Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

include Dynamic Delays in Event triggers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

include Dynamic Delays in Event triggers?

Wondered if anyone has setup something like this (it would be a nice feature or plugin - but I haven't seen these?)

Goal... delay an event, or skip the next execution of an event

Type of Delays... # of minutes, skip next, skip until tomorrow, etc. Ability to use Voice (Google/Alexa/etc) to set delay.

Example:
    Normal Event based on Time... Espresso Machine 'on' @ 7:30pm (daily)

:: if I'm not feeling like espresso, I'd like to delay until the next day (skip until tomorrow)... or if I'm going to be home late maybe delay turn-on for an hour

thx

This can be achieved now with my Alexa helper. Your normal recurring event would need to run a very small script but very easy to implement .
    Jon

Comment

Have you decided how you are going to tell Homeseer that you do not feel like Expresso today? Or that you want to delay one hour? With answers to those questions, deciding how to implement will be easier!

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        This can be achieved now with my Alexa helper. Your normal recurring event would need to run a very small script but very easy to implement .
        Would be great to see an example of how you do it... I looked at your plugin and the thread (its too largeto read) and didnt see anything obvious that led me to see how you are doing it.

thx

Comment

Ok, so my Alexa helper has the ability to set timed events via voice. Please take a look at the example shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Expresso.PNG
Views:	163
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1268951

You could say something like:

Alexa, ask Homeseer to delay the expresso machine until seven thirty A.M.
          Alexa, ask Homeseer to change the expresso machine event to run tomorrow at seven fifteen A.M.

In either case, the Expresso Machine On (Trigger47) would be triggered and the time and date information extracted from Alexa. This would then set the event "Expresso Machine On" to run at the specified time.

Rather than using a recurring event to trigger "Expresso Machine On" to run daily, you need to get this event to set a daily timed event. Whist this cannot be set via the HS event engine directly, it can be set via a small script:

Code:
              Sub Main(ByVal Parm As Object)
                  Dim d As Date = DateTime.Parse(DateTime.Today.AddDays(1) & " 07:15:00")
                  Dim RefVal As Integer = hs.GetEventRefByName("Expresso Machine On")
                  Dim res As Boolean = hs.EventSetTimeTrigger(RefVal, d)
                  hs.SaveEventsDevices()
              End Sub
          This could be run by the "Espresso Machine On" event. This would then set the same timed event to run the next day at 7:15AM. If you do override this timed event via Alexa, then it will run at the new time specified.

Jon

Comment

Jon00,
            Thank you for the explanation. I'll try it this week when I get some time.

Just a thought - would be interesting if we could do this all within the plugin without modifying the original events. This would provide the benefit of having normal events and Alexa Helper handles outlier scenarios. Keeps HS3 a bit cleaner IMO and easier to follow later down the line as guys like us run hundreds of events

Example...
            Within the plugin you add:
            - identify which event(s) to disable If the 'Alexa Timed Event' is set to run
            - identify which event(s) to enable After the 'Alexa Timed Event' runs.
            - User creates script for each scenario (a given event could have multiple scenarios - which is also why you could disable multiple events) *you already have the row for this*
            - Alexa Helper passes the 'Alexa Text' to the script for logic to determine which case to use. Allowing commands like "Skip today", "Don't run tonight", "off until tomorrow", etc all using a single script, and single 'Alexa Helper Trigger'

thoughts?

Comment

I don't think a plugin is feasible as there would be very little interest in it. I've never seen another post requesting such functionality. Even when I added the timed event feature to my helper, I don't believe it has really been used by anyone.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                I don't think a plugin is feasible as there would be very little interest in it. I've never seen another post requesting such functionality. Even when I added the timed event feature to my helper, I don't believe it has really been used by anyone.
                I suspect its more of an awareness issue. I bet many people dont know your plugin exists and/or what it can do.
                I no idea what your plugin did. I assumed I didnt need it since I got most of what I wanted from the normal Alexa functionality.

Comment

Working...
                X