Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
    Wadenut,
    At the time I moved from Hs2 to Hs3 was a bit abrupt. I came home one day to find out someone let all the smoke out of my Hometroller (smoke theory of electronics).

Stuart
    LOL. You mean the "Magic Smoke". What, no backup?
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Maybe I don't get the definition of ON and OFF in HS3.

I've got a virtual device defined with three values: (In HS2 I'd used two devices with simple status On/Off to accomplish this. Thought it was a good time to rethink a few things.)

Value 0: Control Use "OFF" (Away)
      Value 1: Control Use "OFF" (Sleeping)
      Value 2: Control Use "ON" (Home/Awake)

All three Status-Controls on the Status/Graphics tab for this device are set to "Both".

Yet, when I use hs.IsOn or hs.IsOff to test the status of this device, both Value 1 and 2 appear to return "ON". Only Value 2 should; while I would expect 0 and 1 to return Off. I'm obviously wrong.
      I've ended up having to use hs.DeviceValue (at 3AM) to test the device in order to get the result I need.

I use this to control how lights react to motion at various times of day. It literally kept me up all night with my partner moving around while I was trying to sleep.

Comment

The Control Use parameters were added to HS3 relatively recently and I believe are mainly intended for ensuring Alexa/Google Home work properly. Since hs.ison/hs.isoff have been around fro a while, I would expect them not to use those parameters at all, so what you're seeing is how I would expect it to work.
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

hmmmm Z-Stick+ on sale. Any good?
          I can actually buy it cheaper from Aartech in Toronto, and likely get it faster without having to deal with Customs.
          Thoughts? Keep in mind I'm still using a Z-Troller.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            hmmmm Z-Stick+ on sale. Any good?
            I can actually buy it cheaper from Aartech in Toronto, and likely get it faster without having to deal with Customs.
            Thoughts? Keep in mind I'm still using a Z-Troller.
            They work well as far as I've heard. I would use with a USB extension cable to get it a bit further away from the computer. I believe you can restore the z-troller backup to it, so should be fine from that perspective. Doesn't look Aartech actually has it in stock, but I no longer buy anything (other than software) direct from HS as they only ship using Fedex now and they are horrible with their brokerage/handling fees that they charge for delivering here.
            HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

They work well as far as I've heard. I would use with a USB extension cable to get it a bit further away from the computer. I believe you can restore the z-troller backup to it, so should be fine from that perspective. Doesn't look Aartech actually has it in stock, but I no longer buy anything (other than software) direct from HS as they only ship using Fedex now and they are horrible with their brokerage/handling fees that they charge for delivering here.
              Yeah, I got bitten by FrdUp years ago when I bought the HS PCI modem direct from HST. I paid more in brokerage as I did for the card. I did order once from them since after convincing them to ship postal, but after that they refused.
              From the email I got, it looks like HST has just gotten the ZStick in stock, which means AArtech likely will as well soon. I may just fire them an email and ask.

Comment

Pretty much done with this project.

- All of the core events (those triggered by human activity) are finished and working, although a few will need a bit of tuning, ie. Times of day when lights turn on to various Dim levels.
                - Night shutdown and Wakeup events complete. Shutdown turns off the Speakers and re-configures lighting events for "Sleeping Mode" automatically based on motion sensor activity, or on a schedule as determined by Occupation.
                - Home/Away Events and Devices which track motion around the house: Done. (Who needs plugins for something this simple?)
                - Most of the security events are up to the same speed they were. Spent the best part of yesterday on the event that automatically arms security when the system determines that everyone has left the house. Still having a bit of an issue with re-enabling events when someone returns home and unlocks a door by keypad from outside. HS3 seems to interpret the lock Notifications slightly differently than 2. (I'll figure it out!)
                - HVAC Events are done and working as far as the Furnace is concerned. The Air Conditioning events are completed and "Should Work", but I'll need to verify when the season arrives. Usage data (Propane/AC) has yet to be restored, but that's not a big priority.
                - Telephone Events and devices all configured. I haven't been bothered by telemarketers or Scammers calling since doing this last year. The phone just never rings for them, while valid calls are processed as usual.
                - PWS (Weather Station) data is being recorded again. I've been tracking monthly weather events (Highs/Lows, Rain, Wind and Lightning) for the past ten years and have a database going back that far. My PWS has been monitored from time to time by some of the local Radio/TV Weather reporters.
                - Finally have full control over the Homeseer FLS100. It worked under HS2, but I was unable to set some controls in the device, notably the ability to keep the floodlight from turning on when it wasn't wanted.
                - Was able to discard a few events I'd used in HS2 to interpret the Z-Smoke smoke detectors. HS3 has these controls where while HS2 did receive the notifications, it was up to me to interpret them and populate associated devices using scripts.

