Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does HS3 have any crash logs that I can look at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does HS3 have any crash logs that I can look at?

Hi all,

I'm migrating from HS2 to HS3, about a month or so into the transition, I have like 40-50 Z-Wave nodes on the new HS3 machine, with some scripting that I'm working on migrating.

Twice now, HS3 has simply exited, with no indication if the log as to what might have caused HS3 to exit. I eventually notice that events are no longer triggering, and go to check on the server, and HS3 just isn't running anymore. I can start HS3 back up again without having to reboot, and it runs again for a while. The last time it spontaneously exited showed nothing particularly interesting in the log:

Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup E-Mail SEND class started.
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup Web server class started.
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup Application interface class started.
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup COM port classes started.
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup Creating Class Objects...
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup ************************************************************ ********************
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup HomeSeer version 3.0.0.500 Edition: HS3 Standard Starting Now
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup ************************************************************ ********************
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup
    Mar-05 18:16:57 Startup Settings Loaded.
    Mar-05 14:11:37 Z-Wave Device: Basement Basement Devices Refrigerator Watts Set to 102.786 (102.786 Watts)
    Mar-05 14:11:27 Test Talia Motion Sensor OFF
    Mar-05 14:11:27 Z-Wave Device: Second Floor Talia Motion Sensor Set to NOTIFICATION for type Home Security, Event: No Event
    Mar-05 14:11:25 Z-Wave Device: Basement Basement Devices Refrigerator Amperes Set to 1.318 (1.318 Amperes)
    Mar-05 14:11:25 Z-Wave Device: Basement Basement Devices Refrigerator Volts Set to 120.233 (120.233 Volts)
    Mar-05 14:11:25 Z-Wave Device: Basement Basement Devices Refrigerator Watts Set to 103.397 (103.397 Watts)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

Current Date/Time: 3/7/2019 5:37:11 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.500
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 1 Day 23 Hours 20 Minutes 13 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Number of Devices: 238
    Number of Events: 4
    Available Threads: 400
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender
    In Virtual Machine: No MFG: intel corporationLicense: Registered
    License: 61565
    User Name and Access Level: default (Admin)
    WAN IP Address: 74.77.65.147
    Web Server Port: 80

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.140.0: BLRadar
    2.0.11.0: BLRfid
    3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3
    3.0.0.36: X10
    3.0.1.245: Z-Wave

Comment

Are you changing the log filter so that you can look at what was logged just before it crashed? That might give some clues. (It took me a couple of days after going to HS3 from HS2 to figure out that I had to do that to see log items from before the last startup.)

Comment

Oh, interesting. Well, this is what I see in the EventLog page, and it looks like I have everything enabled? I didn't see the "Show Source Thread" at first, but it looks like everything else should be set to a "show all" configuration?

Thanks,
        Chris

Attached Files

Comment

You need to change the beginning date and time range from 3/5/2019 2PM to sometime before the crash, and the ending range to now. Then click on apply.
          The annoying thing is that now it won't advance the ending time as time goes by. You won't see any new log entries after this until you reset the filter and close it.

Comment

Ok, yeah, I see what you're saying. I don't like the log filtering, and wish I could just pull open a flat text file like in HS2. I have years worth of HS2 log files that I can go back to, and I'm not a fan of having what amounts to a ring buffer for the logging. I might set up a script to save off a copy of the ring buffer once a week or something.

Anyway, if you look at the snapshot I posted earlier, the last thing I see is "Mar-05 14:11:37", where a normal event occurs just like it always does, and then that's it, HS3 apparently crashes and exits. The next timestamp is about four hours later, "Mar-05 18:16:57", after I've realized that HS3 is no longer running, and I started it back up again.

There are a couple of badly-behaving Z-Wave nodes in my network -- one is a Z-Plus wall switch that stopped responding to Z-Wave communication, so I removed it and added it back in, and it left the network again, and now the paddle doesn't even do anything; the other is a Z outside module that I command to tell it to turn off, and it accepts the command but ignores the request -- so maybe that's related. At this point I have to replace the Z-Plus wall switch because it's stuck on and I can't even turn it off manually, so maybe once I replace it HS3 will stop crashing. But the fact that HS3 is crashing is a real problem, if I have no idea why it crashed.

Chris

Comment

I held off going from HS2 to HS3 for a very long time due to reliability concerns. That said, so far HS3 has been reliable for me apart from some weird problem where it maxes out the CPU after several days to a few weeks. I have a plugin watching that and rebooting the PC when it happens, as a way to work around the problem.

Comment

I ran into something similar to that years ago with HS2, where the "handles", if I recall correctly, consumed would go through the roof, and I'd eventually have to unplug the computer and plug it in again because it wouldn't even shut down anymore. I installed the Windows debugging tools and tracked the consumption to activity in the log, and it turned out to be something to do with a plugin. I didn't really need to use that plugin, so I just stopped using it, and my problems went away.

Well, maybe with any luck, my problems will go away with HS3 crashing once I replace that bad Z-Plus node, but it's a bit disconcerting that there appears to be no indication whatsoever why HS3 crashed...

Chris

Comment

Yeah, I had that too. At least in my case, the handles were coming from a bug in .net having to do with network pings. I had a weekly event to reboot the PC as a work around.
                  I avoid Zwave, except for thermostats and door locks.

Comment

Gotcha. I've been using Z-Wave for quite a while, and I really like the responsiveness. What do you use instead of Z-Wave? I had also been using X-10 for decades, and with HS2 I had a couple dozen Z-Wave modules that worked fine for probably 5 or 6 years, and I didn't really see any problems.

As part of the move to HS3 a month ago, I swapped out 100% of the X-10 for Z-Wave, and the node failure might simply have been a defective unit. The outdoor Z-Wave module's misbehavior is rather odd, it just ignores the off request, so I have to send the command again for some reason.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by The Keeper View Post
                      Gotcha. I've been using Z-Wave for quite a while, and I really like the responsiveness. What do you use instead of Z-Wave? ...
                      Insteon. It's really fast and reliable.

Comment

Working...
                      X