Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer Linux default Shell Scripts - why don't they work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HomeSeer Linux default Shell Scripts - why don't they work?

So after a lot of troubleshooting I finally got the following message:

/usr/local/HomeSeer$ ./restart.sh

Code:
    Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Interactive authentication required.
    Failed to reboot system via logind: Interactive authentication required.
    Failed to open initctl fifo: Permission denied
    Failed to talk to init daemon.
    Clearly due to the lack of a clear and concise installation guidance something has been missed. None of the scripts within the website actually reboot the controller or do anything else likely due to the above error.

I already set chmod +x on the .SH files.

As a side note there appears to be some kind of upgrade script as well but the format of the file vs the actual download links is incorrect as well as the execution of those command lines (From upgradehs.sh):
    Code:
    sudo rm hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_$1.tar.gz

sudo wget http://homeseer.com/updates3/hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_$1.tar.gz

sudo tar xavf hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_$1.tar.gz

sudo chmod +x install.sh

sudo ./install.sh

Looking for some guidance if possible.

Also - when I try to change the default system password to enable the Linux Tools I get the attached screenshot error saying that "check_passwd - no such fle or directory"

The file is there and I replaced it with a fresh one from v531....

Comment

Looks like this was discussed last year:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Still goes back to my overall complaint with no vendor guidance for a full and consistent setup document...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had no linux experience 1 years ago. And have been able to tranfer my windows install to linux in less than a day.

There is no real way to install it on windows too. They asume you can install an .msi.

Here on Linux they assume you can work with tar files. And you know you can install it where you want.

Google this two:

Linux install homeseer

homeseer as a service Linux

after that..when you are more experienced , as on windows ( you can play with the installation with windows task etc), then you’ll be able to turn off hs3 properly (you can even google : how to turn off homeseer gracefully linux)

Comment

Originally posted by splumlee View Post
          So after a lot of troubleshooting I finally got the following message:

/usr/local/HomeSeer$ ./restart.sh

Code:
          Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Interactive authentication required.
          Failed to reboot system via logind: Interactive authentication required.
          Failed to open initctl fifo: Permission denied
          Failed to talk to init daemon.
          Clearly due to the lack of a clear and concise installation guidance something has been missed. None of the scripts within the website actually reboot the controller or do anything else likely due to the above error.

I already set chmod +x on the .SH files.

As a side note there appears to be some kind of upgrade script as well but the format of the file vs the actual download links is incorrect as well as the execution of those command lines (From upgradehs.sh):
          Code:
          sudo rm hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_$1.tar.gz

sudo wget http://homeseer.com/updates3/hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_$1.tar.gz

sudo tar xavf hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_$1.tar.gz

sudo chmod +x install.sh

sudo ./install.sh

Looking for some guidance if possible.
          restart.sh needs to be run as superuser. Try

Code:
          sudo ./restart.sh
          Regarding check_passwd - the version of this file in the standard distribution is an Intel executable, which won't run on an ARM processor. I posted an Linux installer package with a platform-neutral alternative (perl script).

Code:
          #!/usr/bin/perl
          # check_passwd - HS3-linux tool script
          # supports: TOOLS->System->Linux Tools, TOOLS->System->Change System Password
          # login password validation
          # usage: check_passwd username password
          # returns 0 if valid username/password provided; 1 otherwise

use strict;
          use warnings;
          use English;

die "$0: must be superuser!\n" if $UID;

my $username = shift;
          my $passwd = shift;

my (undef, $crypt) = getpwnam($username) if $username;
          my $rc = (defined ($passwd) and defined($crypt) and crypt($passwd, $crypt) eq $crypt) ? 0 : 1;
          exit $rc;
          HomeSeer's Linux skillz are suspect at best...

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
            There is no real way to install it on windows too. They asume you can install an .msi.

Here on Linux they assume you can work with tar files. And you know you can install it where you want.
            I respectfully disagree. Also you didn't really help me out there. Maybe someone else has a direct answer.

To Matt:
            Within the windows environment you don't get a choice of where you get to put things that's what the purpose of the MSI file is is - to properly set it up.

Within the Linux environment because it is flexible - yes, you can put it wherever you want. However I suspect you have not looked into the back end operations of how homeseer actually operates. There are references to folder structures and other things that get broken (like plug-ins) if you choose to just install it "wherever you want" .

I give up. I don't know what I can say to have people on this form understand that this is not a Linux issue this is a HS3 simple configuration guidance issue.

I know how to Google - I do it every day in my professional career. The problem on the forum is that everyone is just guessing and there is no support from the vendor.

If it makes you feel better I was able to install Linux and move over my profile in about 15 minutes and have a fully functional system. The problem is all the other features on the back end when you start diving into homeseer that don't actually function. Sure the basics work no matter how you half-*** your install, but it is not how I guarantee Homeseer does it.

HS Rant over. Let focus on the original issue.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              HomeSeer's Linux skillz are suspect at best...
              THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE LINK TO YOUR INSTALLER. THAT IS THE KIND OF HELP I WAS LOOKING FOR!

I swear I have been spending like 40 hours across the last few months trying to find solutions to these lingering annoying little problems to make this thing work the way it does on the preloaded Raspberry Pi!

I'll give your post to look over after work I know it's amazing to everyone but Google didn't return that :-)

Thanks again! I am sure that is all I need.

Comment

Originally posted by splumlee View Post

I respectfully disagree. Also you didn't really help me out there. Maybe someone else has a direct answer.

To Matt:
                Within the windows environment you don't get a choice of where you get to put things that's what the purpose of the MSI file is is - to properly set it up.

Within the Linux environment because it is flexible - yes, you can put it wherever you want. However I suspect you have not looked into the back end operations of how homeseer actually operates. There are references to folder structures and other things that get broken (like plug-ins) if you choose to just install it "wherever you want" .

I give up. I don't know what I can say to have people on this form understand that this is not a Linux issue this is a HS3 simple configuration guidance issue.

I know how to Google - I do it every day in my professional career. The problem on the forum is that everyone is just guessing and there is no support from the vendor.

If it makes you feel better I was able to install Linux and move over my profile in about 15 minutes and have a fully functional system. The problem is all the other features on the back end when you start diving into homeseer that don't actually function. Sure the basics work no matter how you half-*** your install, but it is not how I guarantee Homeseer does it.

HS Rant over. Let focus on the original issue.

You can install hs3 wherever you want on windows too.

My point was that there no real difference in the two.

+ If something ( in /HomeSeer folder) is installed in the wrong place in windows or Linux , it can mess up your install in both OS.
                + You can improve your install in both like I said.

Comment

Anyways, In an ideal world. IT Should be better documented for both os .

Personally, i find it far easier to manage on linux versus windows.

Comment

Working...
                  X