Manual control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual control

I am a HS noob that just purchased equipment a couple weeks ago. I don't have much background in HA, but learn quickly. I have setup a hallway with multiple Jasco/GE Smart motion dimmers and addon switches to control the lights via motion when entering the hallway from different points. This is working well and I have setup dimming for certain times of day and times where the lights don't turn on at all due to ambient lighting.

My challenge now is in setting up manual overrides for the switches. If I turn the light off by hand while standing in front of the switch my events are setup to turn the lights back on because there is motion. I read through this thread and see the use of the term manual, but don't quite understand it's use.

What I am looking to accomplish is to flip a virtual switch when the light switch is manually turned on by hand. This switch will be on a 1 hour timer that disables the automation events that I have setup to turn the lights back on. I know how I would go about setting everything up except how to get that virtual switch toggled when somebody physically turns on the light at the light switch. I'm guessing as a noob I'm one simple post away from a face palm. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Tyborg.

You can set up a virtual variable if you want which would be a flag.

The variable could be turned on or off via the automated by motion and then if there is a manual toggle of the switch it would work looking at the virtual variable.

For a better explanation have a look at the HS3 Event Clinic

I utilize a wireless toggle to turn on and off the garage door open text to speech stuff if I am working in the garage with the door open. When the door closes it resets the flag.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      You can set up a virtual variable if you want which would be a flag.

The variable could be turned on or off via the automated by motion and then if there is a manual toggle of the switch it would work looking at the virtual variable.
      Thanks Pete for the idea, I ended up using a counter because I have multiple motion sensors that come into play with controlling the hallway lighting and a boolean type variable wouldn't be able to keep track of them all. Seems to be working now. It seems like this could be accomplished much simpler if HS distinguished between a device change state by physical toggle and programatic toggle. I feel like I am overlooking a simple function and over complicating the process, but maybe that's just how HS works. As I am just starting I don't want to go down the road of putting together a ton of overly complicated events that could be done with a few simple elegant steps.

Comment

Working...
      X