Configuration File Proliferation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuration File Proliferation

I have more than 100 configuration files dating back 3 years with variations of this name: "HomeSeerData_Home_4_8_1.hsd". I am not clear what creates them, but it seems to be system changes. I have suffered the long-distance anguish of logging in to find only 10 devices instead of 100+ and learned that unexplained cpu reboots (Windows updates?) sometimes reboots HS3 with a different config file (??); I learned that replacing the old config file with a recently dated file usually restores all to good order. Two questions:

1. Any reason I can't delete about 90 of the older config files to reduce potential confusion?
    2. Can anyone offer a primer on the general operation of these config files and why I sometime reboot with an odd one?
    HS3Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Zstick
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    5 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls
    Serial Rain8Net Pro with 8 zones

They look like they might be automatic database file backups. What folder are they in? What is the name of your current Homeseer database folder? (The default name is "HomeSeerData.hsd". It is stored, with 10 numbered backups, in the Data folder.)
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Here is what happens:

Say your data file is HomeSeerData_Home.hsd, Homeseer will create 20 automatic backups by appending an underscore and a number 1-20 creating backups named HomeSeerData_Home_1.hsd through HomeSeerData_Home_20.hsd. These are not in chronological order by the number that is appended.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	1292173

Now suppose at some point you decide to revert to one of these backups named HomeSeerData_Home_4.hsd. From that point forward that will be your database file name and HomeSeer will now create 20 backups named HomeSeerData_Home_4_1 through HomeSeerData_Home_4_20.hsd.

Now suppose at some point you decide to revert to one of these backups named HomeSeerData_Home_4_8.hsd. From that point forward that will be your database file name and HomeSeer will now create 20 backups named HomeSeerData_Home_4_8_1 through HomeSeerData_Home_4_8_20.hsd.

You can see how this progression can get out of control.

The solution is:
      • Make a note of the database file currently in use, in your case it is "HomeSeerData_Home_4_8_1.hsd" or something like that

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	1292171
      • Shut down HomeSeer
      • Make a backup copy of your Data folder
      • delete all database files except for the one you noted as the one currently in use. If it is "HomeSeerData_Home_4_8_1.hsd" rename it "HomeSeerData_Home.hsd"
      • Start HomeSeer and when it is running, select "HomeSeerData_Home.hsd" as your configuration file in Setup (it may have reverted to a default "HomeSeerData.hsd".
      Then you should be all cleaned up and HomeSeer will again create backups "HomeSeerData_Home_1.hsd" through "HomeSeerData_Home_20.hsd" over time.

In the future if you have to move to one of the backup database files, shut down HomeSeer and rename it to be your primary.
      Randy Prade
      Aurora, CO
      Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

To add to Randy's thorough explanation, 20 copies is the default. You can increase this by adding the following section to settings.ini (while HS is shutdown):

Code:
        [Database]
        Backup_Copies=50
        Note that the values can be between 1-50, but larger than 50 is not supported. I run a nightly event to create a copy of the database so that I'm not limited to recovering from the last time I restarted HS. That way if the running copy is corrupted, and the backup process did not properly back up the running database, then the most I have to go back is a day.
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1970 Devices 1148 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I also echo Al's suggestion of a separate backup plan. I use BLBackup to create backups twice a day, though once a day is probably sufficient. I used twice a day as I was building out my system so that it was easier to reconstruct lost Events, but now that my system is mature and I am not changing it much, once a day would be sufficient. At any time I retain the last 60 backups (30 days, twice a day).

In the Event of a failure, I have a complete snapshot of my entire HS3 directory structure to roll back to.
          Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

If I'm changing stuff I do a complete directory backup to an external system both before and after changes. Otherwise, I do a complete backup once a week.
            HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
            Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
            Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the thorough primer! Now I know what to do.
              HS3Pro on Windows 10
              5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

So, this config file is where device additions and events are stored?
                HS3Pro on Windows 10
                5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
                  So, this config file is where device additions and events are stored?
                  If you are referring to the .hsd file, yes, this database is where events and devices are stored along with a few other things such as timers, etc.
                  HS 3.0.0.548: 1970 Devices 1148 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                  X