No announcement yet.

HS3 Migration Ongoing Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS is ever evolving. Perhaps someday. It's another reason I'm late to the party. Early on I didn't feel HS3 was reliable enough, with some of it's functions still buggy and the endless parade of updates at the time, while with the end of line fixes Rick had given HS2, it was completely reliable IMO. Nonetheless, I'm committed now and there'll be no going back.

No denying it's a different world than PLC with a very different learning curve in HS3 even over HS2. After 30 years working with PLC automation on a daily basis, I used to tell managers I could make their machines stand up and salute while playing the national anthem if that's what they wanted. Sooner or later, it'll be the same here.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Hopefully the migration to HS4 will be a bit easier. Rich mentioned in a post that the intent is to release it before year-end: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...97#post1296997
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

OMG! I don't know if I'd survive another bout like this.

Comment

You're not the only one who has had this thought...
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Rich promised it wouldn't be a complete rewrite like HS3 was, but I'm still planning to be a LATE adopter. . .maybe wait until I'm dead.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Rich promised it wouldn't be a complete rewrite like HS3 was, but I'm still planning to be a LATE adopter. . .maybe wait until I'm dead.
              Ditto. Really, the only reason I made this "grave" decision this time was that I'd run into the wall with some newer devices about a month ago. I'd actually bought my licence when HS3 first came out, but didn't see any real advantage in using the program at that time.

Comment

Now this is one for Ripley's Believe It Or Not I think.

Most of my lighting events run scripts to turn on/off lights to different dim levels depending on time of day and a set of conditions (day/night, awake/sleeping, outside luminance, which adjacent room saw motion just previous, etc.). Too many conditions to keep track of directly with event actions where one script does it all, the same way several other room lights are controlled here..

I use Leviton VR106 Z-Wave wall dimmers on all of my lights. Most use Philips LED bulbs. I've tried other bulbs with lesser success (NOMA bulbs are pure garbage BTW. They work for about a month before they start to flicker).

Since the beginning (HS3), my kitchen ceiling light has been haunted. All the other lights have worked pretty much exactly how they did under HS2. I've been quite impressed with the response of motion --> effect as well whereas under 2 there were noticeable delays. This was the trigger to my migration as I'd planned to replace X10RF motion sensors with Z-Wave sensors; something I don't need to do now.

This one light however, seems to be possessed! I'm talking Linda Blair and pea soup here. Most times, you'd walk into the room, the light would turn on,,, then off, dim back up, turn off, then finally on and settle down. Sometimes it acts like a disco strobe light for about fifteen seconds. Quite annoying.
                It wouldn't do this all of the time though. A head scratcher for sure...

The thing is, if I control the light from the UI or HSTouch using either the On/Off/Last buttons or the sliders, it works just fine; like the demon stepped out for a smoke or something.

It happened this morning when I got up to pour myself a coffee and head to the computer to work on my HSTouch project.
                I determined to find the problem this morning. Dim up to the proper level, then off, then back up, finally to full brightness... nearly blinded me.

Do I need to replace the bulbs? The Dimmer? Re-wire? What? But wait... It only occurs when running the script event. I've looked at that script a dozen times. It doesn't do anything differently than any other.

Maybe if I delete and re-add the Z-Wave Dimmer or Optimize it yet again. Nope.

I looked at the configuration of the Z-Wave Dimmer. Looked fine. Looked at the configuration of all the other dimmers. Nothing. Looked again, and again. Hey! Wait! This is the only light in the house with the "Is Light" checkbox selected in the config.
                Could that be it? Uncheck it. Walk up to the kitchen..... And... and... hmmm. Worked properly this time!!! Is the demon exorcised? Time will tell.

Now, my question. What is the "Is Light" selection supposed to do anyway? I've searched the Help for "Is Light" but no results. (Try the board next, but 34 pages turn up, most unrelated.) Has anyone run into this in the past?

Comment

And One more hitch.
                  Time to delete the HS2 Folder. Zipped it up first though and good thing.
                  When I tried to delete the HS2 Folder, one stubborn file refused to go. "hsrecord2.exe" because it was in use. No problem, start task manager and stop the process. The file went away.
                  Today, had to restart HS3 and had errors. hsrecord2.exe missing so couldn't start the Hi-Phone modem.
                  Unzip the HS2 folder again, and HS3 starts up fine. Tried moving the file to the HS3 folder (long shot) and of course that didn't work.

Look in the registry with Regedit. Sure enough, it needs that file in ]Homeseer HS2.
                  Edit the registry.... Nope, not so fast. Going to backup the hard drive first, then edit the registry. Wish me luck
                  Meantime, if there's an easier way, short of reinstalling drivers which I can't find here anywhere, I'll be watching the board so do let me know.

Comment

By default the HSPhone / HS3 Windows HS3 drivers are included and optionally enabled. Before this though install the W2C drivers from the W2C site and do the testing using the W2C application. Then when starting HS3 watch the boot log for the W2C device to come on line.

Rich / HST is no longer supporting HSPhone.

Note too that the porting of HSPhone from HS2 to HS3 doesn't include all of the features available in HS2.

