Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to track a manual event back to the event that runs it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to track a manual event back to the event that runs it?

I have many manual events that are run by other events. I have not found a way to track back to the primary event that runs the manual event. Am I correct that this cannot be done? Thanks, Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

What do you mean by “track back”? If you just want to know which event triggered the manual event, it should show up in the log. The initial event is logged followed by the event it triggered.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Johnson View Post
      What do you mean by “track back”? If you just want to know which event triggered the manual event, it should show up in the log. The initial event is logged followed by the event it triggered.

Mike
      Yes, I know I can find it in the log. However, what I would like to see when I look at a manual event is which events are linked to and run the manual event within their event. I guess this should be on a list of future features.
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

I thought you meant during or after execution. Sounds like you're looking for more of a map or flow chart. I have no idea if that's possible.

One thing you might be able to do, if it's not too much manual work for your set up, is manually list the triggering events in the 'Notes' section of the manual event (located next to 'Event Name:' ). Of course, if you have lots of events and change them a lot, it might be hard to keep up with the list(s).

Mike

Comment

Look at Jon’s event viewer. Maybe suggest this if something like this isn’t there.

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

Yes, I know I can find it in the log. However, what I would like to see when I look at a manual event is which events are linked to and run the manual event within their event. I guess this should be on a list of future features.
            Jon00’s Event Viewer and Documenter will allow you to filter your events on a number of different things, among them other events or a text search. Using that tool you can find the events calling other events. If I have an event called by a handful of different events this tool will find all instances.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...wer-documenter

You can be very careful in putting keys in the calling and called event names for filtering in the log. I have used a short character string at the end of event names for the purpose of diagnosis, then filter the log on that string and get only the events (both called and calling) to see when they ran.

Finally you can put writelog immediate script actions in both events and filter on that. I use a logtype of “Trace” so I can filter the log on Trace entries.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I think Jon00's Event Viewer will provide what I am looking for. Elliott

Comment

Working...
              X