Increasing Handles and HS Server crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Handles and HS Server crashes

I have a problem with a remote HS3 server running Windows 7. Over time my machine would just stop working. I would get an occasional note the windows explorer stopped working. Generally nothing to speak of in windows event manager. Mostly I noticed HS3 and Remote Desktop stopped working. Thankfully I could remotely reboot with Digital Logger’s web power switch. Over a day the machine would crash again. I found if I shutdown all other programs other than HS3 it would still crash but take 3 days rather than 1.
    I figured I had a hardware problem but both disk and memory check out fine.
    Looking at Jon00PerfMon data I found that HS3 and the machine ran fine as long as Homeseer Handles were below 3000. If it went much above I would lose the machine.
    So I have created an event that restarts HS3 when the handles reach 3000 and my machine doesnt crash at all.
    Can someone tell me what increases the handle count? Mine steadily ramps 50 handles per hour up with just minor bumps on the ramp. I wonder if I have a bad event I should look for, or bad script or plugin. Does it make sense that run away handles (even if slow and steady) will cause a crash. Is there a diagnostic you would recommend? I’d appreciate any advice from the many of you that know much more than I do.

I've had a handle leak forever and have not been able to pinpoint the cause. However, mine does not seem to be causing any issues. When I restart HS, my handle count is tpyically in the 3000 range and after a week or so it will be around 12000 and in the 20000 range after two weeks.
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Can you share a picture of the event that monitors the handles and resets Homeseer? Does it require Jon00PerfMon?
      Thanks
      Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by dbvanb View Post
        Can you share a picture of the event that monitors the handles and resets Homeseer? Does it require Jon00PerfMon?
        Thanks
        Bruce
        I can't figure out how to paste a snip here. But I do use Jon00PerfMon which creates a device called Homeseer Handles. I trigger a restart when the value of that device goes over 3000.

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            I've had a handle leak forever and have not been able to pinpoint the cause.
            I have the same. My handles don't increase quite that fast, but they do go up relentlessly. I recently moved HS to a new computer, but even that had no effect, though it is now less sensitive to the leak. With my old Win 7 box I used to see problems when handles reached 8000 or so. Now I just let them increase until I need to restart for some other reason (usually a Windows update).

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Just in case it might give a hint, these are the plug-ins I have running. Any overlap?
              Plug-Ins Enabled:
              Restart:,
              Blue-Iris:,
              weatherXML:,
              EasyTrigger:,
              Ecobee:,
              BLBackup:,
              ImperiHome:,
              BLRfid:,
              X10:,
              Caddx:,
              RFXCOM:,
              UltraECM3:,
              BLRussound:,
              BLSpeech:,
              SqueezeBox:,
              UPBSpud:
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

My overlap with you is weatherXML, BLBackup.
                It appears that Jon00AspxLoader was causing a handle increase. I determined it by graphing handles and noticing when they increased on the graph. Will advise more/edit this when I know more.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  Just in case it might give a hint, these are the plug-ins I have running. Any overlap?
                  These are the ones that I run as well:
                  Restart:,
                  weatherXML:,
                  EasyTrigger:,
                  ImperiHome:,
                  X10:,
                  RFXCOM:,
                  SqueezeBox:,

I don't suspect EasyTrigger or ImperiHome as I started using those well after I already had a handle leak. I've ran without ImperiHome for a while as well to see if it was an issue and it had no impact. Disabling RFXCom, SqueezeBox and EasyTrigger would have significant impacts at this time, so I may try disabling the others for a while. I only have two powerline X10 devices left, so may just bite the bullet and see if I can replace those two. One is a Universal Module (only used for alert sounds when the garage is opened or open for a while) and the other an Insteon IO Smartlinc in X10 mode (used to trigger events if my Weather Radio gets a sever weather alert), so need to research good replacements for those.

At one point I thought it might have been related to VBScripts, but I have all except for one converted to VB.NET and it did not have an impact.

Comment

Just disabled X10, WeatherXML, ImperiHome and Restart. This is where I'm currently at:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	3.1 KB ID:	1281676
                    Will post an update tomorrow morning. The handles dropped by about 1300 when I shut down those plugins.

Comment

WeatherXML? We each have that one. I'll shut that one down too.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                        My overlap with you is weatherXML, BLBackup.
                        It appears that Jon00AspxLoader was causing a handle increase. I determined it by graphing handles and noticing when they increased on the graph. Will advise more/edit this when I know more.
                        I very much doubt it is the actual loader which is causing the problem. It is the ASPX web pages which are loaded into memory (when run) which will cause a handle increase.
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

I very much doubt it is the actual loader which is causing the problem. It is the ASPX web pages which are loaded into memory (when run) which will cause a handle increase.
                          Thank you for commenting Jon. I am loading 4 files with the aspx loader. They are
                          Jon00DeviceList.aspx
                          jon00eventlist.aspx
                          Jono00inieditor.aspx
                          BLDSC_log.aspx

The last one is the log for my alarm system (BLDSC plug in). It always takes a long time to load, so I thought the Jon00AspxLoader would help. Perhaps that is causing problems.
                          Before seeing your note, I turned off the hourly Jon00AspxLoader and the slope of my handles graph flattened considerably. I will turn Jon00AspxLoader back on but remove BLDSC_log.aspx from the aspx loader and see if the graph still stays flat.
                          Many thanks
                          jono

Comment

I'm running Jon00DeviceList.aspx, Jon00DeviceList.aspx, Jono00inieditor.aspx and 20 plugins. 49 days of uptime and counting. Average handle count is 4612 handles. Definitely not Jon's. Can you explain why you're running Jon00AspxLoader hourly?
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                              I'm running Jon00DeviceList.aspx, Jon00DeviceList.aspx, Jono00inieditor.aspx and 20 plugins. 49 days of uptime and counting. Average handle count is 4612 handles. Definitely not Jon's. Can you explain why you're running Jon00AspxLoader hourly?
                              It is a really good question. For Device List, Event List and Ini Editor I would only need to run it once every day or even every few days. However, for my alarm log (since it is changing all the time) I wanted to run it hourly. For some reason the alarm log in BLDSC takes a long time to render, especially using myhs.homeseer.com, and I thought Jon00's Aspx Loader would help mitigate it.

So the nonideal but realistically appropriate thing to do is to run the loader once/day and not include the alarm log.

I don't really understand handles, so certainly don't understand what gives them back. Is it possible that the Aspx Loader uses them but doesn't "return" them until an HS3 restart?

Comment

Working...
                              X