Timer/counter for bathroom fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timer/counter for bathroom fan?

Would like to come up with something a little better for my bathroom fans. Right now they are just on a regular WS-100 and the event is set to wait 25 minutes after the device changes to on, then it turns it off. It is simple, but it mostly works. The downside is if you manually turn it off before than 25 minutes, homeseer then ends up shutting it off again at the 25 minute mark. What I would like to do is have it be some sort of a counter/timer-not sure which would be better at this point as I'm not quite understanding the difference well- that would increment 15 minutes for everytime the paddle is tapped. Tap it once, the fan runs for 15 minutes, tap it again before it is off-add another 15 minutes. How would I do this?

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
    Would like to come up with something a little better for my bathroom fans. Right now they are just on a regular WS-100 and the event is set to wait 25 minutes after the device changes to on, then it turns it off. It is simple, but it mostly works. The downside is if you manually turn it off before than 25 minutes, homeseer then ends up shutting it off again at the 25 minute mark. What I would like to do is have it be some sort of a counter/timer-not sure which would be better at this point as I'm not quite understanding the difference well- that would increment 15 minutes for everytime the paddle is tapped. Tap it once, the fan runs for 15 minutes, tap it again before it is off-add another 15 minutes. How would I do this?
    With a WS-100 you can trigger an event with the bottom paddle tap to delete a delayed action or to stop the timer. You can also use a counter that increments each time you tap the top and a 15 minute timer that restarts at 15 minutes whenever the counter is greater than 0. Can you post screenshots of the involved Events? My bathroom fan looks at time motion and door position, such that it shuts off after 15 minutes of no motion and door being open. It will run as long as the door is closed or if there is motion. If it is turned off manually, it waits for the next time to start the process over.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

This is my regular event. I guess I'm not sure how to create an event like you described. Click image for larger version  Name:	bathfan.png Views:	2 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	1277259
      Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a motion sensor in the bathroom?

Here is is what I would do:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECC2F584-8732-4332-9083-6B1E0D6DAA0C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	24.1 KB ID:	1277267

The On Event removes any previously created Delayed Device Actions then creates a fresh one to turn the fan Off after 15 minutes. The result is that the fan will turn Off 15 minutes after the last press of the upper paddle. Each time you press the button the time starts over. If you turn the fan Off before the time is up, it won’t matter, because if you turn it back on immediately, it will delete the Delayed Device Action and start the 15 minute timer.

If you want you can create a double tap event that will set it for a 30 minute delay.

Comment

For a delayed device action to work, don't you need another event? In your example the first then statement?

Comment

For a delayed device action to work, don't you need another event? In your example the first then statement?
            No. A Delayed Device Action creates its own Event. Read here.

Comment

I copied your event and it seems like it is working. So just to make sure I understand this, for every time the scene one key is pressed, it will remove the previous event of turning it off after 15 minutes? Eventually I would like to have it incorporate a humidity sensor but that is down the road.

Comment

I copied your event and it seems like it is working. So just to make sure I understand this, for every time the scene one key is pressed, it will remove the previous event of turning it off after 15 minutes? Eventually I would like to have it incorporate a humidity sensor but that is down the road.
                Yes that is how it works. Removing a Delayed Device Action is a useful tool for all sorts of delays that you might want to cancel. They are better for longer delays where the Wait Action you used initially is better for shorter delays. You can read about the Wait Action in the Event Clinic.

Comment

just an idea for bathroom fan, this is what I did and works well:
                  built a vox kit, which is a vox controlled switch, cut a small hole in the wall in back of the pipe that goes to the shower and cabled tied the mike from the vox to the pipe
                  now when the water get turned it turns the bathroom fan on and I just send a off command it 8:00 am, hope this helps someone
                  ebay number for the vox is 182167126825

Comment

Working...
                  X