Numbers after Event names "Event - 1"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbers after Event names "Event - 1"

I am sure that this is something basic and I am just searching the wrong thing but here is my issue:

It seams that when an event fails to run for some reason, the event name gets changed by appending "- 1" to the name. If it fails again, it gets changed to "- 2" etc.

It seams like this only happens on events that are using scripts but that is probably just because they are the only ones that fail to run because of errors in the script.

I have a number of scripts that are used over about 30 events so when one fails due to my poor programming, all the event names get changed.

So my question is:

Is there a way to stop HS3 from changing the name of my events when I get a failure in my script. Or is there a way to remove these additions to my event names without having to go through each one individually?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Question, do your events share the same name (even if they are in different groups)? I have seen this and I think that might be the issue you are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by philasmith View Post
      I am sure that this is something basic and I am just searching the wrong thing but here is my issue:

It seams that when an event fails to run for some reason, the event name gets changed by appending "- 1" to the name. If it fails again, it gets changed to "- 2" etc.

It seams like this only happens on events that are using scripts but that is probably just because they are the only ones that fail to run because of errors in the script.

I have a number of scripts that are used over about 30 events so when one fails due to my poor programming, all the event names get changed.

So my question is:

Is there a way to stop HS3 from changing the name of my events when I get a failure in my script. Or is there a way to remove these additions to my event names without having to go through each one individually?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
      I will add to what Wayne mentioned by asking if the events with "-1", "-2", etc. are in a new group called "Delayed Events"? If you run an event that calls another event with a delay, HS creates a copy of the event in Delayed Events. If it is already there it will append a number to the duplicate so that they do not share the same name. If you repeatedly create a delayed event before the delay time elapses, you will get duplicates. Also note that the delayed event is created with a specific time trigger. Also if HomeSeer is shut down at the time the delayed event is supposed to run, it will be skipped until the next day at that exact time.

HS does not allow you to create events with the same name in different groups. It will not save the event if the name is the same as another event in a different group.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Yes, thank you both for the replies.

I think you are right. I have 4 rooms that use scripts for lights on, off, up and down. I call the scripts from events and pass in the parameters of what room/lights I am controlling. I did call the Events the same names "Lights On", "Lights Off" etc. and then have them in different groups for each room.

I will go and prefix the script name with the room "BR1", "BR2" etc. That should fix that.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Comment

I will go and prefix the script name with the room "BR1", "BR2" etc. That should fix that.
          Just to be clear, it is the event name that needs to be changed. I assume that's what you meant, but it is important that events have unique names because it does not appear that HS has a mechanism to know which event group an event is in.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks Mike,

I am going to change the name for Bedroom 1 from "Lights Increase" to "BR1 Lights Increase" and Bedroom 2 from "Lights Increase" to "BR2 Lights Increase".

This way, I know that they will all be unique.

Thank you for the help.

Phil

Comment

Yes, thank you both for the replies.

I think you are right. I have 4 rooms that use scripts for lights on, off, up and down. I call the scripts from events and pass in the parameters of what room/lights I am controlling. I did call the Events the same names "Lights On", "Lights Off" etc. and then have them in different groups for each room.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
              Does your script create a delayed event? Just to add one extra element, delayed events that are added to the Delayed Events group are automatically deleted after they are run, so the name of the event only relates to the original delayed event. If you run a delayed event a second time before the delay of the first event lapses, there will be a second event in the Delayed Events group with " -x" appended to it. As each delayed event runs, it is automatically deleted.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
              X