Detect Z-Wave Controller Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detect Z-Wave Controller Failure

I want to create an event that tells me if the Z-Wave controller is not working correctly (some form of watchdog). I have Z-net. Can someone receommend how? I currently ping the z-net but this doesn't confirm the Z-Wave controller is actually fully functional.

I have an "extra" switch that I switch off then on, by a recurring event every 5 minutes. I have a second event that triggers an error message if that device ever goes "unknown" state.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
      I have an "extra" switch that I switch off then on, by a recurring event every 5 minutes. I have a second event that triggers an error message if that device ever goes "unknown" state.
      That sounds sensible. You would of thought there's some kind of Z-wave controller error handling triggers available like comms error, network state, failure etc..

Have you done any kind redundancy Z-wave? i.e if the Main controller fails, can a secondary controller take over..

Comment

That would be above my pay grade; but a wonderful idea if someone can make it work.

Comment

How do you specify "unknown" in an event? The reason I ask is that i had one of lock indicate Status = Unknown, but Device value = 0 which happens to be a legitimate value and the last known state.
          In other words, how does one trigger on Status instead of Device value?

Comment

I mis-stated, the actual trigger, for my Leviton switch, is a "An Error or Invalid State" which is in the drop-down for that switch. There is also an "Unknown(Value)".

If something is like "Error....Invalid" is not on the drop-down for your device, look at he device page status-value pairs(Status Graphics tab) and see if there is a value assigned to "Error,,,Invalid".

You also could try removing power from the lock, then send a command and see what value is set in the HS device.

Comment

You also could try removing power from the lock, then send a command and see what value is set in the HS device.

BobSpen you read my mind. After I posted my question I was like "duh! I can reproduce node unreachable just by taking the batteries out."

Comment

Also worth noting is there are two ways a device can become “Unknown”. One is if the status goes to Unknown and the other when hs.DeviceInvalidValue = True. The latter will not show in the Status/Value of the device, only in the PED for the device. The Error/Unknown trigger is by the PED data.

This thread may help.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  Also worth noting is there are two ways a device can become “Unknown”. One is if the status goes to Unknown and the other when hs.DeviceInvalidValue = True. The latter will not show in the Status/Value of the device, only in the PED for the device. The Error/Unknown trigger is by the PED data.

This thread may help.
                  Thanks Randy, always appreciate your history and knowledge of HS.

Comment

Working...
                  X