Right way to toggle with external control possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
    External or voice control typically allows only on/off or a value range.
    I don't know the answer to this, but it seems surprising if that's the case.

I'd like to have some flexibility for toggling the home or vacation modes. Home On or Off, Vacation On or Off.
    Easy enough with multiple virtual devices.
    I don't see using a percentage to fake out a mode as a viable wife-friendly approach. As faking it as a dimmer as a way to use a value from a list.
    Typically, 1 is off, 100 is on. That leaves 98 other values in between to do with as you please.

So I get into having a virtual Mode device for any of the timeclock modes I'd like to trigger. This would, presumably, also mean having a truth table for the other virtual modes. It's a cascade of setting one, that sets others that always confuses me a bit. Because if I set "Home Mode" to On then there'd have to be logic that set the others to Off, along with the Timeclock mode itself.
    Yes, there would need to be some logic, but that's doable. I have one that's set up that way. A script would likely make it easier to code, but with Homeseer events, you simply have multiple events that set the logic. So, for your Timeclock mode, you would create 4 virtual devices; Normal, Away, Suspend, and Alternate, each with On/Off capability. You would then create 4 Events.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Events.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1276283

Comment

But that would only handle turning each virtual device ON. I'd then also need to have a set of events for OFF, correct? That's where I was getting concerned about possible looping or cascading triggers. Because there I'd be assuming "Alexa, turn Vacation Mode off" would mean changing to the Normal mode and setting the Home Mode virtual device to On.
      Yes, I think so.

Then have an event that tracks each mode of the repeater itself, to properly handle an app or anything else changing the mode externally from Homeseer.

if "timeclock mode" changes and becomes "Normal" (from the drop-down).
      set 'home mode' to on
      set 'away mode to off
      set 'alternate mode' to off

And one each of this for all of the potential modes.
      Actually, once you set up the Virtual status devices (4 of them, one for each mode), you use that group of devices as the status for all events. So, you would create events that update the status of the virtual devices when the Lutron device changes state. Something like, If LutronRA2 changes and becomes Normal, set virtual device 'Normal' to On. The logic events would in turn take care of the other modes, turning them off. So any events would look at your virtual devices to make decisions.

There may be a way to simplify this even further, but I haven't gotten there yet. A script would certainly have lots of potential, but that's another subject. I've been trying to keep it in terms of Homeseer events (for both your situation and mine). Since there is no 'else' capability in Homeseer events, it takes a few more events to accomplish things.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Johnson View Post
        Actually, once you set up the Virtual status devices (4 of them, one for each mode), you use that group of devices as the status for all events. So, you would create events that update the status of the virtual devices when the Lutron device changes state. Something like, If LutronRA2 changes and becomes Normal, set virtual device 'Normal' to On. The logic events would in turn take care of the other modes, turning them off. So any events would look at your virtual devices to make decisions.
        You've definitely helped with the 'is set to' vs 'changes and becomes' (a point I keep missing).

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "group of devices as the status"?

I've as yet not made much use of the group features of events. Or are you not talking about a HS 'group' and just the overall concept of them as a group?

Comment

You've definitely helped with the 'is set to' vs 'changes and becomes' (a point I keep missing).

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "group of devices as the status"?

I've as yet not made much use of the group features of events. Or are you not talking about a HS 'group' and just the overall concept of them as a group?
          Not the HS Group Conditions or Group Actions features in Events, but you definitely might want to create an HS Event Group since you'll have several events associated with this task. What I meant by group was the group of 4 virtual devices you create called 'Normal Mode', 'Away Mode', 'Suspend Mode', and 'Alternate Mode' (or whatever you end up calling them). Those 4 devices become the determining factor as to which state or mode you are currently in. Once you get the toggle logic set up so that only one is 'On' at a time, you can then have events make their decisions based on the status of those devices, and you can also change the status of one of them (and your logic events will change the other 3). So, since you said the Lutron HS device updates instantly when the Lutron hardware changes, you can have an event that senses that change and sets your 'Mode' virtual devices to match. In turn, you can have the Lutron HS device update to match your virtual 'Mode' devices, if you want to.

This is where "changes and becomes" is very important. For example, if you have an event that changes the Lutron device to 'Normal' when you manually change your 'Normal Mode' device to "On", and you also have an event that changes your 'Normal Mode' device to "On" when the Lutron device is set to "Normal", you would have a loop if you don't use "changes and becomes". Look at it step by step. You manually change your 'Normal Mode' device to "On". The Lutron event that you will have created (let's call it "Lutron Trigger") sees that your 'Normal Mode' device "changed and became" "On", so it changes the Lutron device to "Normal" mode. The other event the you will have created (let's call it "Normal Mode Trigger") sees that the Lutron device "changed and became" "Normal", so it sets your 'Normal Mode' virtual device to "On". But, since it's already "On", your "Lutron Trigger" event stops the loop, since your 'Normal Mode' device didn't "change and become" "On" (it was already On). So your events now sit idle, waiting for something to change.

And to clarify, all of this back and forth is because you need separate on/off devices to track the current mode of the Lutron device. And that's all this bunch of events will do - keep your 'Mode' devices and the Lutron device (with its pulldown menu) in perfect sync all of the time. You then can set either one and the other will follow, and read either one, giving you the flexibility to use either type (pulldown or on/off), depending on the needs of each method of interfacing that you use.

There may be simpler ways of achieving this tracking, but I'm not sure what they would be. If it were me, at this point I would set up the devices and the tracking to make sure it all works as proof of concept, then analyze it to see if anything dawns on me that would make it simpler. If not, proof of concept would remain in service!

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X