Feature Request: Control Multiple / Any Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request: Control Multiple / Any Change

I have a few thoughts for feature request that would simplify event writing and simplify maintaining events as devices are added / removed from HomeSeer.

1. A "Control Multiple Devices" event action. This is an extension of the "Control a Device" action, but allows multiple devices to be acted on. I envision this taking three options, a "Floor", a "Room", and a "Device Type". The Floor could be "all" or one or more specific floors. Similarly, the "Room" could be all rooms on the selected floor or one or more specific rooms. The "Device Type" would be a single type such as "Z-Wave Multilevel Switch" or "Z-Wave Binary Switch" -- this is to ensure that all of the devices that get acted on would accept the same parameter types and range of values. When this event action is called, HomeSeer would behave as if a separate "Control A Device" was issued for each of the devices with a matching Floor / Room / Type.

To make sure that the event author can confirm what is being controlled, the user interface should allow either a pop-up (by clicking on a "Show details" button) or drop down list showing each of the devices that the event action would act. Also, if you filter events by a specific device, any event using the "Control Multiple" should show up as long as the specific filtered-by device is within the devices that are affected by the event.

The goal here is to simply writing events as well as to reduce the number of changes to events when new devices are added. For example, if you have an event that sets all the dimmers in a room to 5% using this "Control Multiple" action, and another dimmer is added to the room, that dimmer would automatically be covered by the event to set lighting to 5%

Further enhancements to this idea:
    * When a device is added, a dialog box informs the user of all the events that the new device is included in.
    * An "except" list could be included in which a user could check of certain devices that would not be included

2. Analogously, a "Any Device's Value" trigger. This would be similar to the "A Device's Value Is" trigger, except it would look at all devices of a particular type. Again, it would have three parameters, Floor, Room, and Device Type. The idea here is that as you add devices / sensors, you would not have individually rewrite events. Some sample use cases would be, e.g., using the "Any Changed or Set" with Floor=All, Room = All, Type = "Z-Wave Battery" to detect if any Battery falls below a certain %. Another example would be "Any Changed or Set" with Floor=All, Room = All, Type = "Water Sensor" to detect if any water sensor detects water. In these cases, if another battery operated device or another water sensor were added, it would be automatically included in the event.

Here, again, the user interface should allow either a pop-up (by clicking on a "Show details" button) or drop down list showing each of the devices that will trigger the event. Also, if you filter events by a specific device, any event using the "Any Changed or Set" trigger should show up as long as the specific filtered-by device is within the devices that can cause triggering.

Further enhancements to this idea:
    * When a device is added, a dialog box informs the user of all the events that the new device is included in.
    * An "except" list could be included in which a user could check of certain devices that would not be included in the trigger.

I agree these would be nice features to have in the UI. However, I think the CPS Tags plugin may do most or all of these things.
    -Wade

Comment

FYI, you can do most of these things with the EasyTrigger plugin too. Have a look at the triggers and actions based on groups: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...175#post864175

Comment

spud, cc4005. Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Easy Trigger does do much of what I want (and has a lot of other features I didn't know I wanted until now!) so I've now purchased that. Still, it seems this is something that would get a lot of use, and not be that complex to implement, so having it built-in would be nice. One "Easy Trigger" enhancement that I noticed right away would be for the "Set Group of Devices to Expression" action to also allow selection based the "whose type" "whose name" "whose Location1" test as you've done in some of the triggers, rather than requiring the user to define the group. Still, its a big improvement over how I was handling groups of devices. Thanks.
        Last edited by jvm; September 18th, 2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Another option is my Tags plugin, I literally wrote it for exactly this use case. You can define a Tag based on device information such as name, location, who the parent is, etc. As an example I have a temperature tag that all of my HS temperature sensors automatically get added to when they are added (my rule adds any temp sensor who's device type is the one I want and the parent is the type I want to, ensuring only the HS Zwave temp sensors are in my group). I then have an option to have a virtual device set to the lowest, highest, or average value of all. I use that average value in many cases.

For lighting groups I can say Master Bedroom Lights group off. If I change devices (say zwave for insteon or vice versa) as long as the name contains Light and the location is the Master Bedroom my events don't change at all.

I am about to push out a new version, testing it here (main changes are speed related, its much faster now). If your interested in trying it, drop me a note and I'll send you the updater_override.txt file for you try it out.

Best
          Bill

Comment

bsobel. Sure, I'd be happy to give the Tags plugin a try. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X