Multiple Znet Networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Znet Networks

Sorry to crash this forum, but my previous post on the Z Net Sub Forum got no response. I am hesitant to dive into this task without a little guidance. Can anyone offer something?

​​​​​​​I have a large floorplate, lath and plaster home that frustrates some of my zwave communications between 110 devices. I eventually got a second Znet, but installed it as a Secondary to my existing Primary interface; this helped communications, but not to the extent I expected. I now am led to believe that I should have set up a second network in lieu of the secondary interface on the same network; do I understand correctly? Doing so will apparently entail deleting/reinstalling devices and repopulating lots of events. I have searched the forum, but am not finding just my circumstance (though it must be there...). If a second network is the solution, what are the steps to correctly unwind a primary/secondary Znet interface and then reinstall devices while doing the least possible damage to events and who knows what else. Does a step-by-step description exist or, if not, is anyone willing to offer some guidance? Thanks for the help.
    HS3Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Zstick
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    5 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls
    Serial Rain8Net Pro with 8 zones

I am certainly no expert, but I also have a large home with 12 inch walls of stone and stucco. I installed my HS3 with 3 Znet's on it, and have zero problems. So, I have 3 z wave networks on one HS3. They are all connected via ethernet. I do have over 500 devises so many that helps.

Comment

Shariff - i now have 6 z-nets running concurrently and system works great. My reco is to not put more than 70 devices per znet -- and 50 is better. While you get benefits from the mesh with more devices, in my experience after 50 nodes the performance gets shaky. It's a real pain to move devices across nets -- just take your time, document before you delete, and chunk away. If you don'y yet use Jon00's EventViewer, i suggest getting it (and Device Viewer). It will help you find/fix your events after you move a device.

Comment

PS: i also find Z-Seer+ to be useful. i moved my devices around on each znet to roughly match the physical layout -- in 2 dimensions. Makes it easier to think thru the 3-dimensional space and decide what goes on which znet. Not needed much anymore, but when i was moving stuff around it was my primary tool.

Comment

Thank you for the confirmation of multiple networks. My other question is physically how to go about unwinding a secondary Z net; do I just disconnect and delete everything on that Znet?
          HS3Pro on Windows 10
          5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Solved. Thank you.
            HS3Pro on Windows 10
            5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Are all your devices still pointing at the original Znet?
              Devices close to the new Znet should be assigned to it.

I run 4 Znet all on 1 network, they all stay syncronized, but you can optimize which Znet a device talks to.
              Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro 3.0.0.435
              Hometroller S6 | Devices: 601 | Events: 202
              Plug-Ins: Z-Wave .190 | HSTouch | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3
              BLLAN | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blur-Iris :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
                Solved. Thank you.
                Hi Sheriff,
                What did you end up deciding to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

I installed a 2nd network.
                  HS3Pro on Windows 10
                  5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Working...