Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1211526

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1211527

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your trigger only occurs when the Virtual Device changes state. It will not trigger the event just because it is on.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob,

So if I changed the trigger "has been on for at least" as shown below would that make it work the way I want it to?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ando1 View Post
        Thanks Bob,

So if I changed the trigger "has been on for at least" as shown below would that make it work the way I want it to?
        There are many different ways you could achieve what you want and everyone has there own pet methods. Your revised event will probably do what you want but it will trigger several times (once a second) after the conditions (And Ifs) are true because there will be a period of time until the garage door actually changes to closed. You could prevent repeated triggers by setting in Options 'Cannot re-run for' a suitable period of time. However, because the event trigger is not an instant in time the event will keep evaluating every second even though it won't fire as long as the conditions are false. This may have some overhead on the system so personally I avoid this type of trigger if at all possible.

I would probably keep your original event to shut the door when IsNightTime is set to On, with the conditions you have. I would add a second trigger to this event 'Or If the motion sensor changes to No Motion' with the conditions IsNightTime is On and the garage door is open. This event would then also close the door if you open it during nighttime once motion stops.

However, if it is possible to open your garage door without tripping the motion sensor then this case wouldn't be handled. You could add a third trigger 'Or If the garage door has been open for 2 minutes' (adjust time as desired) with conditions of IsNightTime is On and No Motion. This would then also shut the door if it was opened during night time without anybody going in the garage.

I would also change your events that set the IsNightTime virtual device. You don't need to have a recurring trigger that's evaluated every minute because there are native HS3 triggers ' The time is this after Sunset' and 'The time is this before Sunrise'. So you can use a triggers that are only evaluated once a day to set the status of your virtual device.

Of course that is only my opinion and may not be the best way so don't take it as gospel. Randy's event clinic is the place to look for ideas. https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1250

Steve
        Last edited by SteveMSJ; October 21, 2017, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks Steve. That was very helpful. I edited the events to reflect "and if the garage door has been opened for 10 minutes" and also added the "Cannot run again" option set for 5 minutes for both left and right garage door events. The events are working they way I want them to now.

Comment

Working...
          X