Using Alexa, IFTTT and Events, time not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Alexa, IFTTT and Events, time not working properly

I have an event setup that is manually triggered from an IFTTT Alexa applet because my wife and I use Alexa as our morning alarm. Since she gets up early and leaves early (still dark), I wanted an automation that turns lights on in the kitchen for her. The Alexa/Homeseer applet in IFTTT works great and triggers the Homeseer Event every time the Alexa Alarm wakes us up, it turns the kitchen light on. However, I don't need them coming on when my alarm goes off and its already after sunrise. The event is only supposed to turn the lights on if it is 10 minutes before sunrise. However it turns them on no matter time of day if an Alexa Alarm goes off.

Any help would be great.

EDIT: I just realized that you're turning on a virtual device manually (or from another event). However, my earlier comment is still valid. Unless it is exactly 10 minutes before sunrise, you're virtual device will not be set to ON. I would change that to remove the MANUALLY triggered portion and just run it using the Time trigger. Something like this:

Morning Event:
    At 10 minutes before sunrise
    Turn OFF morning light device

You'll need something to turn OFF the device later in the day - something like this maybe:

Later Event:
    At 10 minutes after sunset (or any time you like)
    Turn ON morning light device

Then use your virtual device (Interior Kitchen / Kitchen Island Lights) as a condition with your morning alarm events. If device is ON, then turn on light...
    Last edited by NetworkGuy; April 3, 2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

What doesn't make sense is I have also tried this time variable and still get the same result, lights turn on no matter time of day:

"The time is nighttime (after sunset, before sunrise)"

Comment

I'm not an expert, but the time trigger works well for me. Here's an example of what I was thinking. Then I would use your virtual device ("Test Time Device" in my example) as a "AND IF" condition.

Alarm Event:
        IF Alarm time
        Turn ON (audible) alarm
        Run another event (respecting that event's conditions)

Light Event
        If run manually
        AND IF Test Time Device is ON
        Turn lights ON

You might want to post a picture of your alarm event too. It may be something there.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NetworkGuy; April 3, 2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtmatthew View Post
          What doesn't make sense is I have also tried this time variable and still get the same result, lights turn on no matter time of day:

"The time is nighttime (after sunset, before sunrise)"
          The key here is that triggering the event from an outside source such as Alexa will not respect your event conditions. To get the event to work the way you want it to will require an intermediate event.

The Alexa alarm triggers the intermediate event (it can have a manual trigger). It's action will be to run your 'MorningWakeUp' event if the event conditions are true. I've attached an example of an event that is run when I press a button on an HSTouch tablet to tell HS we are going to bed and to put the house to sleep. (Same problem as triggering with Alexa.) The button press runs an event that just runs the event I want, but forces the conditions to be honored.
          Attached Files
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
          X