Run HVAC fan when heating/cooling complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run HVAC fan when heating/cooling complete

After doing some testing, I have noticed that my thermostats shut off when heating is complete, but there is still plenty of heat in the metal of furnace and if the fan is on for 5-10 minutes it still puts out heat.

Any ideas on how to create this? I am kind of at a stump.

I run an event which turns on the fan when the furnace stops heating with a delayed event which shuts it off after 5 minutes. Very easy to do.
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
      I run an event which turns on the fan when the furnace stops heating with a delayed event which shuts it off after 5 minutes. Very easy to do.

Couldn't your event set the fan to on a minute or so after the thermostat calls for heat, then set it back to auto a few minutes after the thermostat switches to off? That would avoid having the fan stop and restart when heating stops.

Comment

My fan speed is variable and depending on the heat stage sets the speed . The fan is dc anyway.
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          My fan speed is variable and depending on the heat stage sets the speed . The fan is dc anyway.
          Interesting. My Trane fan speed is variable too, but it does continue to run for a little while after shutdown. It slowly ramps down to zero (it also slowly ramps up). It is nice in that you hardly notice the unit coming on or off. Setting the fan to on while the unit is off causes it to blow at 30%. Setting it to on while the unit is running does not alter blower speed.

Comment

Something to try when I get back.

thanks

Comment

This is a good idea. I typically leave my HVAC fan, also variable speed, running when we are home; but on auto when not. Been doing this for 20+ years as it helped my son's allergies.

I have a temp sensor taped to the outside of the metal plenum to capture it's internal temperature. May not be 100% accurate, but I think it's close enough for who it's for. Based on my HVAC, I have about 20 minutes of heat still in the system after the thermostat stops calling for heat with the fan still running.

To avoid the short fan cycle, I was thinking of turn the HVAC fan from "auto" to "on" when heating/cooling is called for and then back to auto 20 minutes after it stops calling for heat/cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	98
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	1273545
              Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
              Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
              Number of Devices: 633
              Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.54.0: BLBackup