Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Feature

    There should be a feature that is a event line item check box that will disable that line when the event is run.. Example 1. You have 5 if statements in your event and you need to not run if statement 3, when the event runs it doesn't process for that if statement. Example 2. You decide that you really only need to disable 1 of the 3 commands in the in the above if statement once again one checks the box and that command don't run.. Today one has to delete the items, this feature would enhance the events usefulness ..

  • #2
    This capability already exists although not intuitively clear. Edit / expand your step (line) and change "then" to "never".

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lveatch View Post
      This capability already exists although not intuitively clear. Edit / expand your step (line) and change "then" to "never".
      I must have a different HS3, I have nothing that can be set to never ,, posted snip ,, does it look the same as yours and by chance are you running a event modifier like "Easy Trigger" ?? In any case that just stops the then for not working what I want the then line to run , but want the second command line to not run or I have in the if statement that I don't want to run the second "and if" not to run out of 3 or more ?

      Thanks for the try,,
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1268883

      Comment


      • #4
        click on the "Then" drop down

        Comment


        • #5
          As BobSpen states, not the disable event, each action within an event can be disabled. Not as simply as a checkbox as you requested. Below is an example of where I disable the email action after validating everything is running fine. All other actions execute as expected.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	tempsnip.png
Views:	4
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	1268930

          Comment


          • #6
            I think we are having a difference in terms. When the OP refers to “if statements“ I believe he wants to bypass Conditions, not Actions. That cannot be done.
            Randy Prade
            Aurora, CO
            Prades.net

            PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rprade View Post
              I think we are having a difference in terms. When the OP refers to “if statements“ I believe he wants to bypass Conditions, not Actions. That cannot be done.
              Maybe a little.. "That works for the "Then" yet it doesn't work with "And If" or if as in your code run the second "set devices" statement.. It's good to know about the pull done ,, I thank you it may work fine yet I don't think it was made the way you're thinking and I could be wrong ,, I believe it's used as a "NOT Then" which doesn't make a lot of sense ,, I'm trying to think of a statement that may use "then never".. Maybe Rich or somebody can post and example of a "Never". If "X" = "Y" never if "Y" = "Z" , then xxxxxx,, I beleave that's how it's supposed to be used ,, just guessing.. maybe a red check box at the end of the line that if one checks it it doesn't get run... I"m going to take a beating for saying this yet ,, It's only a little code in a sub that if there a's check one skips that line ,, how hard can that be ???

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dem5867 View Post

                Maybe a little.. "That works for the "Then" yet it doesn't work with "And If" or if as in your code run the second "set devices" statement.. It's good to know about the pull done ,, I thank you it may work fine yet I don't think it was made the way you're thinking and I could be wrong ,, I believe it's used as a "NOT Then" which doesn't make a lot of sense ,, I'm trying to think of a statement that may use "then never".. Maybe Rich or somebody can post and example of a "Never". If "X" = "Y" never if "Y" = "Z" , then xxxxxx,, I beleave that's how it's supposed to be used ,, just guessing.. maybe a red check box at the end of the line that if one checks it it doesn't get run... I"m going to take a beating for saying this yet ,, It's only a little code in a sub that if there a's check one skips that line ,, how hard can that be ???
                “Never” is only designed to disable an Action. It is not a conditional statement.

                In HomeSeer there are three items in an Event
                • IF and OR IF are Triggers. They are what get an Event going. An IF is the primary Trigger, OR IF represents additional Triggers. If any Trigger is true the Event gets going
                • AND IF are Conditions. They are what can constrain an Event from running when the Trigger starts it. Conditions only apply to the Trigger in the group they are in
                • THEN are Actions. They are what the event does when it runs. If an Event runs, ALL Actions are executed. If you change THEN to NEVER that one action will not be executed. Any remaining actions will still run. NEVER is primarily provided as a diagnostic tool. It is not Conditional, it is on or off. There is no IF to NEVER. If you disable all the Actions, you can test (by monitoring the log) whether an Event runs, without actually performing the Actions.

                Triggers and Conditions cannot be disabled.

                Read here to see how Triggers and Conditions are grouped. You can tell what Conditions are applied to Triggers by the grouping

                Click image for larger version

Name:	CBAF5442-F336-414E-97B5-71565E2C988D.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1269340
                Randy Prade
                Aurora, CO
                Prades.net

                PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                Comment


                • #9
                  So where is the never in the above example,, I understand the grouping that's why I'm asking for the line item inor box.. in the above example changing the then to never drops the only set device,, I want to skip an "and if / or if" statements not just for troubleshooting but maybe I at one time I don't need the 4 and if in the above example ,, presently I have to delete it.. Anyway here is the never in operation,,



                  Click image for larger version

Name:	never 1.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1269480

                  Log:
                  Dec-25 10:11:56 PM Device Control Device: Unknown Unknown Nt 1 to On (100)
                  Dec-25 10:11:56 PM Event Event Trigger "Test Never test"
                  Dec-25 10:11:56 PM Event Event Test Never test triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
                  Your explanation of how the Never works appears to be exactly correct.. I thank you,, good thing to know , I just don't see a lot of use for it, I want to be able to set one line item to be disregarded. In the set device line to the action pulldown could also have no change or disregard or something.. I think a checkbox would be a good idea ,, I don't think there's anybody that wouldn't agree,, not only for troubleshooting ,, yet as I said above for that one or two times,, many you have a kid in college and once every two years he comes home.. Your example is a example of how the check box could be used ,, maybe a buddy has come to town and you don't need just one of the "and if" lines to run maybe there's five actions statements in one of the other then statements and one turns the hallway light on, yet that light shines into the guest room , yet was still want the rest of the actions to run ,, maybe one action is to turn on the hallway light and the other turns on the backyard light so the dog can see has home.. I have a clipboard program so I can copy about 20 lines , so I can delete ,, yet with a checkbox I don't have to delete.. Kind of why the title is "Feature"... OK it should have been "New Feature Idea.."..
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Send a feature request to support@homeseer.com. These forums are for user to user interaction and are not fully monitored by HomeSeer.

