No lights on Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No lights on Halloween

How do you set up an event to not turn on the outside lights on 10/31?

cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
      How do you set up an event to not turn on the outside lights on 10/31?
      Use conditions on the event as follows:

IF {Trigger}
      AND IF The date is after 10/31/Y

OR IF {Trigger}
      AND IF The date is Before 10/31/Y

It is important that you use "Y" for the year so that HomeSeer assumes the year ends on 12/31 and begins on 1/1 making the conditions actually

AND IF The date is after 10/31/Y (but before 12/31 - Midnight)
      AND IF The date is Before 10/31/Y (but after 12/31 - Midnight)

It is all explained in the first post in this thread.

Specifically:

A date begins at 12:00:01 AM and ends at 11:59:59 PM. The condition "The date is before" is true until 12:00:00 AM on that date, similarly "The Date is After" is true after midnight on that date. There is a tremendous amount of flexibility in these conditions, but first we should cover one nuance similar to time events. HomeSeer assumes the year begins and ends at midnight on December 31, when you are choosing "Any Year" and when you choose “The date is before” you need to understand that the year begins at 12:00AM on January 1 making the statement “The date is before March 1” really means the date is after December 31 but before March 1. Similarly “The date is after October 31” assumes it is before January 1.

EDIT: I added a second Trigger to the above, because what I initially wrote was incorrect. The modification will work. Thanks to Mike for pointing out my mistake.
      Last edited by randy; November 3, 2017, 12:13 PM.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        IF {Trigger}
        Does this work?
        How can a date be both after and before 10/31? I assumed the 'Y' value for year would cause HS to use the current year to evaluate the condition.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          Does this work?
          How can a date be both after and before 10/31? I assumed the 'Y' value for year would cause HS to use the current year to evaluate the condition.

Comment

IF {Trigger}
            The night of Halloween I set up this event thinking it would work. The lights didn't come on Wed night. After you posted this last night, I tried it again thinking i hadnt enabled it or something. but, this doesn't work as the lights did not come on tonight. what's wrong with it? It looks good to me.
            Need an 'If Not' statement
            If Not 10/31 turn lights on.

I should have repeated the trigger with an OR IF and applied one condition to each trigger.
            I don't seen an OR IF statement.
            Anybody know how EasyTrigger would handle this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
              The night of Halloween I set up this event thinking it would work. The lights didn't come on Wed night. After you posted this last night, I tried it again thinking i hadnt enabled it or something. but, this doesn't work as the lights did not come on tonight. what's wrong with it? It looks good to me.
              Need an 'If Not' statement
              If Not 10/31 turn lights on.

I don't seen an OR IF statement.
              Anybody know how EasyTrigger would handle this scenario?
              I apologize. I wrote the event incorrectly and after Uncle Michael pointed out my mistake I corrected it.

An OR IF can be created as you add conditions after the first IF statement. After an IF statement you will be given a choice of AND IF or OR IF for subsequent conditions. If you chose AND IF it will be a condition applied to the trigger. If you chose OR IF, it will be a fresh trigger in the same event, separated by a small gap from the first trigger and condition(s). You can utilize the same trigger for each group. For example:

IF The Time is 8:00PM
              AND IF The Date is before 10/31/Y

OR IF The Time is 8:00PM

THEN Set the front porch lights to ON

Read through this thread and it might help clarify.

Comment

Working...
              X