Still need to:
                - Reconstruct the UPS events (Yes, using APCUPSD plugin). This one turns off devices and computers in turn as the UPS battery depletes, finally shutting down Homeseer and it's computer in the case of a protracted power failure.
                - RFID events which Open/Close the garage when the car arrives or leaves the area. (Not a priority).
                - I did have a number of graphs running under HS2. I think I'll not bother with most of those at all. They were of very little use anyway.
                - The BetaBrite LED signs need to be set up. Mainly use this in the garage when I do, which is rare, and not particularly important. Under HS2, there were a couple of options, but with HS3 only one it seems; one which I don't particularly like. I may have to undertake this project on my own sometime.
                - There may be a few other minor functions I've not thought of here.

And finally, HSTouch. I counted... I have 92 screens. All of them need to be updated for HS3. I've only done about a half dozen so far. This is very, very tedious work, but it's got to be done eventually. The HS2 Android Client does seem to work under HS3, but I need to update all of my touch-pads with the HS3 version to take advantage of some functions.
                A few of the older pads don't have access to the Google Store so I'll need to side load the client on them. Guess what... It's been years, and I've completely forgotten how this is done.
                I've been searching the board; I know the information is there, but it's buried. Could use a bit of advice there... Anyone...

One of the biggest reasons I finally embarked on this journey was that most of my motion events seemed to be extremely slow at times. You'd walk into a dark room and wait, sometimes 30 seconds or more, for the light to turn on. It was quite annoying and I had daily complaints about this or that not working.
                It was impossible to determine the cause. Was HS just busy? Was the Z-Wave system backed up? Were the X10RF motion sensors just not being seen? So, I decided to try some more Z-Wave Motion sensors first. The ones I bought just didn't play at all with HS2 and were returned. Option: Upgrade to HS3 so I can use newer devices.
                Having converted however, I'm finding that the X10RF works 100% of the time. Lights work nearly instantly too, so there's no urgency now to spend $$$ on new motion sensors.

<Rant> I still don't much like the HS3 UI. I find it cartoonish to begin with, and several steps are necessary to simply enter a value into an element, where HS2 was clean and professional looking, and events/devices could be configured, in most cases, in just a few intuitive steps. In HS2, I could select a Room with just a single click on a drop down menu. Now, it's open the menu, deselect everything I don't want to see, usually in two separate drop downs, and select the one I do want. Finding and changing an event is no easier. To change a simple value, I could with HS2, just enter it. Now it's select the field, a box of values opens, select one, close. Annoying.
                This is just my opinion, and I'll get accustomed to it eventually. </Rant>

Finally (for now) I want to thank everyone who helped me through understanding some of the nuances of HS3. I owe you all a case of beer. I couldn't have done this without your assistance.

Comment

Well, it seems I hadn't forgotten how to install HSTouch client sideways after all. Just had a bad copy. Tried an earlier version just now and it installed fine on an old pad.

Comment

Well, It is finished.
                    Just a little spit and polish needed now.
                    Very happy.

In HS2, I had no less than 22 plugins installed and 19 of them enabled and used. I have a feeling this likely contributed to the sluggishness I'd seen with motion sensor response, and a lot of other things, for a very long time. In HS3, I'm doing it all with only five plugins, including Z-Wave which was built in to HS2.. Quite happy with that. A bonus I didn't expect as the plan was to upgrade a lot of hardware at a cost exceeding $1000. Under $100 in plugins is much easier to swallow.

