Dealing with disconnected zwave devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with disconnected zwave devices

This maybe more zwave related than zee s2 related but thought I'd start here in case the implementation will determine the answer.

With X10 it didn't matter if some controllers were only connected for a couple months out of the year, like the Christmas Tree. I have three zwave modules that are being put away for the season and I'm not sure how to deal with these. I've unplugged one so far - an outdoor outlet dongle - and HS doesn't seem too happy on my Zee. What should I do with these devices in HS? Should I remove them at the zwave level (which failed when I tried so I think I may need to plug it back in before trying to remove it), delete them at the HS level, or ignore them? I expect I'd want to do another full optimize of the network after properly removing these at the zwave level. That just seems like extra work since I'll need to add them back each year?

Your best bet is leave them plugged in if you can. This way they continue to improve the mesh and act as repeaters. If you must remove them then you need to do a remove on the device while it's still active and once the association is removed you can unplug them and then you will need to do an optimization or two on your network to reroute the nodes than once used these as routing nodes.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Take a look at this post for one method: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...80&postcount=5

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

In general, either remove the devices from your network, or keep them plugged in all the time. A missing z-wave node is no different than a malfunctioning z-wave node -- it can quickly bring down your entire network. Z-wave networks are NOT very robust in this respect.

I bench tested a device, and once I was satisfied it was working OK, I unplugged it. Started getting weird errors an hour later. As soon as I plugged it back in, they all went away.

Comment

Probably overkill but for garden lighting (including Christmas) I installed permanent underground power cable with several weatherproof connection points.

My connection points are obviously designed for UK type accessories but the attached picture should give the general idea. Inside the box is a Z-Wave micro module, a 6 amp fuse unit and a single UK socket outlet. On the underside of the box is installed a waterproof momentary push button for local control. The whole circuits are protected with RCD's at the source.

These units stay powered all year round (so as Rupp says) always participate in the Z-Wave mesh.

I've never experienced the problems others have reported when powering off or disconnecting nodes. Over the last week (due to refurbishment work) I've had the power off to most of the 1st floor which takes out 12 Z-Wave nodes and all other Z-Wave nodes appear to operate normally. Perhaps this is just because my network has good routing without these nodes and / or that it's made up of newer devices that support explorer frames.

Paul..
          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, definitely it will be hit and miss when removing nodes as to how well the network will function, but for sure best practice is to keep them powered.

There is an option you can select called "Z-Health" in HS3, which is supposed to heal the network when devices have been removed, but I recall reading on various posts that this doesn't work well.

Comment

I have the same concerns with seasonal lighting. I have the lower level outside Christmas lights connected to an outdoor plugin GE zwave module, the indoor Christmas tree was connected to a zwave lamp module, and the upstairs 2nd floor outside Christmas lights were connected to a hardwired zwave switch to outlets under the eaves. Last year I just unplugged both the Christmas tree and the outdoor GE module, and when I plugged them back in this year everything was good to go. I just enabled the events involving the Christmas lights. That was with HS2. During the holidays this year I upgraded to HS3. I just unplugged those two zwave modules today and so far so good. (49 network nodes).

Comment

Originally posted by tbever View Post
                I just unplugged those two zwave modules today and so far so good. (49 network nodes).
                It you have enough nodes to route through you shouldn't notice an issue other than maybe a slow signal due to re-routing from time to time.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                X