Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dim 1% = off?

Good evening.

In my new build I've installed dimmers (some HS, many Jasco) and the most important person to please in the house would rather have the switches operate w/out local dimming capabilities (not a bad thing IMHO really) so I've configured all of them as following:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2018-11-05 21.58.51.png Views:	1 Size:	411.5 KB ID:	1257430

which is doing a great job if you just click the top button or click the bottom button. However... it seems as if people just can't seem to help but hold the button down when turning off the lights which results in a Dim = 1% status:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-11-05 21.58.01.png
Views:	13
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1257432

Name:	Screenshot 2018-11-05 21.57.38.png
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1257433

And when someone goes to turn it back on they have to click it off and then back on to get it back to responding in a "normal" fashion. Is there a setting at the switch level or global script that I can put into place that will make this behavior go away and, on the local level, just let these switches either be on or off?

The obvious thing is that, hindsight being 20/20, I should have not purchased dimmers and just switches .. but if I could read minds I probably would have someone else doing this post for me from my luxury villa in the Maldives

Also -- For the Ramp Rate for local commands it seems that the lowest parameter I can get to stick is 3 for the timer. I'm not sure if this is related but it seems to not matter the type of switch, etc.

Thanks in advance. I'm loving getting up and running with HS.... I'm an ex Smartthings user and the reliability alone is mind boggling when compared with that platform not to mention how great it is to be able to control and program the switches directly.

This is possible with an event. Here's one way you can set it up for the HS dimmers (I don't own Jasco):

Name:	1pct=off.PNG
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1257438

Some things of note:

IF [ This device had its value set to... ] <--- Choose this one and NOT if this device changes and becomes
    [ XXXXX Central Scene ] <--- This is the device that reports the switch toggle status
    [ Bottom Released ] <--- I renamed mine and I cannot for the life of me remember what the default phrase is, but you want whatever maps to status value 2001 for HS dimmers

Then [Control a Device]
    [ XXXXX Switch Multilevel] <--- This is the device that you can actually control with the on/off and slider

Once you get it working for one switch you can then copy the event and change the devices on each one to match your switches.

You can use the same event template to force a single press to turn the light on to full... just replace the trigger with the single top press and change the "off" to "on"

Good luck!

-Jon

Comment

Hmmm... I'm not sure if Jasco switches do central scenes. If not, you can change the trigger to look at the dim level of the switch. You can even use

IF [ This device had its value set to and is less than... ]

This can capture a range of low values thant you'd want to mean "off."

Comment

That's what I would do. Create an event that If the switch is set to less then 5% then turn off switch.

Comment

Thanks much on this! I'll try setting up some events tonight and run some tests. Nice and straightforward (and I should have thought of it ). Does seem like I'll have to do it switch by switch... but that's finite and I'm a-ok with a one time setup for sure. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Comment

If you have the Easy Trigger plugin, you could create a group with all of the dimmers and just write one event that triggers if any device in the group is set below a set %. You would need to do some simple scripting though since you would respond to the trigger using a script that reads the Reference # that caused the trigger to fire and then adjusting that device using a simple immediate script -- I think the following script would work to set the triggering device to off:

&hs.setdevicevaluebyref($$GLOBALVAR:ETDeviceValue:,0,True )

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post
              If you have the Easy Trigger plugin, you could create a group with all of the dimmers and just write one event that triggers if any device in the group is set below a set %. You would need to do some simple scripting though since you would respond to the trigger using a script that reads the Reference # that caused the trigger to fire and then adjusting that device using a simple immediate script -- I think the following script would work to set the triggering device to off:

&hs.setdevicevaluebyref($$GLOBALVAR:ETDeviceValue:,0,True )
              Oh this idea sounds great. I'm going to try this and see if I can get this to work.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonjolly View Post

Oh this idea sounds great. I'm going to try this and see if I can get this to work.

Sounds like a great idea, but ... I just tried it and learned that hs.setdevicevaluebyref command works on a virtual device, but does not appear to work on a physical device. For that, you have to use a "CAPI" script command. I'll try to figure out the correct command.

Comment

@jasonjolly

Here's the event I came up with using Easy Trigger and a CAPI command. The group "Office_Dimmers" has all of my office dimmer devices in it.
                  The event triggers when one of the dimmers is sent below 5% and *should* turn that light to off using $$GLOBALVAR:etdeviceref: to determine which was the triggering device, but it doesn't work and I"m not sure why. The Log gives the error:
                  Running script(2) & hs.CAPIControlHandler(hs.CAPIGetSingleControl( $$GLOBALVAR:etdeviceref: ,True, "off", False,False)), init error: Invalid character

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1263545

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post

Running script(2) & hs.CAPIControlHandler(hs.CAPIGetSingleControl( $$GLOBALVAR:etdeviceref: ,True, "off", False,False)), init error: Invalid character

Views:	18
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1263545
                    Hmm. Did you copy and paste that code from somewhere else in your config? It's acting like there's a carriage return or something in there maybe after the "&"?

Comment

Don’t think you can use replacement variables in a script. You need to use the equivalent script command instead which would be hs.GetVar("etdeviceref")
                      HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

sparkman. Thank you, that did it.

jasonjolly - The correct script is:

&hs.CAPIControlHandler(hs.CAPIGetSingleControl( hs.GetVar("etdeviceref"), True, "Off", False, False))

As show in ...

Views:	16
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1264159

Comment

Thank you gentlemen!!

Comment

Working...
                          X