Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manually triggered event - Logic IF/Then not working??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manually triggered event - Logic IF/Then not working??

Hello!
    I'm migrating (slowwwwwly) from h2 to hs3.

I have a simple?? problem in creating a manual event, as apparently the HS3 does not respect the logic of the "If/Then"statement
    The purpose of the event is, using Alexa's voice:
    1. Turn on the security system (Security on event)
    2. Verify that all ports and windows are closed (Check Integrity event)
    3. If they are closed do nothing because the security system, when the timing is over will activate (Check Integrity event)
    4. If any door or window is open, turn off the alarm system and notify by vocal synthesis (Check Integrity event)

The problem is that the actions of the "Check Integrity" event (Capture2) will ALWAYS run regardless of the status (ON / OFF) of the GTS CPUXA Secu16 Unit2 Integrity ....

If I delete the first constraint (the event is no longer triggered manually) the IF / Then logic starts to function as expected ....

The execution of a manually triggered event can't be conditional???

I'm missing something?

Can someone help?

Thanks
    Attached Files

I believe that this is normal and expected what you are experiencing. Manually triggered events are not logic dependent, at least not in my experience either.

My recommendation, if you don't have an alarm panel or other hardware to arm system with, would be to create a virtual device in Homeseer called "Alarm" or "Security" and turn this device "On" through an event or Hstouch or however you want. Then change your event posted to look for this device turning "On" to start the event and test logic.

Comment

Originally posted by ANTOLIVEIRA View Post
      Hello!
      I'm migrating (slowwwwwly) from h2 to hs3.

I have a simple?? problem in creating a manual event, as apparently the HS3 does not respect the logic of the "If/Then"statement
      The purpose of the event is, using Alexa's voice:
      1. Turn on the security system (Security on event)
      2. Verify that all ports and windows are closed (Check Integrity event)
      3. If they are closed do nothing because the security system, when the timing is over will activate (Check Integrity event)
      4. If any door or window is open, turn off the alarm system and notify by vocal synthesis (Check Integrity event)

The problem is that the actions of the "Check Integrity" event (Capture2) will ALWAYS run regardless of the status (ON / OFF) of the GTS CPUXA Secu16 Unit2 Integrity ....

If I delete the first constraint (the event is no longer triggered manually) the IF / Then logic starts to function as expected ....

The execution of a manually triggered event can't be conditional???

I'm missing something?

Can someone help?

Thanks
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174310

If you want the conditions to be honored from an Echo command, create an intermediate event that you call from Echo, which calls the second event, honoring conditions.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for the answers and suggestions

If I put the same decision structure in a script does the logic still not work?

it seems to me unacceptable that a manual event can not have an aggregate decision-making structure ...

Since it can not have a decisional structure, the event becomes only a set of actions ...

I do not understand the need to complicate a situation that would be of logical and intuitive resolution ... more: if a manual event can not contain decisional logic why does the event creation mechanism allow this?

I have several situations of this kind. I live in a beautiful and small city in Portugal (EU) It is not easy to acquire advanced hardware with the absolute certainty that it will work with Homeseer HERE in Portugal, even if I buy it in the USA, because in some cases there are problems of timmings related to the differences in the frequency of the electrical network (60HZ to 50Hz)... other times the same hardware reference has in europe different firmwares ... The telephone system is also different ... The washing and drying machines do not have open communication protocols, so the only way to control them is to do some kind of hack, which forces me to have several digital inputs and outputs and some information handling ability on the HomeSeer side... this is exactly what happens with my alarm system ...

of course I can always get around the problem by adding a microcontroller, but again is to complicate a situation that could be simpler...

I really liked these things to be simpler.

Comment

If I put the same decision structure in a script does the logic still not work?
          A script will allow you to use logic as complex as you choose. I routinely defer to a script to incorporate more involved logical sequences.

it seems to me unacceptable that a manual event can not have an aggregate decision-making structure ...
          Since it can not have a decisional structure, the event becomes only a set of actions ...
          I'm not sure why it is unacceptable. Your second statement is accurate. An event is a set of actions. One set only. Does it have to be that way? No, I don't think so, but that is how HS is designed to work. If you want to have alternative actions based on alternative conditions, then two or more events will be required. That is, the logic can be constructed, but it will be external to a single event.

I do not understand the need to complicate a situation that would be of logical and intuitive resolution ... more: if a manual event can not contain decisional logic why does the event creation mechanism allow this?
          I do not understand your question. Are you asking about honoring conditions on a manual event? It is true that when you press the 'Run' symbol on the event page that the conditions are ignored. I suspect that was done so that it would be possible to test the event actions without having to worry about whether the conditions will satisfied. But, if you run the event as an action of another event you have the choice of checking the conditions or ignoring them.

I have several situations of this kind. I live in a beautiful and small city in Portugal (EU) It is not easy to acquire advanced hardware with the absolute certainty that it will work with Homeseer HERE in Portugal, even if I buy it in the USA, because in some cases there are problems of timmings related to the differences in the frequency of the electrical network (60HZ to 50Hz)... other times the same hardware reference has in europe different firmwares ... The telephone system is also different ... The washing and drying machines do not have open communication protocols, so the only way to control them is to do some kind of hack, which forces me to have several digital inputs and outputs and some information handling ability on the HomeSeer side... this is exactly what happens with my alarm system ...

of course I can always get around the problem by adding a microcontroller, but again is to complicate a situation that could be simpler...