                    I understood the nature of your original request, that is why I responded in post #6 above, because others were sending you down the wrong path. Then you seemed to misunderstand what “Never” was designed for in post #7. You implied that I didn’t understand how it worked. I attempted to clarify in post #8 how “Never” works, as well as to confirm that what you want is not currently available, which was the point if your original post.
                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

                    PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
                      So where is the never in the above example,, I understand the grouping that's why I'm asking for the line item inor box.. in the above example changing the then to never drops the only set device,, I want to skip an "and if / or if" statements not just for troubleshooting but maybe I at one time I don't need the 4 and if in the above example ,, presently I have to delete it.. Anyway here is the never in operation,,



                      Click image for larger version

Name:	never 1.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1269480

                      Log:
                      Dec-25 10:11:56 PM Device Control Device: Unknown Unknown Nt 1 to On (100)
                      Dec-25 10:11:56 PM Event Event Trigger "Test Never test"
                      Dec-25 10:11:56 PM Event Event Test Never test triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
                      Your explanation of how the Never works appears to be exactly correct.. I thank you,, good thing to know , I just don't see a lot of use for it, I want to be able to set one line item to be disregarded. In the set device line to the action pulldown could also have no change or disregard or something.. I think a checkbox would be a good idea ,, I don't think there's anybody that wouldn't agree,, not only for troubleshooting ,, yet as I said above for that one or two times,, many you have a kid in college and once every two years he comes home.. Your example is a example of how the check box could be used ,, maybe a buddy has come to town and you don't need just one of the "and if" lines to run maybe there's five actions statements in one of the other then statements and one turns the hallway light on, yet that light shines into the guest room , yet was still want the rest of the actions to run ,, maybe one action is to turn on the hallway light and the other turns on the backyard light so the dog can see has home.. I have a clipboard program so I can copy about 20 lines , so I can delete ,, yet with a checkbox I don't have to delete.. Kind of why the title is "Feature"... OK it should have been "New Feature Idea.."..

                      If you want to disable a condition , 1-copy the event, 2-remove that condition in the copied event, 3- and disable the original event.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
                        , many you have a kid in college and once every two years he comes home.. Your example is a example of how the check box could be used ,, maybe a buddy has come to town and you don't need just one of the "and if" lines to run maybe there's five actions statements in one of the other then statements and one turns the hallway light on, yet that light shines into the guest room , yet was still want the rest of the actions to run ,
                        Your terminology was confusing me. Understanding what you are trying to do helps considerably. I have these above situations, but I don't manually edit/change the conditions of the events when this occurs. I use virtual devices which I turn on or off to chose which events are triggered automatically.

                        For example, I have a "son" virtual device which can have "home" or "away" values. I then have at least 2 events which have different conditions (the if's) containing the appropriate actions. I can't VPN to home from the relatives to show you an example so I'll just type one up.

                        if time is 8am
                        and day is weekdays
                        and if son is not home
                        then open sons blinds

                        if time is noon
                        and day is weekdays
                        and if son is home
                        then open sons blinds

                        I have virtual devices which control many seasonal events as well. Christmas lights / schedule; outdoor lawn / landscaping watering; outdoor pond waterfall, chlorination and lights, guest room lights and blinds; HVAC schedule (out of town vs at home); morning alarms (work vs vacation wake up times), etc.

                        Some of the virtual devices will change values based on location (connected to home wi-fi for example), or manual using hstouch.

                        Yes, I have lots of events, but I like automation to work for me rather me working for it.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MattLau View Post


                          If you want to disable a condition , 1-copy the event, 2-remove that condition in the copied event, 3- and disable the original event.
                          Good suggestion. This is how I disassemble an Event to diagnose it as well. I may go through the process several times. When I am finished I delete all the copies after editing the original event (if needed) and enable the original event.

                          Randy Prade
                          Aurora, CO
                          Prades.net

                          PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rprade View Post
                            Good suggestion. This is how I disassemble an Event to diagnose it as well. I may go through the process several times. When I am finished I delete all the copies after editing the original event (if needed) and enable the original event.
                            Be a lot easier just to check a checkbox...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "You implied that I didn’t understand how it worked.." I kind of did.. I was / am hoping that somebody could point me to the text about the never command.. I searched the HS help file as well as this Forum and can not seem to find anything about it, even in the troubleshoot section.. I just think never is such an odd term to use,, why not skip, inor, jump, disregard.. The example appears to show it's works as you stated ,, Don't feel bad, I question everything and everybody including myself !!
                              I've seen a lot of code,, I've seen some odd "If" modifiers like never if and only if , yet I've never seen never used in that configuration,, I've never used it (In a program.) but I did use some code once that have then not, which was supposed to make it easier than doing an "and if" with a not equal to result,, there was a couple of other then modifiers yet they really were just if modifiers used in the then location,, none of us used them, It made the code hard to read.. {British,, we were told that some of the modifiers didn't quite work as the text stated,, I tried a couple just for fun only one gave me a result I didn't expect,, what was really odd was 3 of was believed it would give different results, yet the result was different than any of our 3 results,, never did figure it out. A person from the main office sent us the logic on how it was suppose to work , I jammed it into my TI and it still didn't come close to his result. A guy at our office jammed it into his HP and got the same result [As the English guy.],, or so he stated..I still think it was a random number generator with a predefined seed...}..

                              I did put in a ticket as a feature request..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X