New PC for HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC for HS3

My new tiny Lenovo arrives tomorrow. I plan on doing all the updates I can for Win 10 Pro then downloading and installing HS3. From there, I would enter my license info and I'm thinking of closing down HS3.

Being connected to the same home network, I plan on copying over all files that don't exist in the HS3 directory. Then shut down HS3 on the old PC and run HS3 on the new one. It seems to me that nothing should skip a beat. With a 256gb SSD, I figure to use about 50gb leaving plenty of room. Thoughts?

I also have a few other support programs such as VNC Viewer, HS Speaker, wireless network watcher and a startup delay program. I'll do clean installs of those. I'm not going to utilize this PC for the security cameras since it's a fairly small SSD. Not sure if I'll leave that stuff on the old Pentium or get another tiny pc with a much bigger SSD.

Is there something obvious I missed?

couple of suggestions. Check the Lenovo's bios and set it to start when the power comes on. I've seen a number of complaints about Win10 downloading updates and automatically rebooting but I think your startup delay program will handle restarting Homeseer. don't forget your machines IP will change, depending on your setup you may have some devices/software that use that.

Comment

jmaddox - Thanks! I'll have to reserve a new ip and see what uses that as a reference. Nothing, I think but I surely will find out.

Comment

Not sure if it's your intention, but no need to selectively copy files over. Just overwrite the new installation with your entire Homeseer HS3 folder. Your license will come with it as well.
        -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
          jmaddox - Thanks! I'll have to reserve a new ip and see what uses that as a reference. Nothing, I think but I surely will find out.
          I had the same concern when I moved to a new server a few days ago, but no issues.
          -Wade

Comment

Everything went well, installed HS3, registered, copied all directories and files and up and running. Machine is lightning fast (anything would be compared to the old one). I'm pleasantly surprised that only 30gb is in use so far, so I have over 95gb free.

Comment

It's always something, isn't it. I get the following error:

12/04/2018 20:55:53 ~!~Warning~!~Error starting web server, port in use? Are you running a web server on the designated port? Edit settings.ini in the Config folder and change gWebSvrPort=## to a different port #. An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
              Startup Complete, 1 errors detected, check the log for more information.

I changed the port to 8000 but I swear it went back to 80 by itself. I think this became an issue when I updated .net but unsure. Suggestions?
              --------
              Edit

I think I got it solved. A search here for gwebsvrport pointed me to a couple of previous postings.

I couldn't even get to the setup pages to change the port from 80 to something else. So disabling the WWW thing in services did the trick.

Comment

One of the Windows updates enables World Wide Web publishing Service. Since this is a refurb machine, it may be applying a lot of updates. Type services.msc in the search window and see if that service is installed and running.
                Randy Prade
                Aurora, CO
                Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Not any longer. I stopped and disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                    Not any longer. I stopped and disabled.
                    That should allow HS to use port 80
                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

Comment

And don't forget that a new pc, even if it is refurbished will go to sleep after 10 minutes Things that you realize shortly after 11 minutes goes by.

Comment

If you have any usb devices connected, also make sure to turn off the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” setting for those ports. Check that on the Ethernet port too.
                        HS 3.0.0.548: 1970 Devices 1149 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Actually the devices, RFXCOM, Aeotec USB powered sensor, Alexa dot, are all HS3 related, I need to confirm power is not shut off after a period of time. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

As long as things are being tossed out there, be sure UAC is set to minimum. Also I recommend using Startup Delayer to launch HS3 with the highest privileges. I have seen several instances of permission issues when using Task Manager to launch HomeSeer, despite it launches with the highest privileges as well. I just helped someone a week or so ago where switching to Startup Delayer resolved some intermittent problems.
                            Randy Prade
                            Aurora, CO
                            Prades.net

Comment

Rumors indicate that Microsoft is dropping Edge and moving towards a Chromium based browser and now building a Windows lite platform.

Here switched wife's new dual booting Ubuntu / Windows 10 Skylake laptop to Windows 10 mostly and seeing it mostly crawl on the internet with Edge versus using Ubuntu Firefox on Ubuntu.

- Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Working...
                              X