devices you have. Is your hub centrally located in your house? How big is your house? One story or two?

Comment

I replaced the old 16G card with a 32G card and thought I would have extra space so i expected to see a total of around 28G or so.
                          Yeah, like kenm said if you just cloned your original 16gb card to a new 32gb one, you'll need to use something like gparted to expand the partition. It might be easier to just back up your existing setup, then re-image the 32gb card with a fresh HS image and go from there. I did something similar, you can read about it here.

Comment

Back to zwave troubles, I noticed in my log that the zwave appears to lose its info and has to rescan the device, is this normal. Never saw before on old zwave plugin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zwave error in log.png
Views:	227
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1567750

Comment

No That's not normal. Is that the notion sensor you are are trouble with?

Comment

Working...
                              X