Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Multiple Znet Networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Znet Networks

Sorry to crash this forum, but my previous post on the Z Net Sub Forum got no response. I am hesitant to dive into this task without a little guidance. Can anyone offer something?

​​​​​​​I have a large floorplate, lath and plaster home that frustrates some of my zwave communications between 110 devices. I eventually got a second Znet, but installed it as a Secondary to my existing Primary interface; this helped communications, but not to the extent I expected. I now am led to believe that I should have set up a second network in lieu of the secondary interface on the same network; do I understand correctly? Doing so will apparently entail deleting/reinstalling devices and repopulating lots of events. I have searched the forum, but am not finding just my circumstance (though it must be there...). If a second network is the solution, what are the steps to correctly unwind a primary/secondary Znet interface and then reinstall devices while doing the least possible damage to events and who knows what else. Does a step-by-step description exist or, if not, is anyone willing to offer some guidance? Thanks for the help.
    HS3Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Zstick
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    5 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls
    Serial Rain8Net Pro with 8 zones

I am certainly no expert, but I also have a large home with 12 inch walls of stone and stucco. I installed my HS3 with 3 Znet's on it, and have zero problems. So, I have 3 z wave networks on one HS3. They are all connected via ethernet. I do have over 500 devises so many that helps.

Comment

Shariff - i now have 6 z-nets running concurrently and system works great. My reco is to not put more than 70 devices per znet -- and 50 is better. While you get benefits from the mesh with more devices, in my experience after 50 nodes the performance gets shaky. It's a real pain to move devices across nets -- just take your time, document before you delete, and chunk away. If you don'y yet use Jon00's EventViewer, i suggest getting it (and Device Viewer). It will help you find/fix your events after you move a device.

Comment

PS: i also find Z-Seer+ to be useful. i moved my devices around on each znet to roughly match the physical layout -- in 2 dimensions. Makes it easier to think thru the 3-dimensional space and decide what goes on which znet. Not needed much anymore, but when i was moving stuff around it was my primary tool.

Comment

Thank you for the confirmation of multiple networks. My other question is physically how to go about unwinding a secondary Z net; do I just disconnect and delete everything on that Znet?
          HS3Pro on Windows 10
          5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Solved. Thank you.
            HS3Pro on Windows 10
            5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Are all your devices still pointing at the original Znet?
              Devices close to the new Znet should be assigned to it.

I run 4 Znet all on 1 network, they all stay syncronized, but you can optimize which Znet a device talks to.
              Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro 3.0.0.548
              Hometroller S6 | Devices: 832 | Events: 211
              Plug-Ins: Z-Wave .252 | HSTouch | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
              BLLAN | BLPLEX | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blur-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
                Solved. Thank you.
                Hi Sheriff,
                What did you end up deciding to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 996 Devices, 547 Events
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

I installed a 2nd network.
                  HS3Pro on Windows 10
                  5 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Working...