Perhaps someone in the future making this journey will find this thread and make use of it, as I'm quite sure almost every pothole has been filled in here.

The one remaining mystery is why define cameras in HS3 for use in HSTouch (specifically I assume) when there doesn't seem to be any specific control available in HST to view video rather than a series of snapshots, and the same URL string for the cameras seems to be required. Still searching the board for that answer.

Comment

And moving on...
                      Finally, a power failure event set that actually works. Never did get this right in HS2.
                      Uses two plugins. APCUPSD and UltraMon. (Had both in HS2 as well).

- Power fails... Start a timer.
                      - After being on battery for two minutes, shut off the monitor and printer, etc. And command the second computer on the UPS to Hibernate.
                      - Seven minutes later, if still on battery, command the Homeseer computer to Hibernate (have yet to figure out how to shutdown Homeseer and then shut off the computer).

- If Power is restored before HS shuts down, the timer is cancelled... Everything resets.

When power is restored,
                      - The HS machine is set to Start up through the BIOS... It boots up and restores all running processes including HS.
                      - Send a Wakeup to the second computer so it restarts right where it left off.

What could go wrong? Short period of power while a restart is in progress and HS hasn't finished resuming operation I suppose.

Comment

Oh, and ordered the SmartStick+ from AArtech. Should have it in a week. It'll be connected through a powered USB hub and mounted at the ceiling of my basement office.
                        Must say though, I'll miss the digital display on the Z-Troller.

Comment

have yet to figure out how to shutdown Homeseer and then shut off the computer.
                          CFGuy's free Restart plugin will do this.
                          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

CFGuy's free Restart plugin will do this.
                            I've seen that and I'll look at it.
                            Meantime, working on Energy management today.

Comment

Timers and Counters are useful, but they could be a much more powerful tool if a few simple scripting functions were available. I've just read an entire thread discussing this same thing, from 2013. It seems nothing ever came of it.

I have an event that's triggered when my Gas Furnace is running to lower the setpoint after the temperature has been stable for X hours. In HS2, one event and one script got the job done. The timer in that case consisted of a few time calculations and a Waitsecs loop. I may just return to that method or some variation of it.
                              I tried doing the same thing with a Timer in HS3 using a timer rather than the Wait so that the script isn't left perpetually running for an hour or more. I've ended up with three events to do the same job. One, to make the decisions, another to Start a timer (called from the script); and yet a third event, also called from the script, to reset/stop the timer and lower the thermostat setpoint.

It works, but seems a bit of a kluge to me, where it could all be done simply with availability of a few simple scripting functions: StartTimer and StopTimer. (Trigger an event which runs a script which in turn is required to trigger two other events... ugh!). Perhaps I'd been working with PLCs a bit too long where I had absolute control of timers and counters from within a program.

I haven't read the HS3 SDK as yet, but I'll be surprised if there's not something there.

A lot of times it seems the programmers say, "Hey, let's do this", work on it for a day, then move on to the next great idea without ever completing the job or properly documenting what has been done.

Comment

I tried doing the same thing with a Timer in HS3 using a timer rather than the Wait so that the script isn't left perpetually running for an hour or more. I've ended up with three events to do the same job. One, to make the decisions, another to Start a timer (called from the script); and yet a third event, also called from the script, to reset/stop the timer and lower the thermostat setpoint. It works, but seems a bit of a kluge to me, where it could all be done simply with availability of a few simple scripting functions: StartTimer and StopTimer.
                                I find it psychologically useful to think of an event as a scripting function in situations like this. The script line that runs the event is the scripting call to the timer. It seems kludgy mostly because HS is a different programming environment than your mental model. It requires a conceptual shift to embrace the methods HS provides. I don't think HS is inherently less efficient, but it does require learning its quirks and being flexible in adapting its methods to solving a problem.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Working...
                                X