Zee power supply fallout out of outlet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zee power supply fallout out of outlet?

Anyone else having an issue with their Zee wall wart falling out of the outlet? The power supply design (of the model I have at least where the plug folds down for portability/storage) is rather poor in that it doesn't make a good connection. I've been running into issues since I set it up in January and have tried different outlets to no avail. I even swapped an outlet thinking my nearly 20 year old receptacles were perhaps on the loose side - didn't help. Right now I've resorted to electrical tape holding the wart into a power strip. Since the strip is flat the wart stays somewhat better but I still need to tape it to the strip to keep it from bouncing out from time to time.

I DIYed my RPi2 Zee-2 and originally purchased what MCM electronics was selling for a power supply before going to a POE style power supply.

You can just replace it with another one; they are available on Amazon or MCM electronics.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If memory serves, the Zee is just a general purpose USB power supply. You can use the one from your phone charger with an appropriate USB cord, which is either mini USB or micro USB (I think mini).

I did this for the Z-Net -- I have it mounted far away from an outlet, so I just got a regular USB AC adapter with a long cord.

Comment

Zee S2 is a Raspberry Pi with a Z-Wave card built in so most any USB +5V 2A wall wart will work.
        BUT! And this is a BIG BUT! Don't use a cheapie Ebay USB power supply.
        If it doesn't cost about $10, it's probably not going to put out clean enough power for the RPi.
        The cable from the power supply to the RPi has to be 24AWG or smaller (smaller is thicker wire) for the 2 power wires (the signal wires can be higher AWG). If you get the cable and the supply separately, make sure the cable his thick wire and it's not very long - 1m length max.
        The challenge is that a marginal power supply will work... most of the time... but the RPi will be flakey and you'll think it's a software bug when in fact it's the power supply not quite able to keep up with the large changes in power consumption of the RPi.

Comment

Well three weeks and I have a chance / remembered to check back in on this. Thanks for the tips on the power supply. I'm sure I'll be able to track down something I can swap in. Appreciate the specs estimate as well!

Comment

Another option, from the opposite point of view... Replace the outlet. Older and/or "construction grade" outlets tend to have loose connections. A higher grade outlet (still only a few bucks) will usually hold heavier weight.

Or... Check the specs, and see if an outlet with built-in USB ports provides enough current for the requirement.

Comment

Working...
            X