Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't upgrade Mono from 4.2.1 - que?!?! Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't upgrade Mono from 4.2.1 - que?!?! Any advice?

So for some odd reason I can not upgrade Mono from 4.2.1 (which is standard on Ubuntu 16.04LTS) to 4.8 or 5.x - well I can not upgrade at all - it sits on 4.2.1 and it is driving me nuts. I know I am missing something very easy, I just for my life can not figure out what (and why) - any tips?

To make it a bit more interesting:
    more /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list
    deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu wheezy/snapshots/4.8.0 main

Still:
    mono -V
    Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4)

I know the SEL systems shipped with a modified sources file, so that only core Ubuntu files got updated. I had to paste in the other depots (like security) to get mine to update... Do be careful on Mono, 5.x breaks ASP and only 5.1.1 seems to work, later versions asp is still horked at least for HomeSeer uses....

Comment

Thanks - I'll have a look.

I am after 4.8 for now to verify if my error when running already compiled vb scripts (one script will only run if it is fresh compiled - and any following executions of that perticular script will fail....) - so Mono 5 comes later :-)

Comment

Yes, by hardcoding it I made it work to Mono 4.8.0 - very large thanks!!!

Comment

One Homeseer forum user here purchased a second SEL and upgrade the RAM to maximum on second device and installed Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit and current version of Mono on it then restored his Homeseer 3 directory to the device and rebuilt the original SEL.

Just a quickie mention here about the Skylake CPUs speeds and power requirements.....

Yesterday built a new HP laptop with an iSeries 5 / Intel Skylake CPU. It is very fast and low powered compared to the Haswell iSeries CPU running on my Homeseer 3 Pro computer (using a pico PSU). This laptop is running current Windows 10 Pro and current Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit dual boot.
          In Windows 10 pro the only slow down was relating to the constant syncing to Microsoft One drive.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Mmmm....

Any idea what this error is about:
            Sep-20 16:31:18 Error 3 Running script FeedBackMarantz.vb :Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.->Does entry point Main exist in script? at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) <0x7f5f031ab9e0 + 0x000ef> in :0 at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) <0x7f5f02fe3cf0 + 0x0002a> in :0 at Scheduler.clsRunVBNetScript.ExecuteScript () <0x41855000 + 0x00e12> in :0
            Code:
            Sub Main(parm() as object)
            Dim SplitString() As String = Split(Parm(2).ToString, Chr(13))
            hs.writelog("Marantz FeedBack: ", SplitString(1))
            End Sub

Comment

I've seen Mono get confused every now and then with variable assignment in the Dim statement of arrays. Try splitting that into two statements.

Comment

Good idea - still no luck though :-(

Comment

https://www.mono-project.com/downloa.../#download-lin

For mono 5.14, the repository entry for Ubuntu 16.04 would be

Code:
                  deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-xenial main

Comment

But will 5.14 solve my error?

Comment

Maybe trade one problem for another:
                      Sep-30 01:33:50 Event Event Sandbox New Event triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
                      Sep-30 01:33:50 Event Event Trigger "Sandbox New Event"
                      Sep-30 01:33:50 Event Running script in background: /opt/HomeSeer/scripts/forum1.vb
                      Sep-30 01:33:55 Warning VB.Net script exception(0), re-starting: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                      Appears that the script runs forever, as the next invocation yields
                      Sep-30 01:35:39 Event Event Sandbox New Event triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
                      Sep-30 01:35:39 Event Event Trigger "Sandbox New Event"
                      Sep-30 01:35:39 Event Running script in background: /opt/HomeSeer/scripts/forum1.vb
                      Sep-30 01:35:39 Warning Not running script since its already running: /opt/HomeSeer/scripts/forum1.vb Single instance option enabled in event properties
                      Of course I don't know what you are feeding it as input (how do you feed it an array of objects from the event page?). So maybe not a valid test.

Comment

Well in my case it is a plugin module (drule's ip plugin) that triggers the "Maratnz feedback" - and the code in the feedback.vb script is exactly the one I posted above. However there might be multiple triggering happening. I think drule's plugin triggers nine (9) executions of the feedback script - however it should, in the perfect world, only trigger once.

Comment

Working...
                        X