I really liked these things to be simpler.
          I would too, but it's not clear how HS could help. Do you have specific suggestions?
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thank you for the effort to respond in detail to my questions.

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            A script will allow you to use logic as complex as you choose. I routinely defer to a script to incorporate more involved logical sequences.
            I am referring exclusively to a manually triggered event

I'm not sure why it is unacceptable. Your second statement is accurate. An event is a set of actions. One set only. Does it have to be that way? No, I don't think so, but that is how HS is designed to work.
            I am a homeseer user since 2000. I am therefore 17 years old
            I have a few dozen, basic events and scripts made over these 17 years since version 1.?.? For me it is hard to accept that what I did without any difficulty 17 years ago is now more complicated to do ...

If you want to have alternative actions based on alternative conditions, then two or more events will be required. That is, the logic can be constructed, but it will be external to a single event.
            It seems to me that most likely due to my English, which is bad , you didn't fully understood my issue

I do not understand your question. Are you asking about honoring conditions on a manual event? It is true that when you press the 'Run' symbol on the event page that the conditions are ignored. I suspect that was done so that it would be possible to test the event actions without having to worry about whether the conditions will satisfied. But, if you run the event as an action of another event you have the choice of checking the conditions or ignoring them.
            Following my question and according to rxatwell's recommendation, which I think will be the easiest way to solve my problem, I still need to create a virtual device... in previous releases oh HS this type of situations was very well solved... directly and intuitively

The event creation mechanism itself allows you to insert logic into a manually triggered event, (when in practice this logic is never respected) which does not seem logical to me

I understand and agree with what you are referring to. What was in discussion is that when an event set as manual trigger is activated by another event it continues to not honor the logic inside it (please see my initial post).

I would too, but it's not clear how HS could help. Do you have specific suggestions?
            Obviously my suggestion would be that if it were possible to create decision structures (IF / THEN) within a manually triggered event, as it happened in earlier versions of the HS

Comment

What was in discussion is that when an event set as manual trigger is activated by another event it continues to not honor the logic inside it (please see my initial post).
              I apologize if I am still not understanding your question, but I do appreciate the difficulty in trying to express a technical question in a second language. (I wish I had the ability to try to answer you in Portuguese. )

What you are describing should work. It works for me routinely.
              I can only think of two reasons for the problem you are having.

The first possibility is that there is database error in one of your events. Something happened when you were creating the event that caused the representation of the event in the database to be damaged. The only way I know to resolve a problem like that is to create one or both of the linked events again fresh (without copying from the existing ones that do not work).

The other possibility is less likely, given your experience, but I include it for completeness. Just as in HS2, the event action that runs the second event has to explicitly state that the event conditions be evaluated by checking the box next to "Run only if other event conditions are true." I've attached an example of one of my events for clarity. (I run this event from a button press in HSTouch, and use this sequence of events to force HS to check conditions.

If that box is checked in your calling event, then I'm afraid the first possibility is the problem.
              Attached Files
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

A manual event can have conditional logic. I use it heavily. Have you followed the link that rparde posted?!! It describes what you need to do to make the manual event's conditions apply. I'm guessing there are valid reasons why it's not the default behavior.

If you follow the directions posted by rparde, you will find a checkbox (as you can see in my attached screen capture) to enable the checking of conditions within a manually triggered event. It's as simple as that.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by lveatch; December 7, 2017, 01:56 PM.
                Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                Number of Devices: 633
                Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  (I wish I had the ability to try to answer you in Portuguese. )

Unlike HS technical problems, this is easy to solve; come here, you will learn quickly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXbTDiMt4No

What you are describing should work. It works for me routinely.

I can only think of two reasons for the problem you are having.

The first possibility is that there is database error in one of your events. Something happened when you were creating the event that caused the representation of the event in the database to be damaged. The only way I know to resolve a problem like that is to create one or both of the linked events again fresh (without copying from the existing ones that do not work).

Solved: After deleting and creating again the events...
                  Thanks for the tip! Now everything works as expected...

The other possibility is less likely, given your experience, but I include it for completeness. Just as in HS2, the event action that runs the second event has to explicitly state that the event conditions be evaluated by checking the box next to "Run only if other event conditions are true." I've attached an example of one of my events for clarity. (I run this event from a button press in HSTouch, and use this sequence of events to force HS to check conditions.

Yes, this was already checked!

If that box is checked in your calling event, then I'm afraid the first possibility is the problem.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
                    A manual event can have conditional logic. I use it heavily. Have you followed the link that rparde posted?!! It describes what you need to do to make the manual event's conditions apply. I'm guessing there are valid reasons why it's not the default behavior.

If you follow the directions posted by rparde, you will find a checkbox (as you can see in my attached screen capture) to enable the checking of conditions within a manually triggered event. It's as simple as that.
                    This is already solved. Thank You!

I really was not figuring out how a manual firing event could not have logic attached ... it simply did not make sense ... it was unacceptable

Comment

Unlike HS technical problems, this is easy to solve; come here, you will learn quickly
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXbTDiMt4No

That's a tempting suggestion. You've got me thinking...
                      Solved: After deleting and creating again the events...
                      Thanks for the tip! Now everything works as expected...
                      That's a relief. Glad you were able to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X