Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to debug a Z-wave device that can be controlled but doesn't trigger rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to debug a Z-wave device that can be controlled but doesn't trigger rules?

I am using HS3 on WIndows7. I have several GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting Control Light Switch, On/Off Paddle switches. Most of them work fine - I have a rule that says if it's been on for an hour, turn it off. One device doesn't - I can control it (on/off) fine from HS3, but it shows up as OFF when it's on (in the main HS3 page) and it doesn't seem to trigger state-based rules. How to debug this?

The GE switches do not support true instant status. This is accomplished via some code built into HS3. If the switch has a direct connection to your Z-Wave interface this tends to work but if your switch has to route to your Z-Wave controller this tends to not work. In this scenario I would recommend adding a 10 minute poll to the switch to ensure the status is getting updated.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      The GE switches do not support true instant status. This is accomplished via some code built into HS3. If the switch has a direct connection to your Z-Wave interface this tends to work but if your switch has to route to your Z-Wave controller this tends to not work. In this scenario I would recommend adding a 10 minute poll to the switch to ensure the status is getting updated.
      aha! how do I add this poll (and where), to enable the "if you've been on for X minutes" rules to work? thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post

aha! how do I add this poll (and where), to enable the "if you've been on for X minutes" rules to work? thank you!
        The polling interval can be added under the z-wave tab on the device page. Polling in general can be enabled and disabled in the z-wave configuration under plug-ins. I don't remember whether the default is enabled or disabled.

You shouldn't have to do anything to the event rules.

Regards
        Michael
        Regards,
        Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

Aha thanks, I've set 10 minutes as polling interval - it was 0 before. What does that do - does it force an update every 10 minutes? If so, what did the 0 setting mean?

Comment

Aha thanks, I've set 10 minutes as polling interval - it was 0 before. What does that do - does it force an update every 10 minutes? If so, what did the 0 setting mean?
            0 essentially disables polling of that device. Polling is just a simple query of the device, "are you there?". The device will acknowledge, "yes I am". You can set the device to only change 'last update time' if its value changes. If you don't do that, polling will cause that property to update, and if your polling interval is shorter than your event rule and your event rule is testing that property then the event will not trigger.

You can only poll devices that are "listening", ie I have a battery powered door/window sensor that is asleep unless it senses closing or opening. Can't poll that, but it does do instant status.

Regards
            Michael
            Regards,
            Michael

Comment

Aha! that seems to have done it - I'm seeing data in the device history plugin. So should I add a polling interval to all the listening devices, to make sure the info is getting updated properly? And if so, where do I set "only change if value changes" (seems like that would be a good idea, to avoid needless traffic on the system)?

Comment

Aha! that seems to have done it - I'm seeing data in the device history plugin. So should I add a polling interval to all the listening devices, to make sure the info is getting updated properly?
                As someone mentioned earlier, if Instant Status isn't working polling can help with that. I was using it for while to flag problem devices in the log. I had some connectivity issues, but once I sorted those I left polling enbled but made the intervals 20-30 minutes and random.

And if so, where do I set "only change if value changes" (seems like that would be a good idea, to avoid needless traffic on the system)?
                That's a checkbox property on the device page under the configuration tab near the bottom.

Regards
                Michael
                Regards,
                Michael

Comment

Working...
                X