Here can get it to run fine on an Oracle Virtual Box running Windows 7 32 bit inside of the Ubuntu 18.04 HS3 Pro build box.

That said there is a HS3 user trying to make the plugin autonomous from the main HS3 program.

One of the most recent issues was trying to get the W2C drivers running in Windows 10 (they work fine in Windows 7).

Here I am a happy camper running HS3 on Linux. Never breaks always ticking; very solid. For Windows running have seen that Windows Standard server 2016 is a nice solid build more suitable to running HS3 than Windows 10...but that is my opinion.

Microsoft is finally letting users remove some of the fluff embedded in to Microsoft Windows 10 that is more eye candy than functional these days and now replacing IE with a Chrome based browser with Microsoft add ons.

Personally still here prefer Firefox over Chrome and now though using propietary pieces of Chrome relating to DRM based stuff in Windows / Android Chrome.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

• - I've had trouble with drivers from the W2C site before so I'm staying away from that. The set I'd installed worked and if necessary, I'll reinstall that when I find it among the pile of disks under my desk. Just have to root through the box if necessary..
                      - I haven't noticed any missing functions with the W2C on HS3 at all.
                      Meantime, it all else fails, I can leave the file where it is.

Backup was due anyway and is half done.

If HSt isn't going to support the modem, all the more reason to avoid HS4 altogether.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                        Now this is one for Ripley's Believe It Or Not I think.

Most of my lighting events run scripts to turn on/off lights to different dim levels depending on time of day and a set of conditions (day/night, awake/sleeping, outside luminance, which adjacent room saw motion just previous, etc.). Too many conditions to keep track of directly with event actions where one script does it all, the same way several other room lights are controlled here..

I use Leviton VR106 Z-Wave wall dimmers on all of my lights. Most use Philips LED bulbs. I've tried other bulbs with lesser success (NOMA bulbs are pure garbage BTW. They work for about a month before they start to flicker).

Since the beginning (HS3), my kitchen ceiling light has been haunted. All the other lights have worked pretty much exactly how they did under HS2. I've been quite impressed with the response of motion --> effect as well whereas under 2 there were noticeable delays. This was the trigger to my migration as I'd planned to replace X10RF motion sensors with Z-Wave sensors; something I don't need to do now.

This one light however, seems to be possessed! I'm talking Linda Blair and pea soup here. Most times, you'd walk into the room, the light would turn on,,, then off, dim back up, turn off, then finally on and settle down. Sometimes it acts like a disco strobe light for about fifteen seconds. Quite annoying.
                        It wouldn't do this all of the time though. A head scratcher for sure...

The thing is, if I control the light from the UI or HSTouch using either the On/Off/Last buttons or the sliders, it works just fine; like the demon stepped out for a smoke or something.

It happened this morning when I got up to pour myself a coffee and head to the computer to work on my HSTouch project.
                        I determined to find the problem this morning. Dim up to the proper level, then off, then back up, finally to full brightness... nearly blinded me.

Do I need to replace the bulbs? The Dimmer? Re-wire? What? But wait... It only occurs when running the script event. I've looked at that script a dozen times. It doesn't do anything differently than any other.

Maybe if I delete and re-add the Z-Wave Dimmer or Optimize it yet again. Nope.

I looked at the configuration of the Z-Wave Dimmer. Looked fine. Looked at the configuration of all the other dimmers. Nothing. Looked again, and again. Hey! Wait! This is the only light in the house with the "Is Light" checkbox selected in the config.
                        Could that be it? Uncheck it. Walk up to the kitchen..... And... and... hmmm. Worked properly this time!!! Is the demon exorcised? Time will tell.

Now, my question. What is the "Is Light" selection supposed to do anyway? I've searched the Help for "Is Light" but no results. (Try the board next, but 34 pages turn up, most unrelated.) Has anyone run into this in the past?
                        My understanding of the “Is Light” selection is that it is intended to be used for letting third party services like Alexa and Google Home know that those devices are lights. At some point I enabled it for all of my lights even though I don’t use those services. I haven’t seen any negative effects from having it checked and control a number of my lights with scripts as well. What CAPI commands are you sending to those lights?
                        HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

• And. Success.
                          For some reason hsrecord2.exe was in two locations in HS2, and the registry reflected that. The HS3 installer hadn't corrected the entries where the file was in the root directory of HS2 (Also in \Homeseer HSPro\Bin). Changed all the entries to \Homeseer HS3\bin, deleted all the unnecessary copies... reboot and restart HS. No errors.

Comment

• LOL. Did I say "one more". Fixed that problem, but while I was straightening that out, my Davis weather station went down completely. Spent all night and most of this morning trying to get it to respond. Turned out to be a dying battery in the station (wireless) and absolutely noting to do with my activity. Trip to the roof in windy, freezing weather fixed that. Total coincidence.

Comment

• Just enabled the Alexa skill. Gotta say, KEWL !!

Only have to go through nearly 500 devices now to enable Voice control on the ones I want. Hadn't thought of that when setting up.

Comment

• Just select all the devices you want on the management page - left select button, then got to the top (just under the Home/Device List) and a select the dropdown where you'll see "Enable Voice"
                                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                                X