HomeSeer HomeTroller-SEL Home Controller SDA1 filling up - System down :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HomeSeer HomeTroller-SEL Home Controller SDA1 filling up - System down :(

Hey everyone. This is the third time my system has crashed because it's not monitoring itself and filling up with bogus logs, etc. Here is a screenshot from putty. Sadly, I cannot get the system back online and wondering if anyone else is having this issue and how I can bring back online. Nothing I'm trying seems to work....

Thanks in advance!
    Scotto-
    Attached Files

If a Windows user install WinSCP on your Windows computer.

unless you want to use the command line to search and delete large logs.

Here are a couple of easy ones...

sudo rm /var/log/kern*

sudo rm /var/log/messages*

WinSCP lets you use a graphical explorer like interface on your Windows computer and will let you see the size of the log files

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Thanks! I actually prefer command line, I'm a networking engineer so I like using putty, or prefer it i should say. I already went through var/log and nothing in there is taking up much space. I don't have a messages log and kern is at 0. See attached.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      If a Windows user install WinSCP on your Windows computer.

unless you want to use the command line to search and delete large logs.

Here are a couple of easy ones...

sudo rm /var/log/kern*

sudo rm /var/log/messages*

WinSCP lets you use a graphical explorer like interface on your Windows computer and will let you see the size of the log files
      Attached Files

Comment

Often these issues turn out to be a result of setting a debug logging mode then forgetting about it.

This command will print out any file larger than 100MB on the system. Adjust the -size argument to taste.

Code:
        sudo find / -size +100M
        (Running it 'sudo' prevents a slew of 'permission denied' messages).

To search just the HomeSeer install directory:
        Code:
        find /usr/local/HomeSeer -size +100M

Comment

Culprit located! Thanks so much... I've had SOOO many issues with my insteon plugin. I should have just gone to this in the first place. For some reason when the plugin updates it's creates these massive failure logs. Homeseer logged in last time to wipe them out and they claimed it was "fixed" but something is obviously still doing persistent logging..... GRRR.

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          Often these issues turn out to be a result of setting a debug logging mode then forgetting about it.

This command will print out any file larger than 100MB on the system. Adjust the -size argument to taste.

Code:
          sudo find / -size +100M
          (Running it 'sudo' prevents a slew of 'permission denied' messages).

To search just the HomeSeer install directory:
          Code:
          find /usr/local/HomeSeer -size +100M
          Attached Files

Comment

Good news Scott.

Here are my HS3 log settings. Same from day one of use with two Homeseer 3 boxes.

Note too that I keep developer mode unchecked unless testing something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	logs.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	1265116

No issues here running HS3 in Linux. I do reboot sometimes for Ubuntu updates. Do not really pay much attention to the two boxes.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Working...
            X