Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeTroller Zee S2 as a Z-Net and transfer from VeraEdge

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I could not find any of the needed information by using the Forum Search function.

I'm a total newbie regarding HomeSeer, but have previously spent some time with both a VeraLite and a VeraEdge. Please take this into consideration when replying...

Originally, my z-wave network was managed by the VeraLite, but I thought I should give the Edge a try too, because of the z-wave+ support. Surely, I was able to move my z-wave network from the previous to the latter with no problems.

Last Monday, I ordered both a HomeTroller Zee S2 and a Smartstick+ from the HS store. Should be here by tomorrow afternoon.

Forgive me for such newbie questions, but my understanding is that

1) I should be able to transfer my z-wave network from the VeraEdge to the HomeTroller Zee S2 in a similar fashion as I did before from the Lite to the Edge.

2) Once I have the z-network set on the HomeSeer Troller Zee S2, if I ever decide I need a larger system, with, say more than 5 plug-ins, I should also be able to transfer from the HomeTroller Zee S2 to a Windows or Linux box running either HS3 or HS3Pro with the afore mentioned Smartstick+ on a USB port?

3) If ever 2 becomes reality, would I be able to repurpose the Troller Zee S2 as a Z-Net?

Can someone please confirm my assumptions?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by cesarvog View Post
    Hello everyone,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I could not find any of the needed information by using the Forum Search function.

I'm a total newbie regarding HomeSeer, but have previously spent some time with both a VeraLite and a VeraEdge. Please take this into consideration when replying...

Originally, my z-wave network was managed by the VeraLite, but I thought I should give the Edge a try too, because of the z-wave+ support. Surely, I was able to move my z-wave network from the previous to the latter with no problems.

Last Monday, I ordered both a HomeTroller Zee S2 and a Smartstick+ from the HS store. Should be here by tomorrow afternoon.
    HomeTroller Zee S2 has a built-in module so it does not require the SmartStick+. If you purchased this from us directly, open a helpdesk ticket to return the SmartStick+

Forgive me for such newbie questions, but my understanding is that

1) I should be able to transfer my z-wave network from the VeraEdge to the HomeTroller Zee S2 in a similar fashion as I did before from the Lite to the Edge.
    Not likely. There's no standard for moving networks between controllers. In our case, we wrote special support for this function to go between HomeSeer systems. Vera likely did a simlar thing. We did not write anything designed to move networks from Vera to HomeSeer.

2) Once I have the z-network set on the HomeSeer Troller Zee S2, if I ever decide I need a larger system, with, say more than 5 plug-ins, I should also be able to transfer from the HomeTroller Zee S2 to a Windows or Linux box running either HS3 or HS3Pro with the afore mentioned Smartstick+ on a USB port?
    Yes, this will work

3) If ever 2 becomes reality, would I be able to repurpose the Troller Zee S2 as a Z-Net?
    No, we don't have a "conversion kit" for this purpose.

Thanks in advance.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Never mind about me purchasing the Smartstick+. I knew before hand that the Zee S2 had internal z-wave adapter. Additionally, I suppose I may someday need it, as I expect my home automation system to "grow" to HS3 or HS3Pro on a Linux or Windows box. I only purchased the Zee S2 because it was more cost effective, being hardware and HS license in a single purchase.

Now, about not being able to migrate from the VeraEdge to the HomeTroller Zee S3, I suppose I can only be grateful my z-wave network is still small (only 12 devices at the moment). Therefore, I see no problem rebuilding it from scratch on HomeSeer. On the other hand, if I had already installed the 50+ devices I intend to, I would be cursing myself for not having asked first...

I suppose there aren't many users suggesting that you take the time to write a migration plugin from Vera, otherwise you would have done it already.

Comment

Update: Got the package delivered this morning and found very easy to recreate my z-wave network in the HomeTroller Zee S2. Everything seems to be working just as expected. I'm happy to report that the Zee S2 is much, much faster than the VeraLite and VeraEdge.

Will monitor for the next couple of days and post here if any difficulties appear.

Comment

There really is only so much you can do with the Vera devices CPU/RAM.

