How can I find out what is triggering an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I find out what is triggering an event

I have a virtual switch which is being turned off, and I need to find out what is turning it off. It is not an event, it must be triggered by something else. I do suspect it might be a script changing the device, but I cannot find it. All my scripts leave a line in the the log, When this device changes state, there is no script running and I cannot find any clues in the log. In the log there is no trace of the virtual switch turning off. Just when I turn it on, I can see it. None of my events is turning that switch off via an action.
    After a lot of digging, I found that if a value of a device goes over a certain vale, that triggers the device change. I used to have an event which did that. But that event does not exist any more !

FWIW, I just resolved an issue with an Insteon appliance switch turning itself ON. I searched events for any reference to the device and could not find one.

As some history, this device was once used for a different purpose than now. There were some events that dealt with the device in the older purpose but those have long been deleted.

The solution to stop the unsolicited ON behavior, I did a factory reset, manually deleted the old device in the insteon plugin. Then I re-added the device and it has not turned itself ON since.

Comment

That is my plan B. Delete the virtual switch, and recreate it. But that is a lot of work, I am hoping for a way to find the culprit...

Comment

I had a device turning ON and I could never find any events controlling it. I was about to write it off as a bad Z-Wave device, then I remembered: Linked Devices.
        I had it linked to another device and totally forgot about it. The bad thing about it is that there is nothing in the Device Status screen that shows linked devices.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          I had a device turning ON and I could never find any events controlling it. I was about to write it off as a bad Z-Wave device, then I remembered: Linked Devices.
          I had it linked to another device and totally forgot about it. The bad thing about it is that there is nothing in the Device Status screen that shows linked devices.
          I have a couple of linked devices and I add "Linked" to the names of them as a reminder.

Comment

Jon00's device viewer utility makes it super easy to file linked devices. It's saved me some headaches in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by jhopple View Post
              Jon00's device viewer utility makes it super easy to file linked devices. It's saved me some headaches in the past.
              I havent installed that yet, but thats a good idea. Unfortunately in this case I know its not linked.

Comment

If it's an event causing the device change, have you tried Jon00EventList utility? It lists events which have run... Here's an example.

Click image for larger version

Name:	events.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1285347
                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yes, I have that, and checked. Its not an event as far as I can see. Its very strange

Comment

Working...
                  X