HS3 Issue or Z-Wave Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 Issue or Z-Wave Issue?

I am not sure if this is an issue with my Z-wave network or with HS3. Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Several times per day I seem to experience a delay in z-wave communication. I cannot determine if it is truly a delay in communication or if it is a delay in HS3 processing the communication. It also happens randomly. Sometimes there are no issues, sometimes it is just a few second delay and sometimes it is a long 30+ second delay. Where I notice this most often is that I have an event set up that if any of my garage doors is opened, it automatically turns on the garage lights. Sometimes when I open the door, the lights turn on immediately which is what I expect. The majority of the time there is a 2-3 second delay which I can live with. However, sometimes it is much worse, like this morning was close to 1 minute before the lights turned on. During the delay period I looked on my HomeSeer Mobile app and it showed all of the door statuses as closed, and after waiting a little longer, the lights finally turned on and I looked back at my phone and sure enough, it showed the door as being open.

The timing and time of day seem to be completely random when the issues will occur and how long the delay will be. I can't find any one thing to be able to blame for this.

I have tried lots of different things to try to improve my system performance and nothing really seems to resolve it. Some things I have done include; Optimize/Full Optimize Z-wave network, Rebooting Windows 10 machine which runs HS3, Making HS3 a priority application in Windows, making sure Windows and other applications are not causing issues on PC.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any suggestions on what I might be able to do to either pinpoint the issue or even better - resolve it?

A different example, but similar issue is when i double/triple tap a switch to execute an event. Sometimes execution happens immediately, sometimes a minor delay and sometimes a substantial delay.

Comment

Haven't experienced it recently. Could be related to z-wave traffic as only one device can communicate at a time. Do you have frequent polling set up, devices that transmit a lot of data such as power monitoring, etc.? What versions of OS and the z-wave plugin are you running? Have you looked at the queue values in the z-wave plugin and the debug logging for it?
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1970 Devices 1148 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any polling set up. I do not have any power motioning equipment. The one thing I am questioning is I have a multi-device that reports luminance one per minute. I have a total of 51 nodes.

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, version 1803, build 17134.465
        Z-Wave Plugin 3.0.1.252 (I have tried multiple beta versions, and recently reverted back to the standard release version in case that was the issue)

I am not sure if I know where to find the queue values or debug logging for it.

Comment

Originally posted by lingerba View Post
          To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any polling set up. I do not have any power motioning equipment. The one thing I am questioning is I have a multi-device that reports luminance one per minute. I have a total of 51 nodes.

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, version 1803, build 17134.465
          Z-Wave Plugin 3.0.1.252 (I have tried multiple beta versions, and recently reverted back to the standard release version in case that was the issue)

I am not sure if I know where to find the queue values or debug logging for it.
          Which version of HS? Once a minute should not be an issue, with that number of devices. To find the debug logging settings go to the Plug-Ins - Manage page, and then click on the hyperlink for the z-wave plugin. That should take you to http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz/ZWaveConfig.
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1970 Devices 1148 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.531 (Windows).

I have debug logging enabled. I will check them out. Let me know if there is anything specific you think I should look for.

Comment

What's the layout of your nodes?

How many powered devices? Where are they located relative to your controller?
              How many battery devices? Where are they located relative to the powered devices?
              Are these all Z-Wave Plus devices or a mixture of older Z-Wave and Plus?

Z-Wave has a 4 hop max for messages. When you have relatively few or a whole lot of devices this becomes a problem as it can take too many hops to reach the far end devices and when you have too many devices it can become a mess with the routing and the time it takes when a bad device/route is in the mixture.

Do you have the HomeSeer Z-Seer+ tool? You may want to consider it for having a visual of your network and how devices are communicating. An issue with Z-Wave is that even though you optimize the routes will change on their own as the devices try to "self heal" and this will sometimes actually cause a problem when you have devices at the fringe of the 4 hop max and there aren't enough devices to setup multiple routes.

Comment

My system is predominantly hardwired devices (41). I have 9 battery operated devices: 3 deadbolts, 4 door switches, 2 remote controls. My computer running HS is all of the way on one side of the house. The majority of the devices are Z-wave Plus, but I know there are some standard Z-wave mixed in.

I did not have Z-Seer+ so I went ahead and go it. I ran a couple of tests and the results were pretty consistent. 30/50 devices (60%) communicated directly with my controller. 9/50 (18%) had one hop. 11/50 had two hops. Nothing had more than 2 hops.

Comment

Working...
                X