The RPi2 ...technical Specifications:
          - Broadcom BCM2836 Arm7 Quad Core Processor powered Single Board Computer running at 900MHz
          - 1GB RAM
          - VAX MIPS rating = 1186.70

Here is a little chart showing a bit of the hardware specifications on the Vera devices.
          Attached Files
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I suppose there aren't many users suggesting that you take the time to write a migration plugin from Vera, otherwise you would have done it already.
            Correct. I think most people tend to stick with what they have unless there's a compelling reason to change. Vera folks usually have to spend a LOT of time with scripting to do what they want and they're reluctant to change, given all the time and energy spent.

In order to convert from another system to HomeSeer, we'd need a simple file with node information in it. If you back up any of our systems, this type of file is generated. Then, our restore routine takes that information and writes it to the EPROM of the new controller.

Comment

Ok, I finally bit the bullet and I'm a brand new owner of HS3 and HSTouch Designer. Moving from a Vera 3, I have a Core I5 Intel NUC that I will use for the controller and I am ordering a Z-Net for the Z-wave interface. My network is a lot more complicated than cesarvog's; I have 50-ish devices on my network, but I haven't installed anything new in a couple of years, so I don't fully remember the details. I know you have to remove a Z-wave device from the existing network to add it to the new network. Anyone know of an easy way to remove the devices in bulk, rather than one at a time?

On the new HS3 system, since I will be using the Z-Net rather than a stick I cannot bring the interface to each device to include it. How well does include work from a fixed location with the Z-Net?

Sorry for such basic questions but my searches so far haven't found any answers.

Thanks,
              Don

Comment

Originally posted by ufd108 View Post
                Ok, I finally bit the bullet and I'm a brand new owner of HS3 and HSTouch Designer. Moving from a Vera 3, I have a Core I5 Intel NUC that I will use for the controller and I am ordering a Z-Net for the Z-wave interface. My network is a lot more complicated than cesarvog's; I have 50-ish devices on my network, but I haven't installed anything new in a couple of years, so I don't fully remember the details. I know you have to remove a Z-wave device from the existing network to add it to the new network. Anyone know of an easy way to remove the devices in bulk, rather than one at a time?

On the new HS3 system, since I will be using the Z-Net rather than a stick I cannot bring the interface to each device to include it. How well does include work from a fixed location with the Z-Net?

Sorry for such basic questions but my searches so far haven't found any answers.

Thanks,
                Don
                If you order the WiFi adapter for the Z-NET, you'll be able to move the Z-NET anywhere in your house that can be reached by WiFi. This is your best bet for pairing older devices that don't support network wide inclusion. That's what I would recommend.

Comment

I wanna get another power adaptor to do just that as I want to leave the one I'm using in place. Are they sold separately? Or is there a way I can buy one in amazon/ebay or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
                    I wanna get another power adaptor to do just that as I want to leave the one I'm using in place. Are they sold separately? Or is there a way I can buy one in amazon/ebay or something?
                    I would recommend putting in a help desk request and one of the technicians can answer this question for you in case Mark doesn't see this.

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
                      The power supply is just a standard raspberry pi/pi2 power supply. It has a micro USB connector.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        The power supply is just a standard raspberry pi/pi2 power supply. It has a micro USB connector.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

The power supply we ship with the Zee and Z-NET is very high quality and well regulated. Be sure to use something comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                            If you order the WiFi adapter for the Z-NET, you'll be able to move the Z-NET anywhere in your house that can be reached by WiFi. This is your best bet for pairing older devices that don't support network wide inclusion. That's what I would recommend.
                            I did something similar. I also used an USB network adapter and walked around the house with the ZeeS2 powered by a Sony CP-F5 portable battery pack. I like the fact that it comes with a short white cable with a USB connector on one end and a micro USB connector on the other. The battery pack provides 5000mAh which is more than enough to do the wandering around the place and adding devices to Homeseer.

As I have lots of different power supplies around the place, I really do not remember if this battery pack comes with a power supply/charger or not. But you can use the power supply that comes with the ZeeS2 and/or Z-NET to charge the battery.
                            Last edited by cesarvog; November 7, 2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                              The power supply we ship with the Zee and Z-NET is very high quality and well regulated. Be sure to use something comparable.
                              Ah. That's good to know. Thanks!

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                              X